Bring it on...winter, that is

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
I am dreaming of retirement......only 31 years left after today if I go to 65!! These 12-14hr days are killing me!

I have the best of everything. A BX with a front blower and cab. Lots of snow. And, being newly retired, plenty of time to clean things up. Don't have to rush around to get it down before or after work. Actually the best part is after driving tractor trailers for 46 years I don't have to drive in the crud any more. :)

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I knew the day would come when I had to try out the new tractor with a front blower. I almost felt sad that I might get some scratches. Not. The first thing I noticed is that it's so much easier to navigate then going backwards. This is the first time in twenty years that I'm seeing where I'm going rather then where I've been.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
People here say the winters are horrible, but I have my doubts it can be any worse than where we were to the lee of Georgian Bay! LOL
Be advised that the snow in the lee of Georgian Bay are every bit as bad as you remember.

That said, I've seen some pretty horrific photos of house-hiding snowfalls in the Maritimes!

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Well, the report from the field is this: My 1870 performed like a champion clearing snow with the FEL. Now granted, it was only 6" of light stuff, but things went well...places where my old JD455 would struggle to get up a driveway incline, the 1870 whipped right up it. I didn't even realize that it wasn't in 4wd until I had finished. Clearing the drive did not take me any longer with the bucket than it did with the 455. Again though, this was just a dusting. But, all told, very happy with the performance.

Consider myself relieved. I was not expecting it to be as quick & simple as it was.

NBKubota

Equipment
2650HSDC
Aug 3, 2017
New Brunswick
Be advised that the snow in the lee of Georgian Bay are every bit as bad as you remember.

That said, I've seen some pretty horrific photos of house-hiding snowfalls in the Maritimes!
Torch, you would definitely know, you live right where we moved from, Muskoka! I still remember a snowfall from December 11, 2009 that left us with over 3 feet of snow in one storm. Our place was just east of Bracebridge.

Out here so far as I can tell, the snowfalls can vary greatly depending on where you are and proximity to the ocean. Could be lots of fun with "ocean effect" snow? LOL

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I still remember a snowfall from December 11, 2009 that left us with over 3 feet of snow in one storm. Our place was just east of Bracebridge.
I'm northwest of Huntsville. I remember that storm, had to drive down to T.O. by blasting through the unplowed drifts on Lone Pine Dr. etc. as Hwy 11 was completely fubar -- abandoned cars kept the plows from getting through and the cops were evacuating stuck drivers by snowmobile. Another storm dropped almost as much the next day.

All that said, while I've had to dig down to find the car on occasion, I've never had to dig down to find the house.

Woodsie

Equipment
1980ish B7100 (Gear)
Oct 25, 2017
Warwick, Rhode Island, USA
bout 4 months ago, I bought a late 70's (I think-haven't run the numbers because, it doesn't really matter) B7100D gear. wow, I cannot get over how much work this thing can do. came with the Snowcaster off front PTO for a song. but, just recently(mean like last week)I acquired the dozer blade, hyds and subframe. got to test the whole shebang out last Sat. we got 7" of sloppy heavy stuff. am in Rhode Island in the vortex of Narragansett Bay, where anything goes. happy plowing, blowing and scooping everyone!

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
New owner of bx1880 with front blower. Any advice as to how not get the blower jammed with snow? I did some slushy stuff near the road that had some salt melt and clogged the chute already. Just avoid that stuff? Go slowly? Not sure how to remedy this.
Thanks,
Jeff

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
New owner of bx1880 with front blower.
Is it a snow blower (double stage, augers move snow to centre then impeller throws it out the chute) or a snow thrower (single stage, auger also flings the snow up the chute)?

The latter is far more prone to plugging. To throw the snow any distance requires a sufficient volume of snow is packed into the system and of course packing wet snow is what plugs the system...

In either case, try to make all parts that come in contact with snow as slippery as possible. Keep surfaces rust-free and painted. Apply and reapply a coating such as Dupont Teflon Ice and Snow repellent, silicone spray, wax, cooking spray. I know some guys who have lined their chutes with pieces of Krazy Karpet.

And when it does plug -- which it still will upon occasion -- SHUT THE DAMN THING OFF BEFORE STICKING YOUR ARM IN THERE TO CLEAR IT!

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
Is it a snow blower (double stage, augers move snow to centre then impeller throws it out the chute) or a snow thrower (single stage, auger also flings the snow up the chute)?

