Kubota UDT substitute

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hokie, I appreciate your response…but don’t use terms you don’t understand.

“ad hominem = Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument .”

I did not attack anyones “character, motive, or other attribute”. I only offered an analogy that might clarify the proposed logic of the argument.

https://www.merriam-webster.com ›
The meaning of HYPERBOLE is extravagant exaggeration (such as 'mile-high ice-cream cones)

My analogy did not exaggerate… It demonstrated improper application of substituted product or items.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hokie, I appreciate your response…but don’t use terms you don’t understand.

“ad hominem = Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument .”

I did not attack anyones “character, motive, or other attribute”. I only offered an analogy that might clarify the proposed logic of the argument.

https://www.merriam-webster.com ›
The meaning of HYPERBOLE is extravagant exaggeration (such as 'mile-high ice-cream cones)

My analogy did not exaggerate… It demonstrated improper application of substituted product or items.
I understand my yerms perfectly.

Dan

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Oooh, yuck, yerms. Can you take antibiotics or do you need a vaccine for yerms?

Reactions: 1 user

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Unless you’re in a pinch, I don’t see the value in using some off brand that may work in order to save like $15. As someone else said, the cost/benefit just doesn’t make sense, especially when you look at the potential cost to repair/replace if something goes sideways. Saving $15 at the risk of spending 100s or 1,000s to repair doesn’t seem like a good return in he investment.

Just because valvoline produces oil for Kubota, doesn’t mean it’s the same stuff they make for other companies with a different label on it. Their is most likely some detailed procurement specification outlining the requirements needed to produce SUDT2 for them and even the lowest bidder would need to meet those requirements along with providing evidence of compliance to meeting the specification.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Been reading this thread off and on…

Finally concluded I don’t care. I will lose a few bucks over a period of years using Kubota fluids.

Works for me. Do otherwise? Just buy that hamburger with what you save and hope for the best. Could turn out to be a “free” hamburger but if not…who knows?

Guess I’m not into free hamburgers…LOL

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Been reading this thread off and on…

Finally concluded I don’t care. I will lose a few bucks over a period of years using Kubota fluids.

Works for me. Do otherwise? Just buy that hamburger with what you save and hope for the best. Could turn out to be a “free” hamburger but if not…who knows?

Guess I’m not into free hamburgers…LOL
MANY years ago, from the free plastic toys in cereal boxes.......
I learned that "free" almost always = "poor"!

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just because valvoline produces oil for Kubota, doesn’t mean it’s the same stuff they make for other companies with a different label on it. Their is most likely some detailed procurement specification outlining the requirements needed to produce SUDT2 for them and even the lowest bidder would need to meet those requirements along with providing evidence of compliance to meeting the specification.
There is a specification for SUDT and it is not a secret.

Kubora UDT is just a typical UTTO that is not significantly different than any of the myriad of competing products from other blenders. Kubota has never claimed other wise.

SUDT is nothing more than an incremental improvement on UDT and the areas of improvement and qualifying test requirements are described in full and gory detail in this document. Buy a copy, read it, and the differences will be clear.

1661792193333.png

For those that don't want to go that route here is the Cliff Notes cheat sheet for the specifications document:

First and foremost there is ZERO discussion of anti-wear or EP additive performance. The new formulation is still a GL4 gear oil just like UDT and all of the other UTTO's being sold today,

The claimed improvements and associated performance tests are related to 3 specific areas:
  1. Viscosity - the new formula is lower viscosity and pumps easier in cold weather. Cinventional UDT is an ISO 46/68 hydraulic fluid with a viscosity index of 140. SUDT is now an ISO 32 hydraulic fluid with a viscosity index of 200. There are currently a bunch of competing products that fall into that category.
  2. Water tolerance - the new formula has a state of the art (ca 1997) rust and oxidation prevention additive package. Nothing earthshaking there. But it can also absorb greater quantities of water with out the formation of sludge or additive drop out that can clog filters. There are only a few products on the market today that make such a claim. John Deere Hygard (J20D) and CNH Ultraction SSL (Mat 3353) are two that I know of.
  3. Friction characteristics - the new formula has improved friction modifiers that improve wet brake and clutch performance resulting in reduced clutch/ brake chatter and squawk. This one is harder to evaluate. Every product on the market makes that claim. One of the Kubota qualifying tests is put it in the tractor and drive it. If the operator thinks it squawks or chatters it fails.
Dan

Last edited: