Screw drive/cone log splitter/ making it safer

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Re: Bark Buster Repair

If you're hell bent to split wood with that thing you better attach an arm on the clockwise side to keep your wood from becoming a propeller!!

And check you health insurance and disability policy.
the arm is included. It's just obstructed in those pics. My arms will stay attached. I work with safety in mind every day. My athletes live's literally depended on me and my keeping the equipment properly maintained and used. The Bark Buster design looks little more stout than the Kubota design. The Kubota version has no top link to triangulate. Looks like this is more adjustable to log size as well.

Honestly, though my stuff is small. Except stuff picked up for free that needs bit more work..... Mostly use purchased cord of wood. Would you believe one cord last Winter and a half since I only use it for about 5 hours per cold night for only 3 to 4 months/yr. My house is tiny lol; a whopping 600?sq foot; so the wood stove is tiny too The downfall to this I didn't expect though is; even some of the standard cord sized wood has to be cut down another 1/3 in size just to fit in the stove. Got a Buzz/Copping saw in the works for that. Found one for a great price that has more safety guards on it than any I've seen but brand new 4 digit one$ that start with the number 2 lol. So decided to grab it at couple hundred bucks from a retiring farmer/rancher. Will make quick work of it cutting down the too long ones and save my chainsaw from wear and tear. Picking up Buzz Saw next weekend.

So in long run for splitting purposes don't need anything heavy duty with such little output and adding a spendy hydraulic unit into the mix makes it not worth the cost. This fits the bill perfect. Little slower processing than hydraulic.. but as little use it will get.... that is fine. Got some shroud ideas to make it safer than any I've seen. Maybe should patent my ideas :D

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
working on the splitter today. Need an adapter to use PTO shafts I already have. Much less costly to use adapter than to get new PTO shaft

1. is Kubota L225 PTO shaft 1 3/8 6spline? Shaft I want to use fits my L225 and the Buzz Saw with each end being the same. I'd measure but it got dark outside as I ran around TinBucktwo looking for an adapter locally. I know it is 6 spline... not sure the shaft size though. If so I can get... http://www.agrisupply.com/pto-adptr-splx-rd-kw/p/38507/

2. Should I have a machinist drill a hole in the above adapter; (if it is right sized) too keep it a shear pin setup? AKA- The Screw splitter/Widow Maker had half of a PTO shaft on it. It had yoke attached to its 1.25" keyed shaft. It had bolt thru this Yoke which above adapter would replace. Assume intention was this to be a shear pin. Thus the question about drilling adapter for Shear Pin.

If not #1 or #1 & #2... then gotta make missing pto shaft 1/2 for around $180-230 for full replacement. (-vs- $60ish for the adapter linked above along with my shaft that came with my Buzz Saw)

Last edited:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Don't let the drive shaft become the bigger danger!

There are some useful videos on the web of the screw type splitter in operation.

They look useful, but perhaps a bit "messy". Lots of kindling ;-)

The screw splitters with integrated table seem like they would be good for small stuff.
No sense getting your legs involved! ;-)

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Don't let the drive shaft become the bigger danger!

There are some useful videos on the web of the screw type splitter in operation.

They look useful, but perhaps a bit "messy". Lots of kindling ;-)

The screw splitters with integrated table seem like they would be good for small stuff.
No sense getting your legs involved! ;-)
A table or something to keep the log from spinning is a must. One I have has an arm that the log if needed can rotate over to and makes contact with; stopping log from turning. see pic at http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29345&d=1494996118

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
yeah I still think a table would be a better idea,, but then what do I know:rolleyes:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
yeah I still think a table would be a better idea,, but then what do I know:rolleyes:
Definitely agree. But that is for later.. got to get a PTO shaft fitted up first.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Re: Screw drive/cone log splitter

Kubota had a recall on those a number of years back. My dealer had one outback of his shop and would not sell it, because it was part of the recall.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Re: Screw drive/cone log splitter

Kubota had a recall on those a number of years back. My dealer had one outback of his shop and would not sell it, because it was part of the recall.
It's not a Kubota product. This is a Bark Buster. They were build different..... as was discussed earlier in this thread

Sooo once again steering back to most recent questions of- Put in bold orange a few post up above about PTO shaft size.... and should Adapter be modified: drilling hole it for installing Shear Pin.

Thanks

Last edited:

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I'm not sure what your tractor is, but the standard 540 is 1 3/8 6 spline. When I was setting up my sickle mower, I went and purchased a pto extension from either tsc,or family farm &home. I needed the extension for the hole in the shaft, the only way the mower would attach. I think it was around $30

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I'm not sure what your tractor is, but the standard 540 is 1 3/8 6 spline. When I was setting up my sickle mower, I went and purchased a pto extension from either tsc,or family farm &home. I needed the extension for the hole in the shaft, the only way the mower would attach. I think it was around $30

yeah... seems your right. ordering the adapter tomorrow. It is an L225 as shown in user info under my avatar.

Now to figure out if should drill it for a shear bolt.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're going to drill the adapter for the shear bolt, just know it won't be "duck soup"! Better set it up in a milling machine so you can slow down the drilling speed to about 150 RPM,and hold the adapter firmly.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I would look around, my adapter has a hole in it, that's the reason I bought it.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm obviously missing something or my depleted uranium brain is lust too dense to follow this thread-
Drill the adapter for a shear bolt?:confused:
Wouldn't the splines prevent that from working?:confused:
How 'bout a sketch showing what you're trying to accomplish?:confused:
Help!

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Yeah, I'm a bit confused too. Link says the adapter has a keyway?
Correct. As attempted to describe in #2 question posted earlier the Screw drive's output shaft is NOT splined. It is a 1 .25" round shaft, keyed, and with a shear bolt. My apologies for not describing it well, thus the confusion

PTO driveshaft I have available to use with this is splined female on both ends. An adapter to use this shaft will save several hundred dollars over getting a PTO drive shaft to fit the Screw drive. Only issue is cant find such an adapter with a shear bolt hole.

Granted I could easily get a yoke that fits Screwdrive's output shaft (1.25inch female, keyway and Shear Bolt hole ) from TSC and press out my Driveshafts Ujoint and install the new Yoke to it. But then would have to disassemble/reassemble that drive shaft ever time I switch from screw drive back to Buzz Saw.

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'm thinking that the bolt is for holding the yoke to the shaft and not a shear bolt. I agree with kubotasam. That being said, drilling a hole through the adapter will work. As mentioned earlier, a milling machine would make it an easier task but it could be done on a drill press as well.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
As attempted to describe in #2 question posted earlier the Screw drive's output shaft is NOT splined. It is a 1 .25" round shaft, keyed, and with a shear bolt. My apologies for not describing it well, thus the confusion
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Here is my solution: A tie-off to the throttle when I am using the widow-maker.
Plan to do the same. Yours appears to be a Kubota model screw splitter that was discontinued... difference than it and the Bark Buster can be as noted by no adjustable legs on it, shorter length tube with support bearings and no splitted log distributing fins on the shaft tube as well.... Kubota version pretty much only the anti log spin arm... and orange paint. Ok..... it had the screw too of course

Last edited: