Contemplating B2650 purchase

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Looking for a new tractor. I have a B7200 now but it lacks the power I need for doing work around our 12 acre parcel. I only really maintain about 6 acres, mostly bush hogging, landscape work, building things, moving things around, road maintenance, and the like. We have some hilly spots and my main issue with the B7200 is that it moans and groans when I try to bush hog those areas. I know the B2650 has considerably more power, and is about 25 years newer, any B2650 owners have experience operating on hilly areas? Plenty of power? I was thinking the B3350 but would like to stay away from the DPF and emissions equipment.

Thanks,
Nate

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

I'll let ya know. Just lugged mine home today. Only had a couple of minutes to play with it, moved a little compost around.

Feels pretty stable even with the higher CG from the cab. Roughly the same wheel base and tread width I had on my JD750 and I never felt unsafe on that as long as I used a little common sense.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
The 2650 would be a great choice. Also, for probably not much more, you could look at the L2501.

CJN8

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the input gentlemen! It is a very tuff decision. Want to make sure to make the correct one.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmmm lets see AC, Heat, radio, filtered air, windshield wipers, you don't have to worry about them in Ca,,lol,,, yeah if I could there would be one sitting in the garage right now

HJT

Equipment
2011 Kubota B2620, loader, 60"MMM, 60" KK rear blade
Apr 17, 2015
Lewis, Iowa
If only one would fit in my garage!! Had to get one without the cab. Opening to low. HJT

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
If only one would fit in my garage!! Had to get one without the cab. Opening to low. HJT
Guy at the dealer said some engineers from Japan came by some years back when the B2650 Cab was in development, looking for suggestions.

One was to make the cab 3" shorter so it would fit into a standard 7' garage door. They didn't take advantage of that idea for some reason.

Fortunately, when I built my garage, I framed it up with 10' walls so a 9' door would fit for just that reason. I got a lot of strange looks from passers-by for framing a garage with 2x6's and 10' walls, but I got the last laugh...

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
I struggled with same issue. 82 inch clearance. Only solution for me is custom build which is still in process but almost done.

Peak is 79.5. Bonus is I get what I want and just over half cost of OEM. As I never learned to weld the challenge was finding someone who was proud of their work and understood what I wanted. For anyone within reasonable distance from New Brunswick, Canada it is worth the inconvenience of transporting and being without your tractor for three weeks. The guy will only build when he has tractor as he indicates it is the only was he can fit to his satisfaction.

Before the collective intake of breath at changes to ROPS I discussed with engineer who confirmed adequate protection. I made an informed and rational decision and it is my arse in the seat.

If anyone is interested in builders coordinates I am happy to pass along.

CJN8

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Ha ha. I dont think I can convince the wife that I need a cab on the 2650 out here in San Diego. It would be nice to have the AC in the summer. Looks like an open cab is in my future.

I went to the dealership yesterday and test drove the 3350, nice machine, way different than my little B7200. It was funny, drove the tractor around the lot and it ran out of diesel. I am 99% sure the 2650 will serve my needs.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Observations after some seat time on my new Cab-ota:

1. My Woods 650 3PH backhoe is NOT going to fit without modification. It's got to be set back at least 6 inches for the seat to clear the cab, and the upper mounting point is a shade too wide to fit in the bracket on the tractor. I'm going to meditate on that for a while and decide if I should modify it, or just sell it and rent a trackhoe when I need one.

2. The rear remotes are a different size (larger) and not compatible with my existing hoses and cylinders. Just need to get the appropriate adapters.

3. The hydro whine is REALLY loud under load. Going to have to start wearing ear protectors.

4. Otherwise, the hydro is handier than a pocket on a shirt. I was a bit leery of hydro for heavy work. Never really thought about how much time I spent shifting the trans and range levers on the JD. I put the 5 foot box blade on and set the rippers as deep as they would go and tore up my raggety driveway. It handled it fine.

5. The loaded rears make quite a difference. I tilled a neighbor's garden without needing 4WD, which I couldn't do with the JD. Speaking of tilling, the cruise control is nice, but it doesn't pop off when you hit the brakes. You need to set it back to zero to change direction or stop. Hafta remember that.

6. The cab makes hooking up implements harder for two reasons: Less clearance at the rear of the tractor, and having to go around the through the doors to tweak the 3PH position.

7. LOT of glass on that cab. Excellent visibility, but even with temps in the high 40's, when the sun comes out it gets warm in there. I actually ran the AC for a few minutes.

8. God Bless the man that invented power steering.

Piper792

Equipment
B3350
Apr 25, 2015
Barlow, Ohio
Thanks for the update. I just changed my order from the 3350 to the 2650. I read that the 2650 was the same engine that was in the 2920, but they did a few mods to get the HP to 26 to get away from the emissions. I talked to the dealer about the 3350. I don't think he helped sell it very well. "Well we can get you a loaner tractor if it breaks until we fix yours" um no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piper792

Equipment
B3350
Apr 25, 2015
Barlow, Ohio
Oh yeah still working out a deal on the 2650. What did your numbers come in at?

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I struggled with same issue. 82 inch clearance. Only solution for me is custom build which is still in process but almost done.

Peak is 79.5. Bonus is I get what I want and just over half cost of OEM. As I never learned to weld the challenge was finding someone who was proud of their work and understood what I wanted. For anyone within reasonable distance from New Brunswick, Canada it is worth the inconvenience of transporting and being without your tractor for three weeks. The guy will only build when he has tractor as he indicates it is the only was he can fit to his satisfaction.

Before the collective intake of breath at changes to ROPS I discussed with engineer who confirmed adequate protection. I made an informed and rational decision and it is my arse in the seat.

If anyone is interested in builders coordinates I am happy to pass along.
Holy crap that's a nice cab!!!! WOW!!!

BUT where's the ROPS? Do you not care about your life, your family, your pets, your mortgage company, your flowers that depend on you for water?:D Hey, I'm in the do what's best for you camp. Based on your fabrication skills I have to assume your a pretty smart fella...smart enough to know what he needs and doesn't need.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
tcrote5516, to respond to your statements for OP go read post #8. He answered your questions before you read the entire thread.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
tcrote5516, to respond to your statements for OP go read post #8. He answered your questions before you read the entire thread.
I did read the entire thread including post #8.

I'm guessing you didn't finish reading my entire post or you would have noticed I was busting his chops based on his ROPS comment in post #8. I ended my post by saying he looks like he has the skills and brainpower to make his own decisions about ROPS.

Just wanted you to know I wasn't being "that guy" or Captain Safety!

CJN8

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Got my quote. 2650 tractor, FEL, quick disconnect bucket, 54" gearmore box blade for $21k out the door. How's that sound?

Piper792

Equipment
B3350
Apr 25, 2015
Barlow, Ohio
I just got the 2650, FEL w/QD 54" bucket, 60" Belly Mower, filled R-4 tires. $19,900. You can get it for $19,400 if it is a cash deal. Great tractor plenty of power.

CJN8

Equipment
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
I pulled the trigger. Now it is a waiting game. I got the tractor, loader, R4s, 54" quick attach bucket, telescoping rear arms, and a new 54" HD gearmore boxblade. I offset the price by selling my little B7200. I will miss that little tractor. I will post pictures when it comes in.

Piper792

Equipment
B3350
Apr 25, 2015
Barlow, Ohio
Man what a great tractor. [2650] Literally spend all day on it today, like 6 hrs. Box blade, FEL work then a landscape rake to finish up. Oh yeah used the FEL to grab some wood for a fire and drank a few beers.

Putting the mower on in the am to cut 4 acres. Where did the weekend go!