Buying a dump trailer- how to protect the bed from manure?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Im kinda late in the game here...

If you are at all interested in doing this yourself, there is an exceptional product out there called Monstaliner....

http://www.monstaliner.com/

Dont let the 'weirdness' of the product name or website fool you. This stuff is serious. A few years ago I scuffed and covered a Toyota 4 Runner with this stuff.

This was a trail rig that I was tired of seeing all scratched up. Its a roll on application that is cured by the humidity in the air. What made me think of it was the mention of bedliner and my experience with this VS a rhinolining I had put into another truck. The Monstaliner set up with a relatively slick surface despite it being textured. I believer there is a way to reduce the texture even more but I dont remember how.

Its put on with a roller, so doing the inside of a dump trailer would be a breeze.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Its similar to LineX, but at a fraction of the cost if you are willing to put in the sweat equity.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Its similar to LineX, but at a fraction of the cost if you are willing to put in the sweat equity.
Thanks. I hadn't heard of it before. I've experimented with most of the other self-applied bedliners. Monsta sounds like a better product.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Is hands down better than the stuff you can buy in a rattle can or paint can at your local box store.

It's a 2 part system that comes in either premixed generic colors or a tintable version. I tinted my kit to match the original color and it was dead on.

Sent from a field

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
They also make a product called Chassis Saver that is similar to POR15. I used it on the aforementioned 4Runner on the chassis covering years of rust and neglect. It hardens to a astonishingly smooth, slick, hard surface and sticks to ANYTHING it touches. They state you should wear gloves while using it. I should have. It didn't come off my hands for 3 weeks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
They also make a product called Chassis Saver that is similar to POR15. I used it on the aforementioned 4Runner on the chassis covering years of rust and neglect. It hardens to a astonishingly smooth, slick, hard surface and sticks to ANYTHING it touches. They state you should wear gloves while using it. I should have. It didn't come off my hands for 3 weeks.
I have some Chassis Saver here. I've used POR15 in the past.

I have a friend who was working with POR15. Didn't wear gloves. Had to pee...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hodge i am still curious as to how your daughter gets the manure into the truck or trailer? Always looking for a better way to handle mine....

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge i am still curious as to how your daughter gets the manure into the truck or trailer? Always looking for a better way to handle mine....
She cleans the stall using a wheelbarrow, and dumps it in the dump truck (previously), and now in the dump trailer (once it is put in to service). I have a ramp built that makes it easy to wheel the wheelbarrow up.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Is hands down better than the stuff you can buy in a rattle can or paint can at your local box store.

It's a 2 part system that comes in either premixed generic colors or a tintable version. I tinted my kit to match the original color and it was dead on.

Sent from a field
Thank you for suggesting this. I am looking into it- it is probably the direction we will go. It'll be in black, and I'm going to contact them about roller suggestions so that we could get a smooth finish.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Good luck and remember... The product relies on relative humidity to cure. You have a big project and if you want to apply more than 1 coat, which I would recommend, pick a low humidity day. Otherwise you wont get good adhesion between the layers....

st8yd

Equipment
2003 L3130 HST, LA513, Pats easy hitch
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
It's going to get all of the joints sealed, then two coats of industrial paint. I'd rather err on the side of caution, than have to fix rust later. An ounce of prevention.
It will also get the entire underside coated with Fluidfilm.
I realize this is a few months old, but here is a recommendation. As I just got thru rebuilding my dump trailer.
I have never had anything caustic as manure in it, only new construction debris from job sites.
On my dump trailer the center seam was only welded occasionally, this allowed water to set there and started rusting the center beam out and also the floor started rusting from there out, till it was about 3'x4' hole.
So I would highly recommend you weld or have the seam welded solid down the center, then seal anything else as you want, but the sealer wont stay in that seam over time.

I repaired all the steel framing, had it sand blasted then I painted it with cold galvanize. I wanted to line it with .125" stainless steel, but that was just to expensive, so I had 3/16" aluminum made to fit in the frame and bolted the sides at the top to hold it in.

You probably already know but any caulking you do don't use silicone.