50 hr service and 4wd diff and gear case oil

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Did a search and couldn't find an answer. 50 hrs are up on my M5140. The manual says to change all fluids with the exception of coolant and the front differential and gear case. A change of 600 hrs is indicated for the front end. When the gears are breaking in initially aren't there some shavings produced? Seems like a long time on that original oil.

I'm sure Kubota has their reasons, any thoughts on this and should I stick with SUDT2 or regular gear oil in this hot Florida climate? Not sure what it originally comes with.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
IF I recall correctly, hotter climates should use the thicker oils. Cold climates the thinner fluid.

As far as change schedules go, you can always change a fluid earlier than the schedule calls for, it won't hurt anything. If you're worried about shavings, buy a nice sized N50 Magnet on line and stick it to the sump area of the gear drive. It'll pull all those shavings and hold on to them for ya... :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Did a search and couldn't find an answer. 50 hrs are up on my M5140. The manual says to change all fluids with the exception of coolant and the front differential and gear case. A change of 600 hrs is indicated for the front end. When the gears are breaking in initially aren't there some shavings produced? Seems like a long time on that original oil.

I'm sure Kubota has their reasons, any thoughts on this and should I stick with SUDT2 or regular gear oil in this hot Florida climate? Not sure what it originally comes with.
mmmm....

another hot topic .........oils!!!!

IF you run S-UDT2 year round in all places.....you got the best money can buy short of NASA!

Viscosity is where the hot and cold come into play - in cold climates, you want the oil to flow at a colder temp - thus a lighter weight.....and in hotter places it can be a little less viscosity. HOWEVER - once the oil reaches the operating temperature.....it will all have the same viscosity. Hard to understand but the proof is in the puddin.

In your climate I would run 15-40 shell diesel rotella synthetic in the engine and S-UDT2 everywhere else - and the magnetic holder is a good idea.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Thanks guys! I'm going with the Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck Motor Oil in the engine. I've been using it for a while and nothing bad I can say. It's also available in the Advance Auto stores and others. I can remember having to order online for the Mobil diesel stuff.

On the front end oil I'll probably go with the SUDT2. One less type of oil to buy :D

On the magnet, think I an find it in an auto parts store?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wouldn't want to go 600 hrs on the factory oil. On all the new tractors I've bought the front axle was very nasty @50 hrs.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Run 80w90 gear lube in the front axle. Have had too many issues with seals falling prematurely, partially due to the Super UDT being used.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Run 80w90 gear lube in the front axle. Have had too many issues with seals falling prematurely, partially due to the Super UDT being used.
I found a vent kit for the front axle on my L3000. No more leaks since the pressure is gone.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
A lot of it is the dirt that gets in the knuckle case seal too, especially if used in muddy conditions and not cleaned out

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks. I don't have a dipstick and all the check plugs are mounted horizontally.
Might be worth while to ask your dealer if they offer something like that for you tractor.

I was doing cleanup work after a tornado when my right front started to leak. It was about 100 or so and I was moving brush to the road all day. Long story short, I asked my dealer about seals and he suggested changing the fluid over to gear oil first. I got home that day and removed one of the plugs. It was like a M80 in a cow pie, stuff went everywhere. Me and the tractor were covered in oil from the pressure in the axle case. I talked to me parts guy the next day and he told me about the vent. Ordered it, installed it and so far I haven't had any more trouble.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Might be worth while to ask your dealer if they offer something like that for you tractor.

I was doing cleanup work after a tornado when my right front started to leak. It was about 100 or so and I was moving brush to the road all day. Long story short, I asked my dealer about seals and he suggested changing the fluid over to gear oil first. I got home that day and removed one of the plugs. It was like a M80 in a cow pie, stuff went everywhere. Me and the tractor were covered in oil from the pressure in the axle case. I talked to me parts guy the next day and he told me about the vent. Ordered it, installed it and so far I haven't had any more trouble.
Whoa! Would never have guessed the pressure would build up like that. This was on an L series? Have you had that problem on your larger ones?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I haven't had any problem with either M9000. Truthfully, I have only heard of this on smaller tractors. The M series must have a better design or it could simply be the size difference. The L series and smaller have a lot of parts crammed in a small package. Maybe the larger axle case on the M's dissipate heat better.

I'm glad I didn't have my head right over that plug when I took it out. Hyd oil in the face would suck. I was shocked at the amount of pressure that was built up. I'm glad it had cooled down on the ride home. I'm just guessing but I'm sure it had even more when it was hot.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
I haven't had any problem with either M9000. Truthfully, I have only heard of this on smaller tractors. The M series must have a better design or it could simply be the size difference. The L series and smaller have a lot of parts crammed in a small package. Maybe the larger axle case on the M's dissipate heat better.

I'm glad I didn't have my head right over that plug when I took it out. Hyd oil in the face would suck. I was shocked at the amount of pressure that was built up. I'm glad it had cooled down on the ride home. I'm just guessing but I'm sure it had even more when it was hot.
You may have lucked out. Hot oil in the face, or worse in the eyes would have been way bad! I'm surprised sometimes with how hot the loader lines get after working the loader hard in hot weather. I've been lucky avoiding spurting hydro oil from the hoses.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I ran a 988 Cat loader one time that had a hyd temp gauge with real numbers. During the summer I have seen it go 250 - 275 degrees. I touched the hyd tank after work one day while I was greasing and it blistered my arm. It doesn't take long to find something else to lean on.