Game Processing

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This might not help either, but there are three basic types of muscle in mammals, skeletal, smooth, and cardiac. Skeletal muscle is all the limb muscles, "meat". The tongue is made up of skeletal muscle so the taste is the same as other meat. It can move without bones because the muscle fibers are running in little bundles in all 3 planes in an alternating pattern. The bundles are separated by fat and connective tissue which makes it tender and juicy when simmered long and slow with cloves peppercorns, bay leaves salt. Remove skin when cooked and cut into square pieces, no one will ever know.

Cardiac heart muscle is similar to skeletal. Smooth muscle mostly surrounds organs like the gut. Organs include glands and can taste pretty different.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
This might not help either, but there are three basic types of muscle in mammals, skeletal, smooth, and cardiac. Skeletal muscle is all the limb muscles, "meat". The tongue is made up of skeletal muscle so the taste is the same as other meat. It can move without bones because the muscle fibers are running in little bundles in all 3 planes in an alternating pattern. The bundles are separated by fat and connective tissue which makes it tender and juicy when simmered long and slow with cloves peppercorns, bay leaves salt. Remove skin when cooked and cut into square pieces, no one will ever know.

Cardiac heart muscle is similar to skeletal. Smooth muscle mostly surrounds organs like the gut. Organs include glands and can taste pretty different.
Ok sheepfarmer, when you come to visit I'll get the beer and the tongue but your cooking. :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was reading what Sheepfarmer wrote, and I'm thinking she said this is 3phase, AC meat! Man, that's too technical for me!!:D:D

I remember eating little squares of beef tongue. It was like eating sand paper. Must have been the cook!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Mom would take beef tongue and boil it then skin the skin off and inside was the tenderest meat you ever tasted, better than roast beef

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Deer season is over and totals are less than desired but rain and more rain and more rained put damper on the final tally.

Ended with about 80 pounds for grind, 20 pounds of steaks and 5 deer hearts.

We will be grinding in the next couple of weeks, working on time when buddies can come over and bring what they have.

Be a long winter and summer with only 100 pounds of venison to get us through.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Deer season is over and totals are less than desired but rain and more rain and more rained put damper on the final tally.

Ended with about 80 pounds for grind, 20 pounds of steaks and 5 deer hearts.

We will be grinding in the next couple of weeks, working on time when buddies can come over and bring what they have.

Be a long winter and summer with only 100 pounds of venison to get us through.
That's not a lot of meat for 5 deer but congrats, sure beats going empty handed, mmmm, taste the gravy.;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
BB ya gota understand, their deer aint much bigger than rabbits down there..lol

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
BB ya gota understand, their deer aint much bigger than rabbits down there..lol
Lol, yea but a deer burger is a deer burger no matter which way you look at it, yum. My little buddy always has some made up for me in the freezer and many days it's my lunch like today.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
It was 8 deer but some hearts had bullets through them:)

No our deer are not big!

Buddy joking said he was after some sweet meat last few days and was looking to shoot a yearling 60 pounder......

Yep we weighed her and 68 pounds, was one born this year with a tenderloin bout 8 inches long and back strap maybe 16" and 2" wide but I cooked it up and ole my tender.......

On average I'd say I get 20 pounds of meat off a deer that includes grind and steaks.

Good side is we can shoot 6 and have lot of friends that hunt and don't want but one so I get the rest of it.

Just bad year lot of rain limited hunting but the 80# of grind and 20# of steaks will be enjoyed through the year till next season.