Operating RPM's

Kmanrsss

May 5, 2015
Pittsfield, NH
I just got an L3540 and I'm curious as to what rpm to operate at. Mostly loader work and driving around? I don't want to over rev if not needed. Thanks.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
At the end of the day, there's no one 'right' answer but there are a few wrong ones...

Tractor says it has the Interim Tier 4 emissions. That means you are likely going to be at or near PTO operating RPM for the unit at almost all times. You don't want to idle those regen units unless you like doing regens (which may not be a bad thing, you might burn more fuel keeping the RPM's up).

So my way of running a unit is really not the way to go on a Tier 4 equipped tractor. I think your manual tells you specifically what to do for operations on that unit.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just got an L3540 and I'm curious as to what rpm to operate at. Mostly loader work and driving around? I don't want to over rev if not needed. Thanks.

well now, this is a hot topic for sure and the answers will vary.....

However - you cannot over rev it - Kubota has a limiter that will not allow it to run past a so called safety margin.

The hydraulic pump is DESIGNED to run at a certain rpm to be efficient....now what exactly that rpm is ....well it aint idle!:eek: Nor will you get volume at idle nor pressure at that rpm. SO to run around the answer some more .........

If trying to get the most work done and be efficient....then run it about 85%-95% of WOT.......if you are doing something that requires a little less screw up room, lets say you had a HOE and you were up against the house - you might want to back off and be slow with the hydraulics.

On my B7100 and BX ( has tach) I like to operate around 3000 rpms, some might say it is wide open, but it has more room - and there is a huge difference between 3000 and WOT (3400)

I dont like to make it screem but I dont like to make it moan either:D:eek::)

WILL it hurt it at idle? mmmmm...it is NOT good to baby it, then again it probably will not be good to run it wide ass open 100% of the time.

Hydraulic pumps are designed to run at a certain output - that output is at a certain rpm.....

Kmanrsss

May 5, 2015
Pittsfield, NH
Thanks guys. It's a 40 series so no emissions. I just got it and was playing a little last night moving new cabinets from the garage to the house. It has a tach and I was keeping it around 1500. Had plenty of power for what I was doing. I will keep playing and see what seems best.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Odd, I looked up that model and it said it had Interim Tier 4.

If it doesn't have emissions controls (regen) then it's an entirely different ball of wax.

My technique is to run around at about 1600 unless I'm dead stopped for a while then as low as she will idle. When I need power I boost it with the foot throttle and do what I have to do with the loader or box. If I'm using the mower, I match RPM's to the little 540 RPM mark on the Tachometer and that's where she runs, everything else is controlled with the gears.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I have the same tractor, and just use the HST features for running things. I really only need to rev up when using the backhoe or the pto, then it is just when running the unit, and back off. HTH

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
There are some You Tube videos on using the HST+ on your tractor, it has an "auto throttle" feature you might find helpful, it takes a while to gt use to them.

I often run my 5740 at 1500-1700 doing loader work, but will bump it up if needed. After you get use to your tractor, you will just go by feel as to what works best for various tasks. The only time I run mine at PTO speeds or above are when bush hogging or on the road.

I'm no mechanic, so keep that in mind, but I would prefer to run more RPMs than needed than risk not getting enough fluid flow by running to low. You may burn a bit more fuel running at higher RPMs, but you're not going to hurt your tractor.

Kmanrsss

May 5, 2015
Pittsfield, NH
Thanks guys. I've been playing with the auto throttle and it's pretty cool. Just like driving a car. I'm coming from an old ford 4500 that doesn't have a functioning tach s I've got no clue where I ran that. If I needed more power I'd give it more throttle. That things a beast, but has issues. That's why I now have the kubota.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
With the L3800 I use 1500 +/- for most work & 1800-2200 mowing.

The old 3750 never seeing more the 1700 rpm.

Last edited:

Craiger265

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 26, 2015
Manitoba Canada
The Kubota service manager told me that the 3 cyl diesel in my BX25 loves to run at high rpms, but you have to work with what your comfortable doing with your tractor. I haven't been over 3000 rpm's because I haven't hit 50 hrs for my first service call.