BX bucket extension

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Since the weather has been so crappy, I have been concentrating on shop projects. Here is my latest, a bucket extension for the BX. It installs with 2 3/8" bolts and takes about one minute. No disrespect to BXpanded, but theirs is $339 plus shipping. My cost $22 and took a Saturday afternoon and one evening to build.. Now I am ready for mulch season!

Attachments

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Nice...looks like a handy item. I may have to make something similar. I'm curious where the two bolts are located. My eyes aren't the greatest and I've looked at the pics several times. Are they on the back side?

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Yes, the left bolt is in the top of the bucket level indicator , and the right is in the duplicate of the bucket level indicator I added to that side so I could wrap a log chain around the two. There is a bracket coming off the extension and down to the indicators. I can't do it tonight, but tomorrow I will post a picture that shows this.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yes, the left bolt is in the top of the bucket level indicator , and the right is in the duplicate of the bucket level indicator I added to that side so I could wrap a log chain around the two. There is a bracket coming off the extension and down to the indicators. I can't do it tonight, but tomorrow I will post a picture that shows this.

DB.

post a picture of that - I too wanted to see how it "bolted" down.

Excellent job BTW.:)

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Here is your picture. As I said, I had already added a duplicate bucket level indicator on the right side of the bucket, so it was easy to just use those to secure the extension. The 3/8" bolt holes are barely visible in the picture. Also, I got to use the extension last night to move some compost, and the difference in the amount of material I could pick up and move in one pass was dramatic.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here is your picture. As I said, I had already added a duplicate bucket level indicator on the right side of the bucket, so it was easy to just use those to secure the extension. The 3/8" bolt holes are barely visible in the picture. Also, I got to use the extension last night to move some compost, and the difference in the amount of material I could pick up and move in one pass was dramatic.

IF you were to backdrag - would the bottom try to come off the bucket???:)

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
It MIGHT. I haven't tried to do that with it yet. It IS wedged on pretty solidly, so it should take a small amount of back dragging, but for my particular application, I wasn't concerned about that. I built it ONLY for use on moving light materials like mulch, compost, light topsoil and yard debris, and once the digging and grading starts. it will come off. I think it would be too tempting to overload the bucket with heavy material if it was left on. Thats also why it doesn't have a full blown cutting edge, just a 1/4" X 4" sheet of steel with the front edge ground to a slight wedge, just enough to scoop up material. IF I wanted to leave it on, I would build a better cutting edge and add a couple of bolts on the lower front corners of the bucket like the Pirahna tooth bar. Once I actually get one of those, I might incorporate the mounting holes into my extension design for more security, although that would slow installation and removal time.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It MIGHT. I haven't tried to do that with it yet. It IS wedged on pretty solidly, so it should take a small amount of back dragging, but for my particular application, I wasn't concerned about that. I built it ONLY for use on moving light materials like mulch, compost, light topsoil and yard debris, and once the digging and grading starts. it will come off. I think it would be too tempting to overload the bucket with heavy material if it was left on. Thats also why it doesn't have a full blown cutting edge, just a 1/4" X 4" sheet of steel with the front edge ground to a slight wedge, just enough to scoop up material. IF I wanted to leave it on, I would build a better cutting edge and add a couple of bolts on the lower front corners of the bucket like the Pirahna tooth bar. Once I actually get one of those, I might incorporate the mounting holes into my extension design for more security, although that would slow installation and removal time.
I think it is the cats lick!!! If I had the materials - I would do the same - and I like how it attaches!!!:)