Blow by b5000

Neire

Equipment
B5000
Jun 11, 2017
Belgium
Hi,

I know blow by is not good but i'm wondering if it is just not good for the tractor or really bad?

With other words, if i do nothing about it, will it cause serious problems or is it just an indication it is starting to get old?

I use my little tractor about 50 hours a year for all kinds of work. From tilling to pulling.. I always try to treat her with care.

If i check the oil when cold. The first time its overfilled. The second time its bit under full.

When hot its about 5mm under full. Not sure but i think the tank gets little bit filled by fuel.

Last service was about 10 hours ago. Oil and filter

I added a small vid to show amount of blow by in idle

https://vimeo.com/226766598?ref=em-v-share

Thanks in advance

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Blow by is typical for an older engine. There is little you can do to "stop" it other than a complete rebuild. It is not really "bad" for the engine, other than the obvious problems your are describing. It is an indication that fuel and pressure are getting around the rings.

Your blow by is not that bad, I have blow-by that bad on one of my machines that has something like 2000 hours on it.

It is possible for the diesel to get by the rings and add levels to the oil.

What oil are you using? Make sure you are using a DIESEL oil, and depending on weather conditions, make the weight work to your advantage!

I would keep everything checked as you have been and not worry about it until it becomes a problem that you can no longer deal with.

You can add some additives to the fuel that will try to help the rings, conditioners and lubricators will help, but they are simply a band-aide fix.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
85 Hokie has good advice for you. I would add a few thoughts.

Newer engines have positive crankcase ventilation systems for environmental reasons, obviously your tractor does not have such as system which, at its age is a good thing.

You should enlighten yourself about the term "diesel slobber."

A diesel engine needs to be under a serious load to seat and keep seated the piston rings. By serious load I don't mean high rev's but high pressures in the cylinder which force the rings against the cylinders.

Sometimes owners will post that their tractors were blowing smoke and not running very well until they loaned the machine to a neighbor to plow fields for a few days and suddenly, when the tractor is returned to them, it is running much better and smoking less.

People will be wanting to us the hydraulic system on their tractor to run a wood splitter. This means long hours at high rev's but no real load on the engine. These are the conditions that can harm an engine.

Dave M7040

Neire

Equipment
B5000
Jun 11, 2017
Belgium
Ok thanks guys!

I'm using it for small agricultural use. Tilling, Culting pulling some loads etc..

It might be old and light and not the prettiest one.. but it is a verry handy help for the small farm!

I just want to treat it right so i can have a lot of fun with it ;)

About the oil, i do not know right now, i did not do latest service.. have to ask the service guy to have a bottle in spare, just in case if i need to add some.

The guy who did it is a oldtimer fan and has some beautifull fords in his house so i trust him :)

I just cant seem to remember if my tractor did the blow by before service. I know it did when under heavy load but cant tell in freerun.

Neire

Equipment
B5000
Jun 11, 2017
Belgium
Blow by is typical for an older engine. There is little you can do to "stop" it other than a complete rebuild. It is not really "bad" for the engine, other than the obvious problems your are describing. It is an indication that fuel and pressure are getting around the rings.

Your blow by is not that bad, I have blow-by that bad on one of my machines that has something like 2000 hours on it.

It is possible for the diesel to get by the rings and add levels to the oil.

What oil are you using? Make sure you are using a DIESEL oil, and depending on weather conditions, make the weight work to your advantage!

I would keep everything checked as you have been and not worry about it until it becomes a problem that you can no longer deal with.

You can add some additives to the fuel that will try to help the rings, conditioners and lubricators will help, but they are simply a band-aide fix.
Im using 10w40 semi synth,

I live in belgium where it normally goes at max -5°C. In verry rare occasions -10..

Max temp is about 30°C. What oil would you advise?

For current service,would you add some additives?

Thanks!

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
You're fine with the oil you're running as long as it's rated for diesels. I've got question. When you measure cold, do you just pull the dipstick out and read it? or do you pull it out, wipe it off, put it back in, and then read it? The oil can climb the dipstick.

Neire

Equipment
B5000
Jun 11, 2017
Belgium
You're fine with the oil you're running as long as it's rated for diesels. I've got question. When you measure cold, do you just pull the dipstick out and read it? or do you pull it out, wipe it off, put it back in, and then read it? The oil can climb the dipstick.
Always wipe :) even when oil is warm..

Does anyone have experience with ceramic additives and blowby?

Thanks!

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
How is the oil filter mounted? If it's threads down or horizontal, the check valve could be leaking or missing and the oil leaking back into the crankcase.

Neire

Equipment
B5000
Jun 11, 2017
Belgium
How is the oil filter mounted? If it's threads down or horizontal, the check valve could be leaking or missing and the oil leaking back into the crankcase.
Sorry, did not see the update,

It is a horizontal placement. Might give it a check..

Tnx