Cutting metal...what are my options?

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
OK..i've used torches in the past, seen a plasma cutter used, used a chop saw.

I own none of these things..I do have a cheap set of torches but no tanks.

I have welders...but now I want / need to fabricate a snow blade mount for my old L175 and need to cut metal.

I tried an air/die grinder with a cut off wheel..too cold now, it freezes up and won't run. :eek:
I have a battery powered sawzall..haven't tried that yet. Other than cutting nails or a few plumbing bits never cut metal with a sawzall.

So...I can perhaps get tanks for my torches..or new torches w/ tanks and cart, $485. Not excited about that cost.

Harbor Freight has some chop saws..price is under $100. Reviews are not great regarding the longevity of the motors. THeir plasma cutter is $560...

Now i've cut metal, er, burned holes in it, with my stick welder in the past...

Some of these won't leave a pretty cut, but I have a grinder and figure i"ll have to compromise a bit someplace. It doesn't have to be pretty to be functional.

An odd, shall we say, coworker says propane and compressed air with the torches will work...I have serious doubts about this.

Compressed air and stick welder maybe sounds more feasible but just as hokey.

So..what do you use, how do like it, what do you recommend?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My preferred method on heavy stuff is cutoff wheels for my 5” electric grinder. Walter has about the best cutoff wheels. Lighter 3/16” or less is my jigsaw for intricate work. Hack off i use plasma.
Plasma is so nice,but nothing compares to a quality unit like hypertherm. 30 amp is ok,50 amp is better. Try looking at a used unit, they are out there.
If you have a steady hand,you are on your way to some nice cuts.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm with Frank. Use a cutoff disc on a 4 1/2" grinder on most things. I use a chop saw with 14" blade on bigger stuff. Almost never use oxy/act torch. Have an ESAB 875 plasma cutter I use some, but prefer the cutoff disc.

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
I have all the cutting tools listed except for the plasma (possibly next).
Not sure what thickness material your using, but I’ve had good luck with a Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw. The blades are kinda pricy, but the cutting results are worth it. I have cut 5 X 5 x 3/8 angle with it without any trouble (it does take multiple setups to cut that deep).

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Propane and oxygen are commonly used in steel cutting industries.
Something has to change on the torch to make it work/safe.
I think propane is easier to get and transport than acetylene.
May be a little cheaper also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm with Frank. Use a cutoff disc on a 4 1/2" grinder on most things. I use a chop saw with 14" blade on bigger stuff. Almost never use oxy/act torch. Have an ESAB 875 plasma cutter I use some, but prefer the cutoff disc.
I too like a cutoff wheel, might burn a few up over a long run but, worth it in my opinion.

I have cut 1/2" steel with a jig saw....aint fun, and is slow.....but gets there if you are patient!;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Like hokie said, HF has angle grinders fairly cheap if you h ave one close get one and some cut off wheels and when it burns up take it back get another one.
Lil Bro did that several times and when he finished he took that one back and wanted his money back,, they complied

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I recently had to cut a piece of 6" angle 1/2" thick. I struggled with a 14" chop saw using a generic abrasive wheel. Tried a Makita brand wheel and it went MUCH better. Still a bit of a challenge but the wheel made all the difference.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
You can use propane and oxy but you have to change the tip on your torch. It does not burn as hot as acelyne. I like my plasma cutter for almost everything I cut anymore. Smaller stuff I use my 14 inch chop saw

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
i got some metal cutting wheels, not grinding wheels, for my angle grinder and will try that tomorrow.

The air one usually works..it just don't like 23F apparently.

At least the elec one won't get ice friggin' cold in my hands..not terrible in July but this time of year? no thanks! LOL

May try the stick welder..I have some older rod, not ideal, but worth a shot. 'Directions" say to use 6010 and as many amps as you got, preferably DC...I have 6013 and AC...only 5 minutes to try it, nothing to lose but 1 rod as htey say to wet or soak them in water first.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Using a welding rod to cut metal leaves a pretty rough result. I use that process to burn holes in steel post (usually 7'dia) to run a threaded rod through to hang a gate. Pretty isn't important there because there is a flat washer covering the mess!

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Since you already have the saws-all you might want to try that with Milwaukee Torch blades. Works pretty well. I have a Ryobi chop saw, and it’s great with a good wheel on it. The Harbor Freight band saw works pretty well for a lot of my stuff, throw away the blade that comes with it, and get a good blade, mine was from Graingers. I like it because I can start a cut and walk away, it shuts off when it’s done. During my apprenticeship many years ago I was taught how to cut with torches, so I am pretty good with them but there is still more clean up needed than a cutting wheel or blade.

Jerry

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have everything in metal cutting from a hacksaw to a plasma cutter. The list of what I don't have is shorter: I don't have a water jet, I don't have a laser, I don't have carbon arc. I use them all, depending on the task at hand. The best choice really depends on what you are cutting: type of metal, how thick, how long, how accessible, etc.

From your description, I'm guessing you will be working with mild steel, 1/4" or so thick angle iron or perhaps .188" wall rectangular tube? And you prefer to keep this on the cheap, using the tools you already have?

Your sawzall will work fine on that with bi-metal blades for steel, probably 18 (for 1/4") or 24 (for .188 wall) tooth per inch. That would be my first choice for speed and low cost. My second choice would be a grinder with thin (1/16") cut-off blades. I would reverse those choices if accuracy is more important than speed, especially if you plan to make angle cuts.

If you are looking for an excuse to buy new tools, then a plasma cutter, ox-acetylene torch, abrasive chop saw or band saw would all work. Torches are the most versatile general-purpose tool on that list, good for heating things, cutting thicker ferrous metal and even welding things. The downsides: all the other methods make neater cuts, gas ain't cheap, neither are cylinders. Different tips should be used to cut different thicknesses of metal. You will need a grinder to clean up the cuts afterwards.

An abrasive chop-saw is reasonably quick and accurate. Far less clean-up of cut edges required than with a torch. On the other hand, the part to be cut must fit in the saw, the saw leaves a lot of grinder dust behind and the cost of disks per cut may actually rival the cost of O/A gas. It will kind of cut non-ferrous metals like aluminium for a while, but tends to clog up pretty fast, after which it doesn't cut so well.

A plasma cutter can make fairly nice cuts pretty quickly in any conductive metal (in fact, if you cover it with a piece of tinfoil, you can cut things like glass with plasma). A 40 or 50 amp unit would have no trouble at all with 1/4" and will cut up to about 1/2", albeit slower and rougher. Unfortunately you need an air compressor and while cheaper than A/O, consumables like the electrodes and nozzles have to be replaced periodically. Unlike a torch, the plasma is not suitable for heating or welding.

The neatest and most accurate of the 4 is the bandsaw. Incorporating a vise, such a saw is the best choice for neat, mitered joints. The prototypical 4"x6" horizontal are readily available new or used and very economical to use. They can cut almost any metal. They are slower than the other methods, but can be set to run unattended once the piece is clamped in place. As with the chop saw, the work piece must fit in the saw.

Whatever your choice: work safely, have fun and be forewarned: this hobby can be addictive!

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
Lots of great info, thanks.

I have 2 original frames for the plow for a smaller wheel horse - plan to use the back part to attach to my tractor, need to 'split' it as it's not wide enough, but it's got the right holes to attach to the tractor.

The front part is made to fit the blade, so it needs separated from the rest of it.

Then I need to add about 4 to 6' of metal in the middle - Not sure if I can reuse/repurpose the second frame, or I have some 2"x4" steel tubing that I think will be a better choice.

Been too busy with other new toys (box blade and post hole auger..get to try it today for the first time) and got a ROPS for $100 from the dealer that will go on next week (for mounting lights, tool boxes and it's 100lbs so some additional weight too).

