Cutting metal...what are my options?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"That is one massive gate post!!!!"

Whitetiger, it sure holds up well! Sorry about that, small errors make a big difference. I'm just glad I'm not on a space mission.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Almost any hardware store sells abrasive blades that directly install onto a 7 inch handheld circle saw. These are flat blades, not the dished type that are installed on some hand held grinders. Careful to get the meant for metal abrasive blade, not the masonary ones. How do I know?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
"That is one massive gate post!!!!"

Whitetiger, it sure holds up well! Sorry about that, small errors make a big difference. I'm just glad I'm not on a space mission.
I was just thinking that some evening I would have to drive by and see what you were using for a gate that needed a post like that or if you just like to over build. :D

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
weather finally moderated a bit and my schedule eased up...

So using an elec angle grinder and metal cutting wheels from lowes I attacked things today and it cut very nicely. Blade lasts a good long time - bought a 5 pack figuring they'd be like the dremel or disks i've used on air die grinders and they'd 'go quickly'.

On the second blade..the first was still going well when the grinder slipped in my hands and well, the blade came apart.

At the farm I've not installed a 220 outlet so using a cheapo harbor freight (chicago tools) 110v flux core wire feed welder to tack things up - worked just fine.

I brought home what I've got so far to use the ac stick welder to do some 'strong' welds, then have one more section to tack and finish weld.

End result will be a back blade for snow plow made from a toro 48" lawn tractor snow blade.

Also an education in welding and building/fabricating for tractor use.

Next year plan to put hydraulics on it and get a 'real' blade for the front (again, something i'll fab up) and a hyd top link.

Tomorrow the ROPS goes on also, if all goes according to plan (which rarely happens).

then probably weights on the front, ROPS lights...trans/hyd fluid still need changed.

To little daylight this time of year!

st8yd

Equipment
2003 L3130 HST, LA513, Pats easy hitch
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
There are also purpose built circular saws. They aparrently cut heavy plate like butter.
It's not the saw but the blade that makes the cut. There are carbide tipped saw blades especially for cutting steel that can be used in any saw.

st8yd

Equipment
2003 L3130 HST, LA513, Pats easy hitch
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
I have never bothered with gas torch, as much as I usually want cleaner cuts but the cost of them also.
However, I recently purchased a cheap $200 plasma cut 50 from Ebay to do demo on my dump trailer as cutoff wheels just won't reach every where. Can't imagine using gas torches ever again for cutting. Cuts much quicker. Very happy with the machine!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
One thing to keep in mind with cut off wheels. Ok.... actually a couple things :)

1st, do yourself a favour and get a face shield. I've had a coworker buy some cut off wheels for the shop. He didn't pay attention to the rpm speed for the wheels. I didn't pay attention to there rating when installing on my die grinder. They were rated for lower speed then the die grinders we used. Had one shear apart leaving a piece embedded in my neck :eek: Missed my jugular by a couple centimeters.

2nd, Pay attention to the rpm rating for the disc. Make sure and buy cut off wheels that meet or exceed the rpm rating for the tool they are used on. This is from die grinders to chop saws.

3rd, as stated, Pay attention to the material they were intended for. One for aluminum or masonry is gonna give you fits when cutting steel. Like others, I've been there done that :rolleyes:

I asked Santa for the better of the two chop saws from harbour freight for when I'm doing metal projects at the house. :D

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Another option is a double cut saw, two counter rotating blades, will slice through all kinds of things, steel included with no problem. I used mine to shorten my snowblower PTO shafts. Took me longer to get the parts set up for the cut than to cut them (I didn't have a bench or vise at the time).
About $60 at Harbor Freight.