Buying a dump trailer- how to protect the bed from manure?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Hodge, have you looked into any financial assistance from the state or Fed level? Why I ask is because I know of a farm local to me in the same predicament. Basically they told whoever who wanted them to build a structure to house the manure that doing so would put them out of business financially. It turned out someone gave them the money to build what they wanted them to. Just thought I would throw that out there.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge, have you looked into any financial assistance from the state or Fed level? Why I ask is because I know of a farm local to me in the same predicament. Basically they told whoever who wanted them to build a structure to house the manure that doing so would put them out of business financially. It turned out someone gave them the money to build what they wanted them to. Just thought I would throw that out there.
We had discussed, with the state representative, the issue of spending considerable money to satisfy the stipulations, with only 8 or 9 horses being boarded. My daughter had the business because she loves horses, not because it was a money maker. At the end of the day, she made enough to support her own horses and cover a few other expenses, but she wasn't making a hefty profit. So, we could easily spend ourselves out of reality. That was part of the reason to get a dump truck or trailer, so that it could be used for other things- it was easier to justify it because of broader uses. During these discussions, the rep never offered any advice for financial assistance. But, the financial part wasn't the bigger burden; someone watching over your shoulder, meddling in your business, then running like a coward to the state- that was the real burden. If you've got concerns, own them, and go to the person. Give them a chance to correct things, before the boom is lowered.
At the end, we just had to change how we managed the manure, and we had to fence in two ditches, which the state had put in 40+ years ago to channel run off from the road to the creek. The concern was erosion of the ditch banks from horses walking through, and that erosion not allowing the grass to grow. Grass filters run off from the field, keeping proteins from the manure from getting into the creek. They suggested (the state) that we put culverts in (about 300 feet), or line the ditches with heavy rock. We suggested, and opted, to run electric fence around the two ditches, keeping the horses out. So, the hassle was a bigger frustration than the actual solution. Hopefully, we won't deal with it again- we are down to 4 horses now, and we've continued to meet the requirements. But, the state rep warned that at any time, the next nosy environmentalist could drive by and call, for any stupid reason. Hopefully, they won't have any viable concern, and they can be brushed off (by the state).

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And they wonder why the hell I hate people from the cities :mad:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Your state rep probably won't know anything about financial programs available to farms to help with manure storage. Most of them are federal. Get a hold of your local FSA office.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Hodge, I feel your pain. My grandparents boarded horses while I was growing up. One of our boarders had issues with an old horse. They had just rescued it, and it was skin and bones. Put it on there property near a busy road. And some busy body called the state on them about the condition of the horse. State came in, called in there vet, didnt consult the owners vet at all, and charged them with neglect.

They had to sue the state to get there horse back as well as going to court with there vet about the neglect charges. This thing was old, and had a case of narcolepsy :p This horse would fall asleep mid chew, while being led, and in the middle of any other task :rolleyes:

When they got the horse back, It went to my grandparents pasture in the mountains. We lived on a dead end road, that was a half mile above any of the neighbors. I had a rain day from work and was home, looked out and saw someone pull up to the gate, a couple people get out and start wondering around our pasture :confused:

It was the same busy body, with the same yahoo from the state with them. They didn't get 10 feet into the pasture, before they were met by me with a gun. Informed them they needed to talk to the cops who were called, and had to have probable cause and a warrant to inspect any of the horses in our pasture. We had 2 at the time. The one taken by state, and a 30 old albino that was blind and had been on our property for 20 years.

Cops showed up and issued no trespassing orders on both people :cool: The person working for the state ended up getting fired not to long after the visit to my grandparents property.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge, I feel your pain. My grandparents boarded horses while I was growing up. One of our boarders had issues with an old horse. They had just rescued it, and it was skin and bones. Put it on there property near a busy road. And some busy body called the state on them about the condition of the horse. State came in, called in there vet, didnt consult the owners vet at all, and charged them with neglect.

They had to sue the state to get there horse back as well as going to court with there vet about the neglect charges. This thing was old, and had a case of narcolepsy :p This horse would fall asleep mid chew, while being led, and in the middle of any other task :rolleyes:

When they got the horse back, It went to my grandparents pasture in the mountains. We lived on a dead end road, that was a half mile above any of the neighbors. I had a rain day from work and was home, looked out and saw someone pull up to the gate, a couple people get out and start wondering around our pasture :confused:

It was the same busy body, with the same yahoo from the state with them. They didn't get 10 feet into the pasture, before they were met by me with a gun. Informed them they needed to talk to the cops who were called, and had to have probable cause and a warrant to inspect any of the horses in our pasture. We had 2 at the time. The one taken by state, and a 30 old albino that was blind and had been on our property for 20 years.