Need to work on adding front weight as well. But I gotta get working on this snow blade deal before it's snowing and i'm stuck using a shovel!
I have everything in metal cutting from a hacksaw to a plasma cutter. The list of what I don't have is shorter: I don't have a water jet, I don't have a laser, I don't have carbon arc. I use them all, depending on the task at hand. The best choice really depends on what you are cutting: type of metal, how thick, how long, how accessible, etc.

From your description, I'm guessing you will be working with mild steel, 1/4" or so thick angle iron or perhaps .188" wall rectangular tube? And you prefer to keep this on the cheap, using the tools you already have?

Your sawzall will work fine on that with bi-metal blades for steel, probably 18 (for 1/4") or 24 (for .188 wall) tooth per inch. That would be my first choice for speed and low cost. My second choice would be a grinder with thin (1/16") cut-off blades. I would reverse those choices if accuracy is more important than speed, especially if you plan to make angle cuts.

If you are looking for an excuse to buy new tools, then a plasma cutter, ox-acetylene torch, abrasive chop saw or band saw would all work. Torches are the most versatile general-purpose tool on that list, good for heating things, cutting thicker ferrous metal and even welding things. The downsides: all the other methods make neater cuts, gas ain't cheap, neither are cylinders. Different tips should be used to cut different thicknesses of metal. You will need a grinder to clean up the cuts afterwards.

An abrasive chop-saw is reasonably quick and accurate. Far less clean-up of cut edges required than with a torch. On the other hand, the part to be cut must fit in the saw, the saw leaves a lot of grinder dust behind and the cost of disks per cut may actually rival the cost of O/A gas. It will kind of cut non-ferrous metals like aluminium for a while, but tends to clog up pretty fast, after which it doesn't cut so well.

A plasma cutter can make fairly nice cuts pretty quickly in any conductive metal (in fact, if you cover it with a piece of tinfoil, you can cut things like glass with plasma). A 40 or 50 amp unit would have no trouble at all with 1/4" and will cut up to about 1/2", albeit slower and rougher. Unfortunately you need an air compressor and while cheaper than A/O, consumables like the electrodes and nozzles have to be replaced periodically. Unlike a torch, the plasma is not suitable for heating or welding.

The neatest and most accurate of the 4 is the bandsaw. Incorporating a vise, such a saw is the best choice for neat, mitered joints. The prototypical 4"x6" horizontal are readily available new or used and very economical to use. They can cut almost any metal. They are slower than the other methods, but can be set to run unattended once the piece is clamped in place. As with the chop saw, the work piece must fit in the saw.

Whatever your choice: work safely, have fun and be forewarned: this hobby can be addictive!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Torch pretty well covered it. I sense you want to keep the cost to a minimal. Like torch said, the sixteenth inch cutting wheel would be my choice along with good gloves, eye protection, ear plugs and certainly a good respirator for all the dust you will be making. The key word is patience. You can do some nice work with this setup, just keep in mind it will take some time.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
If what you want to cut does not conveniently fit into a chop saw or bandsaw vice, one of the cheapest options is to use a 7 inch circle saw with an abrasive blade. I have used this method for cutting I beams, 6 inch box beams, and channel. All the metal in this roof was cut with an abrasive blade in a circle saw and welded with 6011 rod.

Attachments

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Before you spend money on tools, you should make a list of the major pieces that you will need and talk to a local metal fab shop. It will probably be a lot cheaper to buy the pieces pre-cut than to buy the tools to make them yourself.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Using a welding rod to cut metal leaves a pretty rough result. I use that process to burn holes in steel post (usually 7'dia) to run a threaded rod through to hang a gate. Pretty isn't important there because there is a flat washer covering the mess!
That is one massive gate post!!!! :D

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
so it's basically just a die grinder wheel but on a circular saw?

If what you want to cut does not conveniently fit into a chop saw or bandsaw vice, one of the cheapest options is to use a 7 inch circle saw with an abrasive blade. I have used this method for cutting I beams, 6 inch box beams, and channel. All the metal in this roof was cut with an abrasive blade in a circle saw and welded with 6011 rod.