BX2680 Brakes

bherron1

May 7, 2017
Clarks Hill SC USA
Does any one know if the BX2680 has brakes on the front as well as the back ? And I guess these are wet disc brakes that work from inside the HST ? That's what makes me think it has no brakes on the front.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
There are no front breaks. Most of the breaking is done with the hydrostatic transmission, and the parking break is for parking. For good stopping with the hydrostatic transmission or with the parking break you should be in 4wd. The parking break is ahead of the rear differential, this means if you have a heavy load on the front, are going down hill, or are on ice, you may only have breaking with one wheel. One rear wheel can continue turning and one can slip and turn in the opposite direction. In 4wd you would have both differentials, front and rear, locked.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Does any one know if the BX2680 has brakes on the front as well as the back ? And I guess these are wet disc brakes that work from inside the HST ? That's what makes me think it has no brakes on the front.
To reiterate what GF elaborated on: Front Brakes ONLY when in 4wd!

This is a crucial safety issue in some situations. For example, headed down hill with a load in the front end loader. In a situation like that, you may have very little weight on the rear wheels (though ballast will help), and in 2WD, the brakes will quickly lock the rear wheels while you continue down the hill unabated. Scary, dangerous stuff. So use 4wd when you need to maintain traction to go, but especially when you need to maintain traction to stop.