First time tractor buyer

Quicklx

Oct 2, 2017
Luzerne, MI
so....The time has come for me to purchase a tractor. I have 25 wooded acres with 5 or so acres of fields (flat and currently maintained with a commercial zero turn). my driveway / road is 1.2 miles long and somewhat hilly. The last 1/8th mile and parking is 21AA. The property is mostly sand or sandy soil.

I will be doing the following for sure and I am sure other uses will come up.

1. maintaining the road and parking area
2. mowing the fields
3. skidding fallen trees
4. moving pallets of lime/seed/fertilizer, etc.
5. plowing snow
6. discing fields
7. moving firewood

The tractors I am looking at are the L3901 and L3560. I am not sure I can afford to swing the cab version of the L3560, but would really like to (dreaming a bit).

The dealer quoted an $1800 difference between the L3901 and L3560. Its another $6000 to get the cab.

I see several features I do like with the L3560 namely the telescopic arms, the high lifting capacity with the LA805 loader, suspension seat, etc.

I am curious where the added weight on the L3560 of nearly 600lbs is coming from?

also wondering is there is a reliability difference in the engines of each?

Am I making the right decision if I go with the L3560 without the cab?

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have an L3800 which is close to the L3901. I use it at the hunting camp to mow, disc, repair roads, move stands, push dead trees, etc. It does everything I've asked it to do but it will not move a fully loaded pallet of lime or seed. I have the LA524 loader. Its lifting capacity is around 1,100 lbs. Good luck with your search.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
The tractors I am looking at are the L3901 and L3560. I am not sure I can afford to swing the cab version of the L3560, but would really like to (dreaming a bit).

The dealer quoted an $1800 difference between the L3901 and L3560. Its another $6000 to get the cab.

I see several features I do like with the L3560 namely the telescopic arms, the high lifting capacity with the LA805 loader, suspension seat, etc.

I am curious where the added weight on the L3560 of nearly 600lbs is coming from?

also wondering is there is a reliability difference in the engines of each?

Am I making the right decision if I go with the L3560 without the cab?
L3560 is on a larger frame than the L3901, wider, longer wheelbase and heavier. L3560 will have more hydro power so more lifting capacity. Depends on what you need. We looked at both and went L3901 due to easier to move around in the woods and fits in our 8' garage door without folding the ROPS; didn't need a cab or telescoping arms (we use a QH), not using it every day all day. Grand L will have more creature comforts. Both are great tractors.

Quicklx

Oct 2, 2017
Luzerne, MI
Thank you for the replies!

I have a 9' door so the added height isnt a problem. After testing driving both, I really like the features and ergonomics of the L3560. My only concern at this point is power. it felt as if it had plenty of power, but did I did not have any PTO implements on it.

Sorry for sounding ignorant, if I do. I am very new to tractors. From a HP standpoint I am still wrapping my head around the fact that even 30hp can do what these tractors are capable of.

I guess I am wondering is the 37hp (35hp net), enough?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Keeping in mind that implements are sized for the tractor, any tractor, even a BX could do what you want....but in smaller quantities, and most likely at a slower pace. You are on the right track with the L series...both machines will serve you well whichever you decide.

Quicklx

Oct 2, 2017
Luzerne, MI
Again thank you for the feedback.

I met with the local dealer again and went over the usage once more to confirm I would not be lacking power. They have assured me that with the soil (sand) and the fields we have even running a 72" rotary cutter would be no problem.

So what I am getting is the following:

2017 L3560 (Open station)
LA805 loader with square back bucket
3rd function valve
tires filled
72" land pride rotary cutter
72" land pride grader scraper

plow and grapple coming next month.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
You will not be disappointed. I have the cab-less version and it does a TON of work beyond what u r describing. U will love it. I'm not new to tractors but this was my first purchase of a new tractor. I'm a very happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quicklx

Oct 2, 2017
Luzerne, MI
You will not be disappointed. I have the cab-less version and it does a TON of work beyond what u r describing. U will love it. I'm not new to tractors but this was my first purchase of a new tractor. I'm a very happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect!! That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Quicklx

Oct 2, 2017
Luzerne, MI
Finally home. Made quick work of fixing the base of the first 1/2 Mile of my driveway. They had to get the bucket from another location so that will be here next weekend. Third function added as well. Plow should be here in a few weeks.

Last edited:

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
So what I am getting is the following:

2017 L3560 (Open station)
LA805 loader with square back bucket
3rd function valve
tires filled
72" land pride rotary cutter
72" land pride grader scraper

plow and grapple coming next month.
Did you get a grapple ? If so what grapple did you get ? Thanks....