BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Ky

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Wow, I haven't been here for quite a while, but this thread caught my eye. I have the Bark Buster splitter and I use about the same kill switch on the BX that you use, I hook mine to the PTO lever and a quick pull disengages the PTO.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/n...itter-250-augusta-americanlisted_29225617.jpg
Like this idea of kill rope to PTO lever better. Thank you for posting it. Like it better cause the old L225 of mine, have to accelerate then quickly decelerate before the shut off function works. If you don't do it that way..... she stays running. One am dealing with is also a Bark Buster just like the one you posted a pic of.

Last edited:

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
I think I would like that bark buster better. My version is pretty much a spinning auger bit on a shaft - use with extreme caution. And I have already got a log so wrapped up in it that I had to use a chain saw to get it off.

Wow, I haven't been here for quite a while, but this thread caught my eye. I have the Bark Buster splitter and I use about the same kill switch on the BX that you use, I hook mine to the PTO lever and a quick pull disengages the PTO.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/n...itter-250-augusta-americanlisted_29225617.jpg

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
I have a bark buster powered by a 3 HP briggs and straton engine. It used a chain drive too a cintrifical clutch. I really liked the thing but the cone was Alum with a harden steel nose cone to start the screw held in place with a roll pin. that Alum part broke after about 3 years of hard work so I bought a new one. that one also broke after about 3 years.

I was not able to find a 3d one to buy so the machine sets in my pole barn waiting for me to say HEY and spend the money for a stickler cone and adapt it to the bark buster hub.

I found part of the trick to make the bark buster split better was to run the cone in close to the end. If a chunk did get stuck the clutch slipped and just shut the engine off then it was easy to use a pipe wrench to screw it backwards.

I liked it because I could take it to the woods where we were working, load it in the pick up all by my self and then put it on top of the load of wood alone also.
I do have a hydraulic spliter now but it isn't as handy. I also feel it is no safer than the bark buster with the clutch. My hydraulic will some times go into stubborn wood and when it finally pops will toss a chunk of wood several feet with force.

So if some one runs a cross a used stickler cone cheap yell at me.

:D Al

Last edited:

Equipment
Sold the '94 B7100 HST, bought a 1987 L2250 w/ FEL
Jan 30, 2014
Owings, MD
I have a Bark Buster - today I broke the steel tip off. Since parts are no longer available, I'm, trying to figure out how to repair the cone/tip. Picture shows a section of the cast aluminum cone split into 4 sections, the steel tip shaft sheared off at the roll pin. The shaft remaining is about 1.25" long.

I was thinking about welding on a length of shaft, add a few washers to accommodate the difference between what broke into the 4 pieces, grind down smooth the aluminum cone that remains and then re-drill the cone and shaft for a new roll pin.

I know the hazards with using the "cone of death". Just wish I didn't break the cone!

Attachments

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
Just wait for a stickler to come along and weld up a hub for it to fit the Bark buster.

Might be the cone of death on a tractor PTO or the hub of a truck but a Bark Buster, only a real dumb idiot could get hurt on one.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
That guy is getting way too comfortable around it IMHO.
Totally agree. There were more than one moment his coat was just dangling and brushing against that spinning drive. Darwin will remove a part of thus guy's body before too long if he acts that callous around spinning shafts

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just wait for a stickler to come along and weld up a hub for it to fit the Bark buster.

Might be the cone of death on a tractor PTO or the hub of a truck but a Bark Buster, only a real dumb idiot could get hurt on one.

When you post something like that it make me wonder....about you.

micdelbo

Equipment
B3350
Dec 14, 2016
Schuylkill County, PA
I have been using 2 different styles of. The bark buster splitter for around 35 years on or off.

First one was a pto driven unit on a 9n that I split between 20-30 cords of wood per year for 5-6 years in the early 80's. The very end of the steel tip broke and the unit sat out and rusted solid for about 5 years.

I resurrected it in the early 90's to sell firewood as a down payment on my first house. Had to buy new bearings and found a tip for it in an old Mennonite country store since the CPSC had already banned them and bark buster was belly up so parts were hard to come by.

The unit sat at my parents neighbors farm I used it at and the owner moved it outside and it ended up getting rusted beyond repair. I did save the tip in the hopes of finding a usable one some day.

About 5 years ago a friend was at an auction and found one operated by a Briggs and Stratton. He had heard me talk about how fast it split woood so he bought it for me. I converted it to 3 point pto driven by changing the gears to operate at the perfect speed with my 4115 at around 1k rpm.

I have used it ever since. It is twice as fast as a hydraulic splitter once you become proficient. There is no question you need to respect the tip and keep any loose clothing away. My safety device is a long flat blade screwdriver that presses on the operator present switch under the seat. As soon as I remove the screwdriver it shuts off the tractor.

I would guess I have easily split a few hundred cords of wood with it and everyone I show it to can't believe how fast it is.

Being around farm equipment my whole life and seeing what any piece of equipment can do if you get something stuck has taught me to pay attention. I don't consider this any worse than any other piece of machinery.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I have been using 2 different styles of. The bark buster splitter for around 35 years on or off.

First one was a pto driven unit on a 9n that I split between 20-30 cords of wood per year for 5-6 years in the early 80's. The very end of the steel tip broke and the unit sat out and rusted solid for about 5 years.

I resurrected it in the early 90's to sell firewood as a down payment on my first house. Had to buy new bearings and found a tip for it in an old Mennonite country store since the CPSC had already banned them and bark buster was belly up so parts were hard to come by.

The unit sat at my parents neighbors farm I used it at and the owner moved it outside and it ended up getting rusted beyond repair. I did save the tip in the hopes of finding a usable one some day.

About 5 years ago a friend was at an auction and found one operated by a Briggs and Stratton. He had heard me talk about how fast it split woood so he bought it for me. I converted it to 3 point pto driven by changing the gears to operate at the perfect speed with my 4115 at around 1k rpm.

I have used it ever since. It is twice as fast as a hydraulic splitter once you become proficient. There is no question you need to respect the tip and keep any loose clothing away. My safety device is a long flat blade screwdriver that presses on the operator present switch under the seat. As soon as I remove the screwdriver it shuts off the tractor.

I would guess I have easily split a few hundred cords of wood with it and everyone I show it to can't believe how fast it is.

Being around farm equipment my whole life and seeing what any piece of equipment can do if you get something stuck has taught me to pay attention. I don't consider this any worse than any other piece of machinery.

I've just seen them for the first time on the forum this week and been intrigued since, just have to figure out how to make a mount and what ever else needed to run it off the tractor pto. Easy to see the speed is night and day over hydraulic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mike thank you for your post. First time I've seen these was this week on the forum and it's easy to see the speed is night and day over hydraulic. Just have to do some homework to see what I need to build one.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I have a Bark Buster - today I broke the steel tip off. Since parts are no longer available, I'm, trying to figure out how to repair the cone/tip. Picture shows a section of the cast aluminum cone split into 4 sections, the steel tip shaft sheared off at the roll pin. The shaft remaining is about 1.25" long.

I was thinking about welding on a length of shaft, add a few washers to accommodate the difference between what broke into the 4 pieces, grind down smooth the aluminum cone that remains and then re-drill the cone and shaft for a new roll pin.

I know the hazards with using the "cone of death". Just wish I didn't break the cone!
look on ebay. they sell them. Not specifically for the bark buster.... but the cones are available.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
That guy is getting way too comfortable around it IMHO.
agree.... table needs to be deeper... and use a second log or something else to push the log onto the screw. keeps person further from screw.

also something else should be used to push the pieces out of the way..... something as simple as a pipe to grab and use as a poker to move them out of the way. something with a hook on it wold be good to . Slap the log with it to dig hook in a little and then yank the log away...... which would also dislodge the hook as the log falls to the ground.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
agree.... table needs to be deeper... and use a second log or something else to push the log onto the screw. keeps person further from screw.

also something else should be used to push the pieces out of the way..... something as simple as a pipe to grab and use as a poker to move them out of the way. something with a hook on it wold be good to . Slap the log with it to dig hook in a little and then yank the log away...... which would also dislodge the hook as the log falls to the ground.
To be honest he reminds me of myself at times. Even though I'm retired there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get stuff done. Somedays it's like gotta get this done so I can move on to the next, always trying to get as much done in one day so the next won't be as full, just doesn't happen because I'm old (62) and it takes 2 or 3 hours to do when it only used to take 1.:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
it takes 2 or 3 hours to do when it only used to take 1

Well that could be a good thing too ya know ;)

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Re: Screw drive/cone log splitter

Just obtained one, just like the Unicorn splitter, but it is a Kubota. Does seem very simple, I just need to figure out a way that I can push logs against it without getting my hands near that unshielded spinning auger bit.

Hey buddy, I know this thread is so old but thought I'd try...I just got one of these Kubota splitters from my family's property that had been abandoned. Does the PTO shaft extend at all? I assume it's not a fixed length but before i fought a potentially frozen shaft, I figured I'd try and ask.

Attachments