Cops showed up and issued no trespassing orders on both people :cool: The person working for the state ended up getting fired not to long after the visit to my grandparents property.
That's one, of many, problems in our culture. No honor, no responsibility. If you have a problem with what someone else is doing, first ask yourself what your motives are, if it is your business, and if anything is accomplished by intervening. If you decide that something does need to be done, go to the person, first. That's your responsibility- if you feel you need to get involved, then you need to do the uncomfortable and get invested- look then in the eye, share your concern, and be willing to listen to their side. But, no. Instead, people jump in with both feet, make snap judgments without knowing the facts, they probably embellish when they report it, and then they sit back and watch you go through hoops, probably with a smug look. If they won't take responsibility themselves, the agency that has been reported to should demand that the reporter go with them, to confront the accused. If a person wants to be nosy and meddle, they should owe up to what they are doing.
We have an upper pasture, with a percheron and a donkey staying in it, during the day. They are boarded every night, fed in their stalls at night and in the morning, have a round bale in a run in, and graze when grass is in. This past Winter, someone up the road from us talked to another neighbor, sharing her concern that the horse and donkey were neglected (which is far from the truth- both belong to my daughter, who is a large animal vet tech. She takes excellent care of them). She knew NOTHING about our practices, but told the other neighbor that since she knew us, she would mention it to her, so that she could mention it to us, before she called PETA. In other words, I don't know them, but you do. Say something before I have to call. I drive by every day, but I won't stop and clear things up- I'm going to call, unless YOU talk to them.
I was livid. The woman that knows us, is a lifelong friend. Her husband is a pastor. I told her that the right thing to do was to council the woman to come talk to us, and I wanted to know who she was. Our friend wouldn't tell us, but she did set the woman straight. I don't feel that it's solved, though. Who knows what will come up, next?
PEOPLE NEED TO MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS, UNLESS THEY ARE WILLING TO GET INVOLVED.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Different states have various levels of involvement with such matters!

About 10 years ago there was this emaciated horse that lived on a 3 acre triangle near an exit ramp on a state highway. The land the horse was on was owned by the State of Ks.

One afternoon I was driving by and saw an old red PU there and a guy looking at the horse. I stopped. It turned out to be the owner. He had bought the horse for his daughter when she was like 10, and she was then in college. She had ridden him in various events. His name was Cutter.

The horses feet looked like snow skies. The man was letting water out of a container in his truck into a metal trough set under a row of trees. He said he had trouble keeping fresh water in the tank, and what was in there was evidence of that!

I suggested he get a board like a 4x4, or 2x6 and lay it at an angle on the trough because there was a dead squirrel in the water. He thought that was a good idea.

I asked him if he had given the horse some de-wormer lately... No, he didn't know about such a thing. Told him his horse needed some additional nutrition to get it condition back or it would likely die the next winter.

Through this conversation, we (my wife mostly) got the horse to our place and started taking care of it properly. We even took it to the local Vet and had it's teeth floated.

After about 6 months the Vet knew a family who would like a horse for their young child, and the man agreed to give the horse to them.

During the time we had the horse, we got the feed at the local feed store. The owner paid all those bills, and the vet bills. He and his daughter even met us at the vet that Sat. AM to watch the teeth being worked on.

It all turned out good. The state had no involvement and even though they had been notified of the "skinny horse" they did nothing either way.

And it also goes to prove all attorneys are not bad people.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Different states have various levels of involvement with such matters!

About 10 years ago there was this emaciated horse that lived on a 3 acre triangle near an exit ramp on a state highway. The land the horse was on was owned by the State of Ks.

One afternoon I was driving by and saw an old red PU there and a guy looking at the horse. I stopped. It turned out to be the owner. He had bought the horse for his daughter when she was like 10, and she was then in college. She had ridden him in various events. His name was Cutter.

The horses feet looked like snow skies. The man was letting water out of a container in his truck into a metal trough set under a row of trees. He said he had trouble keeping fresh water in the tank, and what was in there was evidence of that!

