Z122R Throwing Belts

Fastdart69

Equipment
Kubota Kommander Z122
Aug 16, 2017
Springfield, Illinois
I have a Kubota Z122R zero turn mower that continually throws the belt that drives the blades on the mower. I purchased this mower last October and only began using it this Spring. It has less than 10 hours total and is used on a residential lawn of about a half acre in size. I have had it repaired under warranty with the replacement of the idler and pulleys and it worked O.K. for about three mowings and then threw the belt again. I tried to contact Kubota directly and their website is not very forthcoming about how to contact them by phone or e-mail. At this point I am very frustrated with this lawn mower which was not inexpensive. I will probably end up taking it back for additional warranty work but I have to transport it 25 miles to the dealer on my own dime. Is anyone else having this issue with this model Kubota? I'm very disappointed with this mower!

65specialk

Equipment
B21 BX25D
Aug 9, 2011
Gasburg, Va.
Hello, I have the same mower that I bought new also. It throws the belt every time I first use it Dealer looked at it twice and found nothing wrong with it. Three years later and it still does it . Tried tougher spring on tensioner but no help. I am very disappointed with this mower. DaveQUOTE=Fastdart69;247983]I have a Kubota Z122R zero turn mower that continually throws the belt that drives the blades on the mower. I purchased this mower last October and only began using it this Spring. It has less than 10 hours total and is used on a residential lawn of about a half acre in size. I have had it repaired under warranty with the replacement of the idler and pulleys and it worked O.K. for about three mowings and then threw the belt again. I tried to contact Kubota directly and their website is not very forthcoming about how to contact them by phone or e-mail. At this point I am very frustrated with this lawn mower which was not inexpensive. I will probably end up taking it back for additional warranty work but I have to transport it 25 miles to the dealer on my own dime. Is anyone else having this issue with this model Kubota? I'm very disappointed with this mower![/QUOTE]

nmcf

Equipment
Kubota Z122r, Terramite T5C etc
May 19, 2019
Franklin, TN
Having same problem
Checked all mechanical parts - were OK
Replaced belt with Kubota OEM part.
Still having same problem - no help.

I DID find that if I pull the choke out at full throttle until the engine starts to miss, the mower blades WILL engage without throwing the belt. Make sure the engine is already warmed up.

I just read in another forum, that Kubota now has a program to install belt guides (I thought it unusual that there are no belt guides at the clutch pulley). I will be checking with my dealer.

Thanks
Neil

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Confirm that the belt is routed properly and not on the wrong side of any pins etc.

Another place to check is that the pullies are all in the same plane, un-damaged, and turn freely when the belt is removed.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There is an updated deck belt tension arm that has a "hook" on it, which helps keep the belt from sliding off the bottom of the idler. The "hook" wraps around the bottom side of the tensioner pulley. No hook=old style, call the dealer for the kommander confidence campaign-and inquire about it's eligibility. That program ends soon; procrastinate and you'll be up a creek without a paddle. There's a few little modifications that the dealers do to these (and the Z121, Z125, ZG12x's and Z122R & E), all depends on the serial number. Only a dealer can give you the information and only a dealer can do the modifications, they will NOT give you the parts & let you do it (the systems have changed recently).

If that stuff's already done, you'll look closely at the pulley & belt alignment as well as bent tension arm, bent pulleys, debris in the clutch & spindle pulleys. Those are the most common causes.