Broken Off Shift Lever Question

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Ok, since you were so helpful with my oil drain plug problem, I am here for more help. The shift lever is broken off on the new tractor. It has had a vise grip pliers being used to change gears which is fine for bush hogging but not for other more demanding task which require frequent direction changes. If I were to remove the 5? bolts that hold the plate on will it just lift out of there without all kind of parts falling out of place? In other words can I just remove it to have it welded and it will go right back in place or are there parts in there that will become misaligned when I remove the plate.

Thanks,

Profnohair.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Couple of options come to mind:

Buy a dye and thread the stub, attach a section of pipe with a double female coupling

I would look at the parts diagram/picture you can have sent to you by Messicks....see what's beneath the cover.....I imagine it's just a drop-in shift assembly, but the parts picture would help.

What model tractor is this?

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Couple of options come to mind:

Buy a dye and thread the stub, attach a section of pipe with a double female coupling

I would look at the parts diagram/picture you can have sent to you by Messicks....see what's beneath the cover.....I imagine it's just a drop-in shift assembly, but the parts picture would help.

What model tractor is this?
I guess the model would help. It is a L1500.

I could go the die and thread route but there is not enough clearance to turn the shift lever to tighten it on the gas tank side. I would still have to remove the plate to do it. So the question still has to be answered before I take it apart.

Profnohair.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
On my M series you can take the shifter plate off with no problems, just need to get the ball ends of the shifters aligned in the fork slots as you re-assemble. Wasn't a big deal.
Do you have the broken off piece? There was probably a spring/retainer pin arrangement similar to the other shifter. Will want to make sure the weld is smooth so that those pieces can be re-assembled , those arrangements usually slide over the top of the shifter and the spring and top cap give a little friction fit to the shifter assembly.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
On my M series you can take the shifter plate off with no problems, just need to get the ball ends of the shifters aligned in the fork slots as you re-assemble. Wasn't a big deal.
Do you have the broken off piece? There was probably a spring/retainer pin arrangement similar to the other shifter. Will want to make sure the weld is smooth so that those pieces can be re-assembled , those arrangements usually slide over the top of the shifter and the spring and top cap give a little friction fit to the shifter assembly.
Unfortunately I do not have the spring. I can most certainly obtain a spring to replace it and maybe drill a small (brad sized) hole in the lever at the correct level to provide the right amount of 'friction' needed.

Last edited:

stepdoctor

Equipment
L295DT, loader, backhoe, John Deere 40W, International 140
Jul 3, 2011
Troutville Virginia
A welder is a good investment when owning and working on tractors. I have a L295DT and have had to top off of mine and it went back with no problems. Good luck