I suggested he get a board like a 4x4, or 2x6 and lay it at an angle on the trough because there was a dead squirrel in the water. He thought that was a good idea.

I asked him if he had given the horse some de-wormer lately... No, he didn't know about such a thing. Told him his horse needed some additional nutrition to get it condition back or it would likely die the next winter.

Through this conversation, we (my wife mostly) got the horse to our place and started taking care of it properly. We even took it to the local Vet and had it's teeth floated.

After about 6 months the Vet knew a family who would like a horse for their young child, and the man agreed to give the horse to them.

During the time we had the horse, we got the feed at the local feed store. The owner paid all those bills, and the vet bills. He and his daughter even met us at the vet that Sat. AM to watch the teeth being worked on.

It all turned out good. The state had no involvement and even though they had been notified of the "skinny horse" they did nothing either way.

And it also goes to prove all attorneys are not bad people.
This is a GREAT example of a solution through relationship. Everyone benefited from maturely, responsibly handling the situation.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
What's the issue with horse manure getting into water? It's been doing that for thousands of years, even before they were domesticated. Should be be making sure deer and bear poop doesn't get into the water also?

I don't remember where I got the attachment from, or if it's real, but I liked it so a kept it. This thread reminded me of it.

Attachments

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Late to this party but back to the original question. Epoxy would be great but there is another option used in horse trailers. There are different brands but basically it's shredded stall mats that are then filled with 'liquid rubber'. It's actually pretty cool and smooth enough to dump. The best part is I don't have to pull mats from the trailer anymore to clean under them.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I never thought manure was that corrosive to steel, but then again I'm not a farmer. I can understand wanting to take care of your equipment so it lasts, I'm looking for a dump trailer myself.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Manure is very corrosive to steel. It will eventually eat right threw it.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
Should have bought a galvanized trailer. Little more in cost but the protection would be more than just the bed of the trailer.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
:confused: How much S#!T you haulin'? Load it up, haul it, dump it.
Concerned? Dump it again, and spray it out with a hose?
I worked on Dairy farm as a kid, and had horses growing up as well. Yes, things will rust, but rust through a dump trailer? Did I miss somewhere where you are just going to leave it loaded or something?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
:confused: How much S#!T you haulin'? Load it up, haul it, dump it.
Concerned? Dump it again, and spray it out with a hose?
I worked on Dairy farm as a kid, and had horses growing up as well. Yes, things will rust, but rust through a dump trailer? Did I miss somewhere where you are just going to leave it loaded or something?
Reread the thread, he tells us that it has to be loaded daily and left on until full and why it has to be done that way.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Manure is very corrosive to steel. It will eventually eat right threw it.
Horse manure isn't as bad as cow. It's the urine in the shavings, and the soup that is made when it rains.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
The reason I suggested stainless is that is what I used to rebuild my dump box after a tree broke off and crushed the original during a wind storm. Price wise it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. But I did catch it when the price of stainless was at a 20 year low. It was around $600 for 3 sheets of 14ga that I used for everything but the perimeter, which was rectangular tube.

Might be worth looking into having some pieces sheared to line the bottom and the sides. Should last a lifetime.

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Why not leave as is, touch and patch as needed. When it gets bad enough rebuild the box with stainless. If stainless is in the $600 price range quoted by Yooper, that probably beats a lot of the other suggestions.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Why not leave as is, touch and patch as needed. When it gets bad enough rebuild the box with stainless. If stainless is in the $600 price range quoted by Yooper, that probably beats a lot of the other suggestions.
That is a thought that has gone through my head- go ahead and put it into service, and see how it fares over the next six months or so. My opposing thought- it would be easier to apply something now, while it is clean and new.

Now that I have it- my cousin and I drove down to Kaufman's NC plant and picked it up yesterday- it has come in to focus- this is a big dump trailer!

I'll take a moment to report on Kaufman. This is the second trailer that we've bought from them. The first is a 24' gooseneck flatbed trailer. We have been extremely happy with the first trailer, after owning it for about 5 years. One of the things that has pleased us the most- the salesman (Tom Davis) has called once a year, to check up on us and see how the trailer was doing. That is admirable customer service. So, when we decided to get a dump trailer, we looked at Kaufman. They gave us a great price, knocking 10% off, as well as us not having to pay NC sales tax. The process of picking it up was quick, professional, and painless, and they are extremely organized and orderly. They are an impressive and honorable business, and I highly recommend Kaufman Trailers.