New to me L3600 GST How to know if 50 hr break in?

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
I just bought a 1998 L3600 GST. Bought it from a guy who didn't know very much about it. 205 hrs. excellent condition. I ask him if the 50 hr service had been done and he said he bought it from the dealer in Spokane Wa. with 100 hrs on it and didn't know about the 50 hr service being done. Called dealer and they don't have the info on it as they have upgraded their computers. The oil filter has a date on it but the hydraulic filter is grey. What color did the filters come new and would have they replaced them with the same color? The Kubota filters I just purchased are white and say Kubota. The service manager said they will date the filters with a sharpee pen when they service them( hydraulic filter not dated ) The oil looks very clean in sight glass and smells like it should. Thinking about changing it anyway due the cost of the filter $42.00 So having said all that do you all think I should change the hydraulic fluid/oil? I don't have a manual and am full of questions.

Thank you

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
For me it is cheap insurance to know all fluids & filters are in top condition. If you don't change them now, what is going to be your determining factor to make the decision.

The service schedules I have seen presume the tractor is going to be used all the time and most recommendations are based upon farming use and hence hours of service. It is a tractor after all.

Then you have a machine whose hours are not high but its age is. Many things deteriorate with time. Antifreeze being a major one. Condensation within the engine and transmission will be happening to an infrequently used machine but this water wont change the smell or appearance of the fluid unless rain has been getting into the machine. However, moisture can produce acids which work away at shortening component life.

Really big engines like on container ships go their entire 25+ years of life without an oil change. However, frequent analysis of the oil is done to look for metals being worn off cylinders, pistons and bearings. Additive concentrations are checked and adjusted.

Some large trucking fleets have similar programs but for a guy with a couple of tractors it is as effective and much more economical to change the fluids based upon time.

Look at your car's recommended maintenance schedule.. Oil change every so many kilometers or months whichever comes first.

Enjoy your machine. Well taken care of it, will serve you for decades.

Dave M7040

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I would change all of itmout as well.
It may look clean but without knowing what other invisible contaminates are in the fluid.
Plus you can keep track of how old the stuff is.
It is cheaper than revuilding somthing.

If on doubt, change it out.
Start with a clean slate.

Ray

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Good chance that grey hydraulic filter is original. 1998 was a long time ago so best to change hydraulic oil and filter. And as others have suggested full change of all fluids and filters would be well worth the money.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yep, grey indicates original. As you mentioned the new ones are white. Change it so you know where you stand with maintenance..