Rear 3pt lift is not working

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2600DT, B5100 with K348-7 mower, G4200 riding mower
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
L2600DT. PTO spins. Fluid levels are good. I lift on the handle and nothing happens. I don't hear the pump like in my L2500DT. How can/do you tell if the pump is out/bad? Any ideas before getting a new pump?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
PTO has zero to do with the three point.
It's almost never the pump!
Does the tractors power steering work?
If it does then the pump is fine.
DOes it have a FEL?
If it does does it work?
If it does then the pump is fine.

Check the speed control knob under the seat.
Check the feed back linkage from the rock shaft to the control valve.

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
Understand about the 3PT, just providing info. No FEL although it did before I swapped it to my other tractor and it worked fine. PS works. I did try the knob under the seat but it did not change anything.

Check the feed back linkage from the rock shaft to the control valve. >> Where is this located? What is a rock shaft?

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
Did the 3PH stop working right after you moved the FEL to the other tractor? If so, you may have interrupted or bypassed the pressure hydraulics to the 3PH.

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
Did the 3PH stop working right after you moved the FEL to the other tractor? If so, you may have interrupted or bypassed the pressure hydraulics to the 3PH.
I actually did not try the 3PH before I removed the FEL. But the FEL worked as it should.

Where would a bypass be to flip it back?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The rockshafts are the short shafts that actually lift the 3PH. Upper side of rear end under the seat. Control linkage is a small rod through a hole in a tab on the right (sitting in seat) side usually

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
Here is the valve on the left side of the 2600. It had a block on it for the FEL and I swapped the cover over from my 2500. You can also see the rod in the back, that is not moving back when I lift up on the 3PH. It does on my other.

Attachments

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
I also loosened the top of the IN/return line to the pump on the side of the engine. There is no flow. I would expect to see fluid coming out for a closed system. The thick return line runs to the bottom of the rear axle.

I also undid the plate where the FEL was attached. Pics attached. The rearmost(right looking at it head on) one is blocked by the plate. I am unsure if this is correct or not but the plate fits perfectly and fluid does spew out of these.

This said, I am guessing it's either 1) blocked or 2) there is a valve to divert. Does anyone know where this valve would be? Just trying to find an easier path before I drop the pan and check for a blockage on the return.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The in line (large line) is a suction line (not a return line) and it might not flow fluid when you pull it off the pump side, most won't as the sump is lower than the pump.

The fact that you have PS say's the pump is working.
So it's not a pump issue.

If I remember right you swapped the loader from one tractor to another, and you swapped the fluid parts (tap) too didn't you?

The holes that the cover covers are, fluid in and fluid out (Better known as PB [power beyond]), the third is a return port, which is only required when the when the loader tap block was installed.

Check to make sure that the lift lever is actually moving the rod that goes to the valve.

Last edited:

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
The in line (large line) is a suction line (not a return line) and it might not flow fluid when you pull it off the pump side, most won't as the sump is lower than the pump.

The fact that you have PS say's the pump is working.
So it's not a pump issue.

If I remember right you swapped the loader from one tractor to another, and you swapped the fluid parts (tap) too didn't you?

The holes that the cover covers are, fluid in and fluid out (Better known as PB [power beyond]), the third is a return port, which is only required when the when the loader tap block was installed.

Check to make sure that the lift lever is actually moving the rod that goes to the valve.
Thanks for the response. Correct, I swapped them, moved the FEL , control valve, block and hoses.

I do not see the lever moving when i move the handle. Looking at my other one, the rod moves when I lift up on the 3PH handle. Not so on this on. I moved the open/close knob to both ends all the way. I also confirmed there is fluid coming from the 2 tubes just beneath that.

That said, how is the lift handle connected to the rod?

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
The roll pin is there. Looking at the rod that is on the left side that attaches to the roll pin, it was much more forward than my other, so I adjusted it to bring it more vertical. When I tried with the 3PH Lift handle, I can see it barely moving on the left side. The right side where the lever is moves fine. What would prevent/block this from moving more? It moved 1mm at most.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your talking about the feed back lever, it only moves when the three point moves, it's a feed back lever for the valve to know what position the three point is in.

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
I am sorry I am not well versed in all tractor terminology and parts. I have a pic of what is occurring.

When I lift up on the orange arrow, the lift handle, the roll bar end (green arrow) moves about 1 mm, if that.

I have turned the open/close (yellow arrow) knob both ways with no change. I started to remove this but it has a snap ring on it and didn't want to go too deep if I didn't need to.

I did remove the block(whatever the read arrow is) and confirmed fluid flows through it, hence the oil on the tranny.

So basically, whatever sits between the orange and green arrows is the problem. But I do not know what sits between them.

Thanks again for your assistance Wolf.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The orange is the lift lever the green is the feed back linage.
They are not connected directly (one does not move the other).

The valve is in the middle of the two linkages.

Attachments

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
Ok, I will take the top plate off and check out the valve.

Geturdun

Equipment
Yanmar ZL2201
Aug 4, 2017
Star, MS
The valve is in the middle of the two linkages.

My (L model) TPH stopped working. I have pulled the top off replaced o rings, I have a question. It is inverted on table. In the valve body, how do you adjust the two adjustments in it. Before it stopped working, I had the shudder anywhere but at top of stroke, figuring these are out of adjustment. I read somewhere in the past about threading a hole in it and adjusting until some point, but did not note the instructions for when I did have to pull this cover off. Anyone know of what I type?

haanzel

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
I took off the top plate, inspected the linkage which worked ok. I blew compressed air through the valve and the rear upper arms when right up. I could not get them down. I removed the valve and blew more air in the to undo any blockages. I reassembled everything and it didn't work, except the upper arms did come down.

For the valve, this is where I am unsure how things should work. Does the manual state how to bench test this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the WSM spells out the entire workings and testing of the system. ;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Non-working 3ph diagnosis the easy way.

You need hydraulic pressure and flow. Need to test for that first, using gauge per WSM. If you have oil going to the lift, and lift not working, there are 3 possibilities (1) the piston seals are leaking. (2) position control valve has a leak internally, or one of the valves is stuck. Or (3) the drop speed adjustment has a problem, but (2) and (3) are rare-especially 3. Most of the time it's the piston seals.

WSM calls for a certain hydraulic pressure. Problem is, if there's a big leak in the 3ph lift, it won't generate any pressure to speak of. So if for instance it calls for 2480 psi, and in the lift position you're seeing 500psi, it's likely there's a leak in the 3ph somewhere, could be 1, 2, or 3. Remove the top and inspect the cylinder and/or piston for o-ring damage. If those aren't leaking, it's either going to be the drop speed valve or the position control valve.

BUT if you do a pressure test and it shows zero psi, you may have other problems. Does power steering work? Loader work?