The latter is far more prone to plugging. To throw the snow any distance requires a sufficient volume of snow is packed into the system and of course packing wet snow is what plugs the system...

In either case, try to make all parts that come in contact with snow as slippery as possible. Keep surfaces rust-free and painted. Apply and reapply a coating such as Dupont Teflon Ice and Snow repellent, silicone spray, wax, cooking spray. I know some guys who have lined their chutes with pieces of Krazy Karpet.

And when it does plug -- which it still will upon occasion -- SHUT THE DAMN THING OFF BEFORE STICKING YOUR ARM IN THERE TO CLEAR IT!
It's the BX2816 snow blower. I'll try some silicone spray in the chute.
Jeff

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It's the BX2816 snow blower. I'll try some silicone spray in the chute.
Some people remove the wire hand guard safety feature from the front of the chute. Makes clogs easier to clear and may make them less likely in the first place. But I didn't tell you to do that. ;)

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Torch, you would definitely know, you live right where we moved from, Muskoka! I still remember a snowfall from December 11, 2009 that left us with over 3 feet of snow in one storm. Our place was just east of Bracebridge.

Out here so far as I can tell, the snowfalls can vary greatly depending on where you are and proximity to the ocean. Could be lots of fun with "ocean effect" snow? LOL

I drove from my home in Smiths Falls to Georgian college in Midland in that storm,took 16 hours,f150 in four wheel the entire trip,burnt a ton of fuel. At the end ,thought I was lost,couldn't see because of the snow so pulled over,I was at my hotel in Midland!

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I drove from my home in Smiths Falls to Georgian college in Midland in that storm,took 16 hours,f150 in four wheel the entire trip,burnt a ton of fuel. At the end ,thought I was lost,couldn't see because of the snow so pulled over,I was at my hotel in Midland!
Geez, that's gotta be a 6 hour drive on a good day! You must have been slightly insane to try it in that storm. ;)

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Geez, that's gotta be a 6 hour drive on a good day! You must have been slightly insane to try it in that storm. ;)
I had to attend a week long coarse starting the following Monday,according to the information I had the storm wasn't to start until the next morning and last all weekend,I thought I would beat the storm,instead wound up it the thick of it and gridlocked on the 401 for hours

NBKubota

Equipment
2650HSDC
Aug 3, 2017
New Brunswick
I had to attend a week long coarse starting the following Monday,according to the information I had the storm wasn't to start until the next morning and last all weekend,I thought I would beat the storm,instead wound up it the thick of it and gridlocked on the 401 for hours
Yup..... one heck of a storm!

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
New owner of bx1880 with front blower. Any advice as to how not get the blower jammed with snow? I did some slushy stuff near the road that had some salt melt and clogged the chute already. Just avoid that stuff? Go slowly? Not sure how to remedy this.
Thanks,
Jeff
You could try attaching rubber paddles made from tire sidewalls, stall mat, or other material to the impeller blades to close the gap between the blades and the barrel. I haven't done that mod myself but the reports from others who have say that it will pretty much eliminate clogging.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
My BX 2370 e/w snowblower works best at blowing slush when I turn up the rpms, to increase the second stage impeller speed. I usually run it @ 3K RPM while blowing snow or slush. As I look over at my neighbor running basically the same blower mounted on a John Deere, I can see every impeller load of slush leaving the shoot individually, because he will not turn up the rpms. He has to clear the slush out 3-4 times while trying to clean up a smaller driveway.
RPMs gain you thrust, which helps clear the slush out of the shoot.
I,ve mentioned it to him a couple of times he needs more RPM, but, what,s that saying about leading a horse to water. LOL

Last edited:

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
My BX 2370 e/w snowblower works best at blowing slush when I turn up the rpms, to increase the second stage impeller speed. I usually run it @ 3K RPM while blowing snow or slush. As I look over at my neighbor running basically the same blower mounted on a John Deere, I can see every impeller load of slush leaving the shoot individually, because he will not turn up the rpms. He has to clear the slush out 3-4 times while trying to clean up a smaller driveway.
RPMs gain you thrust, which helps clear the slush out of the shoot.
I,ve mentioned it to him a couple of times he needs more RPM, but, what,s that saying about leading a horse to water. LOL
I did that yesterday and adjusted the chute to go more up instead of horizontal which also allowed a larger volume of snow to fly out without hitting anything. Worked great and no clogs!