Rear bonnet removal on a L2501

WoodyBlue

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 18, 2017
Taylorsville, KY, USA
So I posted this in the Service, repair and maintenance forum. Not sure where it needs to be. Sorry for the duplicate posts.

So I am gonna install some LED's on my new L2501DT and I want to add a couple of switches to the dash/gauge area of the rear bonnet. The WSM says I need to pull the steering wheel to remove the rear bonnet. What have other done? I see the tool required by Kubota is a $750.00 tool. That ain't gonna happen.

Options and techniques please. Will an after-market wheel puller do the job?

Pic as well as text on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ABruce

Equipment
L295dt
Jun 23, 2016
Armstrong BC
I own a much older machine. But I used a three jaw puller, cheap no name in the 30 dollar range. Take the nut off that retains the steering wheel and make sure you protect the threads the puller can push down and deform them. I have a 1/2 pipe cap I slip over the top to cover them. My old L 295DT Has a visible steel ring under neath set the tree jaws on it. It really doesn't take much pressure to pull the wheel up the splines.
I have used the same trick on various vehicles sometimes putting washers between the jaws and the wheel to protect them.

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
So I posted this in the Service, repair and maintenance forum. Not sure where it needs to be. Sorry for the duplicate posts.

So I am gonna install some LED's on my new L2501DT and I want to add a couple of switches to the dash/gauge area of the rear bonnet. The WSM says I need to pull the steering wheel to remove the rear bonnet. What have other done? I see the tool required by Kubota is a $750.00 tool. That ain't gonna happen.

Options and techniques please. Will an after-market wheel puller do the job?

Pic as well as text on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
WoodyBlue, Did you ever remove the rear Bonnet? I also need to remove mine and would appreciate any tips and advice Thanks Bill

WoodyBlue

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 18, 2017
Taylorsville, KY, USA
WoodyBlue, Did you ever remove the rear Bonnet? I also need to remove mine and would appreciate any tips and advice Thanks Bill
Yes I did.

First tip is go on Messic's website. order a NEW steering hub nut. Trust me, eventually, you will need it.

Next tip is to pull the plastic cover off the steering hub. Should pull right off.

I think it is a 17mm nut, if memory serves, loosen that nut but do NOT remove it. Take it almost all the way off. Use it to protect the treads of the shaft. While LIGHTLY hitting the nut as squarely as you can apply even upward pressure on the steering wheel. The vibrations of you hitting THE NUT ONLY and not the shaft, will free the wheel from it's teeth.

First time is the hardest, but I didn't have any issues. An extra pair of hands for the pulling on the wheel are a plus.

Keep this nut as the sacrificial nut. replace with the new nut. When you need to do it again 6 months down the road, change nuts and use the sacrificial one. JUST REMEMBER TO PROTECT THE SHAFT THREADS WITH THE NUT AS YOU HIT THE NUT. A 10 dollar nut is MUCH easier to change out that god knows how much for a steering shaft.

Good luck