Large amount of SPAM

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I know there is another thread about SPAM, but it has really been bad yesterday and today. It is really getting out of hand and is making coming here to read new post more of a pain than a pleasure.

I hate to say it, but I think all new members need to be confirmed before they are able to post. I'm sure that the vBulletin software has something like this built in or an add-on.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
my appologies for the spam. We have been under spam attack for last couple days. Extremely hard to keep up with the deletions. Trust me we are doing all we can. happens ever couple months no matter what bulletin board. Smaller boards like this with out much income produced don't have the income to pay for massive spam protection.

Just us volunteers working in the backrgound

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, if there's anything we can do to make your job easier, let us know.

And thank all of you moderators, Mr. K, and Service Department Vic for all your work on this forum. I'd go through painful withdrawal symptoms without it.:D

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I will echo Bill,thanks to everyone behind the scenes who keep the wheels turning.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

I hate to say it, but I think all new members need to be confirmed before they are able to post. I'm sure that the vBulletin software has something like this built in or an add-on.
There is and it is used, everyone does have to be confirmed. You might recall you have to answer a question to show your human before in order to complete registration. As well you get an email with a code you have to use to register..... Unfortunately today's Spambots are smart...... then know how to find the answer to the question and respond to these emails if they were human..... and can do it in seconds at that.

PS.. THANK YOU Mr. Hughes for your membership. Without paying members like yourself we would not have a board to discuss our tractors at all. Then again us volunteers would also have nothing to try to thwart attacks toward either though lol.

Last edited:

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Thank you Coach Geo and our other moderators for your selfless work keeping this forum strong! We are in your debt. Please know we appreciate your dedication. Thank you!!!!!!

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Thank you Coach Geo and our other moderators for your selfless work keeping this forum strong! We are in your debt. Please know we appreciate your dedication. Thank you!!!!!!
It is a team effort. this time North Idaho Wolfman did the most. I slipped on and off line Sat. and caught a lot but he handled Thursday when it started and most Fri. as well and today. I was at work today (Sunday)

geoff

Equipment
b2410 tractor, FM90 topper,RS1200 cultivator,bearcat 4 inch chipper,b1610.
Jul 7, 2017
essex uk.
Many thanks to the moderators and all who help with the upkeep here, that is why I supported the site with the small payment early in my membership, for the cost of a couple of gallons of diesel, I have gleaned info that has saved me hundreds of UK pounds, and got to enjoy myself in the process.:rolleyes:

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I think we all appreciate the hard work these moderators put in to keep this site the enjoyable diversion we all like after a hard day on our tractors. Thank you all.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
It's not just this site. Several others I visit have been bombed also. I really don't get the point of doing that. :mad:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
We're going to make some updates to make it a little harder for spammers to get accounts or post.
In Bill's world, we'd make it a little harder for them to keep breathing.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Hey folks, appreciate you hanging in there. We're going to make some updates to make it a little harder for spammers to get accounts or post.
Thank you for anything that you can do to slow or stop the SPAM.

I would also like to echo what everyone else has said, Thank you to the volunteers that keep the board running! I think that the Lifetime Membership is very well spent money to keep the forums online.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
A v bulletin board I used to run had an option in the forum settings administrators and moderators would have to approve each member before they were allowed to post. Maybe an option while seeking a more permanent solution.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
A v bulletin board I used to run had an option in the forum settings administrators and moderators would have to approve each member before they were allowed to post. Maybe an option while seeking a more permanent solution.
On the board I ran as Admin, what you say is basically what I did, They had to email me message with their info and I actually registered them then sent them an email with password.... but that was a discussion board I knew would have a VERY small amount of members. People still got pissed for not being able to near instantly register. That was before boards sent Auto emails with temporary passwords which these days.....often takes only minutes. Back then it took me about an 8 hour turn around to get them registered. i had a business to run. This site too big for that I think and it would make harder to get paying sponsors/advertisers.

Would be smart to change the Security question for a while though. Robots have figured this question out. Wonder if V Bulletin has option now to have a way to randomly rotating set of questions to attempt to verify it is a human wanting to register??

Last edited:

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Ok new changes have been deployed which should cut down on the number of new spam registrations. We'll monitor closely for a bit to see if more are getting through and then try to determine what hole they are exploiting. It's a never ending "game" I'm afraid.

Wanted to call out both coachgeo and NIW as doing an excellent job defending the forums against repeated waves of attack. Well done and thank you!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
A Big Thank You to Mr K, NIW and Coachgeo for all your work.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Ok new changes have been deployed which should cut down on the number of new spam registrations.
Looks like they're still getting in.:(:mad: