B7100 Priority valve

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
Removed the belt driven power steering pump I had previously installed on my B7100 today and installed a priority valve from surplus center. No big deal installing the valve and modifying the hydraulics. I didn't expect to see how all the hydraulics have slowed The priority valve has an adjustment which I have almost completely closed. Everything works fine just slower. If the adjustment is turned out much more the loader and 3 point stop working.
I would have stayed with the power steering pump but got tired of replacing it's belt once or twice a year and what seemed like endless belt adjustment. Plan on using it with the priority valve for a while and can always switch it back. A larger diameter pulley on the power steering pump would have helped but it would contact the side of the hood. Time will tell.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Since it has been about 4 days and no reply, I will throw out a few questions and comments.

Did the tractor have power steering to start with or, along with the belt driven pump, you installed some additional parts?

A frequently failing power steering pump belt implies something is not right. Poor belt alignment, poor belt selection, pump relief valve bypassed.

The priority flow control is a common feature on Chinese tractors.
These tractors, even the smallest ones have pump flows of 20 liters per minute. The valves come with a fixed pressure and flow setting.
Tractordata spec's I see for a 1980's era B7100 state hydraulic flows of 11 liters per minute at max rpm's.

I looked and found this image of his B7100 steering and it is not ps.

Have you calculated the flow rate you need to have reasonable power steering response rate?

Is there another hydraulic pump on the tractor other than the original one. You mention a FEL. Does it have its own pto driven pump?

If everything is intended to run off the origin hydraulic pump, I don't think you have the flows to split the output for the steering and then other stuff.

Dave M7040

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The B7100 did not have power steering from the factory. Reportedly, the direct drive (ie left hand rotation) pump from a B8200 will bolt on and provide 25% increased flow, but I haven't tried it. Note that there were two different versions of B8200 pumps. The gear driven (ie: right hand rotation) pump reportedly will not work with the B7100.

Note also that the increased hydraulic flow will eat into your available horsepower for other things.

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I used the tractor for about 4 hours today moving logs using a bucket grapple the tractor. Running the tractor at full throttle the steering and bucket worked well.
When I first put my power steering together I decided to power it with a separate pump. The system worked well but using a belt to drive the pump required a small diameter pulley. The belt would slip under hard load.