L2950 hydraulic fluid in engine oil

chiromaster

Equipment
L2950
Oct 16, 2017
Laveen
When I check the dipstick, there is fluid all the way to the top of the stick. So far I have:

Searched extensively for answers.
Changed oil and filled hydraulic fluid...used tractor same thing happens. I drug my arena for an hour. Oil level was good. Then I used the front loader and moved stuff. Oil level went up on dipstick.

Replaced seal on hydraulic pump, new oil....same thing happened.
Replaced hydraulic pump $$ drained out oil and replaced. filled hydraulic.

Same thing. fluid to top of dipstick.

Is there a valve that can be an issue? Maybe a valve that only lets hydraulic fluid go one way is malfunctioning?

I have seen others with the same issue but cant find the fix.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
When I check the dipstick, there is fluid all the way to the top of the stick. So far I have:

Changed oil and filled hydraulic fluid...used tractor same thing happens. I drug my arena for an hour. Oil level was good. Then I used the front loader and moved stuff. Oil level went up on dipstick.

Replaced seal on hydraulic pump, new oil....same thing happened.
Replaced hydraulic pump $$ drained out oil and replaced. filled hydraulic.

Same thing. fluid to top of dipstick.

Is there a valve that can be an issue? Maybe a valve that only lets hydraulic fluid go one way is malfunctioning?

I have seen others with the same issue but cant find the fix.
You talk about the engine crankcase level going up but no mention of the hydraulic system loosing fluid.

If there is a mechanical lift pump on the side of your engine, that would be my likely culprit in view of the things you have done already. The diaphragm in the pump is failing and diesel fuel is entering the crankcase.

This may be what your pump looks like.

Don't keep using the tractor as engine oil diluted is not a good lubricant and serious engine damage can happen

Dave M7040

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
In addition to the hydraulic oil, check the coolant and smell the crankcase oil. If the coolant is low and it smells like coolant, it's a head gasket or cracked head or a cracked block. If it smells like diesel, one or more of your injectors may be dripping and the fuel is being blown past the rings.

If it's hydraulic oil, I've got nothing.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
If you are not convinced by my suggestion of the fuel pump, then consider using Cheap Ultra Violet leak detection kits available on line and at autoparts stores.

You can add the dye to engine oil, transmission and hydraulic oil and engine coolant. In your case you could add a red dye to the hydraulic oil and then after running your engine, if your crankcase oil glows red under UV light then you have confirmed the source of the extra liquid in the engine. Same for the diesel fuel and the antifreeze. Usually it is a different dye for cooling systems.
These systems have been used for years by the AC repair people.

In your case you are looking for an internal leak and seeing what color your crankcase oil glows will tell you where it is coming from..

If you have never heard of UV leak detection, this youtube video will give you more info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgsqmMjC5So
Dave m7040

chiromaster

Equipment
L2950
Oct 16, 2017
Laveen
If you are not convinced by my suggestion of the fuel pump, then consider using Cheap Ultra Violet leak detection kits available on line and at autoparts stores.

You can add the dye to engine oil, transmission and hydraulic oil and engine coolant. In your case you could add a red dye to the hydraulic oil and then after running your engine, if your crankcase oil glows red under UV light then you have confirmed the source of the extra liquid in the engine. Same for the diesel fuel and the antifreeze. Usually it is a different dye for cooling systems.
These systems have been used for years by the AC repair people.

In your case you are looking for an internal leak and seeing what color your crankcase oil glows will tell you where it is coming from..

If you have never heard of UV leak detection, this youtube video will give you more info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgsqmMjC5So
Dave m7040

I think you may be right. After reading the posts I went out and smelled the dipstick. It has smell of fuel. I did this before but the fuel smell was not as strong as I would have expected it to be. So I thought it must have been hydraulic fluid. The hydraulic fluid level was low and I filled it to the fill line. now I cant seem to get the hydraulic fluid to the fill line. I may have filled it too much or not enough I will re check. Is there a better way to chedk than the small window on the trany?

I have seen UV leak detection done an air con in cars. I will get some and confirm.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it is fuel getting in the oil, It most likely wont be the lift pump, it will be the injection pump that is causing the issue. ;)

There is no other way to tell fluid level on that model other than the window.
If it's glazed over and hard to see get a new window, takes seconds to put it in and the results will be tremendous.

Put a block under the rear tire on the side of the window and if you can see the fluid drop if it does you have it over filled.

Put a block under the rear tire on the opposite side as the window and if you see the fluid your low.

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
My experience has shown 99% of the time it is the fuel lift pump. If you have access to a handheld vacuum pump you can check the pump very easily. You can do it on or off the machine. Remove the fuel lines from the fuel pump apply vacuum to one side plug the other side and it should hold the vacuum if it doesn't the pump is bad. Harbor Freight sells a simple handheld vacuum pump. If it doesn't hold vacuum that means the diaphragm is ruptured leaking diesel into the crankcase. Apply the vacuum to the out let port on the pump. Good luck. Lance

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
If it is fuel getting in the oil, It most likely wont be the lift pump, it will be the injection pump that is causing the issue. ;).
NIW
For my own education, can an owner of one of these machines unbolt the injection pump, not rotate either the injection pump nor the engine and replace it without messing up the engine timing or having gears drop out of place?

Thanks

Dave m7040

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW
For my own education, can an owner of one of these machines unbolt the injection pump, not rotate either the injection pump nor the engine and replace it without messing up the engine timing or having gears drop out of place?

Thanks

Dave m7040
You can actually rotate the engine, as it doesn't effect the timing with the pump out.
The pump is roller driven by the fuel cam. ;)
No gears or parts will fallout when you remove the pump.
You just need to make sure that you remove and keep all the shims for the pump to keep the timing right.

Last edited: