L2950 Up in "White" Smoke

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Kubota L2950DT, Bush Hog FEL, Box and Scraper Blade
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
L2950DT (523 hours) hauling wood up steep grade, made it to the woodshed, stopped tractor and white smoke poured out of exhaust while it lost rpm. Turned key switch off, checked oil, let it cool and tried to restart with key switch. Starter engaged but engine sounded seized with loud metallic like noise.

"Diesel challenged" but didn't just fall off turnip truck. Should I remove injectors and try to manually turn crank? Remove oil and filter and check for metal?

Thanks guys!!

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Can't hurt to try. Sounds hydrolocked to me.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
L2950DT (523 hours) hauling wood up steep grade, made it to the woodshed, stopped tractor and white smoke poured out of exhaust while it lost rpm. Turned key switch off, checked oil, let it cool and tried to restart with key switch. Starter engaged but engine sounded seized with loud metallic like noise.

"Diesel challenged" but didn't just fall off turnip truck. Should I remove injectors and try to manually turn crank? Remove oil and filter and check for metal?

Thanks guys!!
That is raw fuel pouring out the exhaust.
Sounds as if something has broken loose inside.
Did it overheat by chance?

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
Did not overheat, was running fine under load and up until Sunday has been a dependable "orange machine". Use primarily to maintain steep mountain road and scrape snow.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Blown head gasket, cracked head, failed injector.

Pull the injectors and see what it spits out.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
what'd the smoke smell like? Antifreeze? Oil? Fuel? Lot of things can cause the same symptoms. Is the oil level up to snuff? Coolant level? I wonder....if operating on the hillside could have uncovered the oil pump pickup therefore starving the engine of lube oil?

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
L2950 Up in "White" Smoke

what'd the smoke smell like? Antifreeze? Oil? Fuel? Lot of things can cause the same symptoms. Is the oil level up to snuff? Coolant level? I wonder....if operating on the hillside could have uncovered the oil pump pickup therefore starving the engine of lube oil?

Smoke was thick and whitish brown and was blowing away from me, more white than brown. Oil level good, antifreeze down some, reservoir full though, did not notice temp gauge at the time but brought a load of wood the day before and no problem. Pulled injectors look good.
Did not notice coolant when pulling injectors, also pulled glow plugs. Should I try to crank now, hesitant because my nads aren't orange!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coolant in oil, filter clean of metal, pull head, yee ha, wish I had service manual, any links besides $150 ebay? Suggestions appreciated thanks guys!!!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You could turn it by hand first, then crank it and see if it spins and if anything spits out of the injector holes. ;)

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
Turned crank and coolant spitting out of injector holes.
Began process of removing head. I loosened all the 14mm bolts IMG_0434[1].jpg
What is next logical step of push rod removal/sequence?
Ordered shop manual from dealer as I am obviously out of my comfort zone.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might be too late, but when you remove parts assemble them in the exact postition/order as you removed them. I most often use cardboard. Just make a pattern of the hear freehand, put an X where each bolt is located. Take a screw driver and punch the x (hole) large enough for the bolt to fit snug. Mark you cardboard "front", "rear' to make sure you get them back correctly.

Do the same with the valve assy and anything else you take off. Punch a cardboard for the push rods, etc.

In this modern era....take lots of pictures before you start removing things.

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
Great tips, thank you!!

Pulled head, and noticed irregular hole in upper left corner in pic?

Head gasket issue near left edge of piston cylinder, maybe related to "problem" hole in head.

No visible cracks in head or block.

Is this just a simple replace head gasket or is the non machined hole a problem?

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Looks like that hole should be there and should be round like the others?
Head gasket apparently has a matching hole. Please put head gasket on head in the same manner as it was and take a picture.

It may help the more knowledgeable people help you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's common for the heads on these to have that casting left in, doesn't effect it.

Looks to me (but head is very dirty) like I can see 2 possible cracks and the head gasket looks blown from a possible warped head.

The crack will be in the space between the valves and possibly going to the pre chamber.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Magnaflux or some such similar crack checker for the head ? It’s what we used to have done at machine shops to check for cracks. Twenty years ago. I assume its still a way to go or some more modern crack checker. Lot of work you have gone to. And expense. Best be darn sure nothing is warped and otherwise damage to decrease the possibility of getting to do it all again.

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
Great advice, but being of the human race, I am either too stupid or too cheap to apply sound advice. I convinced myself head was not cracked or warped (did not magnaflux like I should have but did check spec with straight edge that it was not warped). I believed I just had a blown gasket and replaced and reinstalled new gasket along with resetting valve clearances.

Started up fine and let run for 30 minutes. Changed oil and oil filter twice and still seeing chocolate milk out of my oil pan. I have not checked anti freeze level yet(got dark and cold/no garage on Poor Mtn)but guessin' this ain't good!! First pic after first oil change, second pic after second oil change.

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If you were making soup it would look good, but soup is not what you want unfortunately................

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Re Torque head bolts?

There is also the coolant plug under the water pump on some of these engines that can fool you on where coolant is coming from if I recall right.