Kubota or Kioti ?

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Here's why I decided to go with Kubota.

Late last summer (2008) I decided to retire my 1993 GMC truck that I've used for plowing for 13 years and look into purchasing some type of tractor. The tractor will be used for only one thing and that's snow clearing. At the end of the winter it will be parked and not used again until the next winter season so my reasons for needing a tractor might be much different than some of yours.

I started out looking at the Kioti. At the time the new Kioti DK45 Cabed HST model was just coming out but the dealer never had one in stock. I liked them so much I told the dealer to order one and was happy with my decision until I noticed a Kubota L4240 Grand L series cab model on Kubota's lot. Both the Koiti and Kubota were very nice machines and made it very hard to figure out which one best suited my needs.

I'm not someone new to operating equipment. I operating equipment for a living at one time racking up over 20.000 hours on all types of machinery including 966, 988 and 992 Cat loaders being just a few so having extensive hours operating I had half an idea what to expect from a small tractor with a FEL.

Anyway, after seeing the Kubota I noticed it had a number of things that I liked much better than the Koiti such as rear defrost on all three windows (Kioti never had rear defrost). The Kubota had front fenders which the Kioti never had. The tilt steering column on the Koiti would only tilt from the wheel where as in the Kubota the full column would tilt. The two dealerships are only about two miles from each other so I would go back and forth sitting in each machine and after a few trips doing that I got the feel for both machines and the Kubota had the fit and finish over the Koiti hands down.

Now I looked at the pricing of both units. I live on an island called Newfoundland. Living here dealers have the attitude of "Take it or leave it, that's our price and that's it". It's not good for the consumer so haggling is much tougher for the buyer.

Both units were around the same price so that made the decision harder. The Kubota was about $2000. over the cost of the Koiti but you could see why when comparing the two tractors because of all the little "Extras" on the Kubota.

Anyway to continue on here with my little boring story and to keep it as short as possible I got a little over $5000. off the Kubota because the tractor had 19 hours on it. The dealer had it on there lot and would use it from time to time to show customers and move a little snow. I didn't mind that because I really liked the tractor. It looked as if it was just built. It was 100% clean. Plastic still on the seat and all.

When I went to purchase the Kubota the salesman said "We know of your reputation on how you like to look after your stuff so we're including both the shop and factory service manuals with the tractor at no extra charge. He also said that seeing the tractor got 19 hours on it when it hits 50 hours come in and we'll give you all the fluids and filters for free to do the 50 hour service. Wow I was impressed and when it hit the 50 hour mark they stood to there word and did what they said they were going to do.

While I was in the office I told them I wanted the best snow blower I could get for the tractor so they had the Kubota L2674 Blower put on it that came with the drift cutters and all the hydraulics to operate the rotation and deflection and I got a third function valve installed at the same time because I wanted to adapt my trucks plow to the tractor and use it for snow clearing which I did and anyone can search my posted and see how that turned out.

The salesman delivered the complete unit a few days later which is 60 miles from where I live. A few days later he retured with two Kubota jackets for me and the wife. I still very much appreciate him doing that!

The machine now has 89 hours on it and I can honestly say it's been the best winter I've ever had.

The throttle advance setup on this tractor makes it one of the best items that the tractor has for snow clearing and an item which I never thought about at the time of purchase. You can operate this tractor as if you were plowing with a pick up. As soon as you push on the forward foot lever the throttle picks up and she starts to move. It's the exact same way it worked on all the high end Cat equipment I used in the past.

The HST Plus is a transmission that's years ahead of it's self. I just love the way that works and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. Some of the Koiti guys will say that the lifting capacity on the Kubota is less than the Kioti's. I don't know and I don't care to be honest because I haven't had anything yet that would stop my little beast. The beefy 854 FEL with the quick change system is perfect and does a perfect jobevery time.

The cabs on the Grand L series tractors are second to none. There quiet and very well designed. Not one draft gets in the cab. I've been out in weather where I could hardly see the plow yet had to remove my jacket due to the warmth of the cab. One of the only things I didn't like about the cab was the fact that the wiper didn't have a wiper delay but I found a way around that and I just love the wipers now.

I guess you can tell by now that I'm pleased with my Kubota and the selling dealer. The two have exceeded my expectations. I'm actually not looking forward to this winter ending. I have a few really good snow clearing contracts and even my customers have noticed the better job the tractor does over my old truck. I'm an avid motorcycle rider and I ride a fully loaded Goldwing and if I had to pick between the bike or the tractor I would pick the tractor hands down.

I hope someone gets something out of this in the way of information. I can only speak for my Kubota L4240 Grand Cab L series tractor but this is one fine piece of equipment and my hats off to those responsible for designing and building it. This ones a keeper. I call my Kubota the "Kioti Killer.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Wow! A great review. Top shelf!

I can see where you are coming from regarding the dealers digging their heels in a bit regarding giving you a deal - there are only so many new tractors on the island and it costs $$$ to get them there. Still, I find it amazing that you got $5000 off on a tractor that had 19 hours on it!! Well done! Each of those hours cost the dealer $263!

PLUS, you got all of the manuals and a free 50 hour service and a couple of Kubota jackets! Good deal for sure, well done. Only thing left for them to do is come over to your house and cook you dinner! :D

Sounds like you have a good relationship with your dealer. Sometimes that is not always the case (especially if you mention something about your gray market tractor), you can start off on the wrong foot and they tell you to take a hike (200 miles up the road to some other dealer).

The throttle up features and the new HST plus transmission are also new features found on the upcoming L45 due out within the next month or so - sounds like they work pretty good.

Finally, how to tell Wildfire has his priorities in the right place:

Wildfire said:
I'm an avid motorcycle rider and I ride a fully loaded Goldwing and if I had to pick between the bike or the tractor I would pick the tractor hands down.
That's the spirit we like to see! :)

Wildfire

Equipment
Thank Mr.K. The dealer has treated me very well no doubt about it. Over the past 14 years I've been in business I've done a few jobs for the owner of the Kubota dealership and although we haven't always seen eye to eye he knows that if I purchase something I have a tendency to keep it in top condition. As an example. The picture below shows my 1993 GMC 4X4 pick up that I purchased new. This truck had plowed snow since it was new and this will be the first winter it hasn't done so. The truck is mint and it still has it's original paint. The pictures of the truck was taken this morning.

I live on a very busy section of our town. The owner was smart because he knew If he sold me a tractor I would always have it looking like new and that it would be parked in an area where it would always be visible from the main street which it is. When folks see the tractor they come in asking me about it and I just hand out a business card on behalf of the dealer, I show them a little about the tractor and they go away happy.

This past Christmas the salesman from Kubota dropped by with his service manager to wish my wife and I Seasons Greetings and drop off a bottle of wine so they do there part as well to keep a good relationship going and it's an example all dealers can and should go by.

We do our snow clearing for a couple of Government buildings and even those customers have mentioned how much better the snow clearing is this year with the tractor. With the quick change system I can drop the plow, pick up the bucket and remove snow from the lot where as before it would just have to stay there until it melted or I leased a 966 Cat loader to remove it for them.

There is a Hugh fenced compound in the rear of one of the buildings where it needs to be cleaned out from time to time because the snow piles up inside. In the past I would hire a loader to take a bucket full at a time and remove it from that area and it would take a few hours to do. Now I go in with my Kubota and using the bucket I pick up the snow, pile it up in the middle of the compound and then back into it with the rear snow blower and blow it all over the fence so what would take two hours in the past now takes 25 minutes and I get the two hours pay so I'm more than happy with my Kubota.

When I decided on a Kubota my biggest concern was what size would I need. I almost purchased the L5740 Grand Cab model but decided to go with the 4240 and I can tell you that this little tractor can handle all the snow mother nature can dish out and then some. Yep I'm happy!:D

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
Probably a bit off-topic for the theme, but I love the condition of the GMC, as I have a 98 2500 that I also like. I have seen many a vehicle from "the Island" that has been almost eaten out by rust. Is it caused by a combination of sea salt spray, and salt used for highways de-icing or what? How did you manage to avoid the effects of salt corrosion on your sharp looking pickup truck? There are usually so many hidey holes for the salt to get into that a feller can't possibly clean them all. Out here in Southern B.C. they pour the salt onto our roads worse than McDonalds fries, (another one of my vices, I confess) and most vehicles show the rust in very short order. Sort of like those old Datsun pickups used to get after a winter or two! By the way, I really need your Kubota out here for snow removal as mine does not have a cab, and it is too cold for man or beast!! Let me know when your bored with it okay? :)

Wildfire

Equipment
Probably a bit off-topic for the theme, but I love the condition of the GMC, as I have a 98 2500 that I also like. I have seen many a vehicle from "the Island" that has been almost eaten out by rust. Is it caused by a combination of sea salt spray, and salt used for highways de-icing or what? How did you manage to avoid the effects of salt corrosion on your sharp looking pickup truck? There are usually so many hidey holes for the salt to get into that a feller can't possibly clean them all. Out here in Southern B.C. they pour the salt onto our roads worse than McDonalds fries, (another one of my vices, I confess) and most vehicles show the rust in very short order. Sort of like those old Datsun pickups used to get after a winter or two! By the way, I really need your Kubota out here for snow removal as mine does not have a cab, and it is too cold for man or beast!! Let me know when your bored with it okay? :)
Curbster I've had that old truck since 1993. It's plowed snow every year since then except this year. I never lost a tranny, rear end or anything for that matter so It's been a great truck. I've always looked after it though. It's been washed about three times a weeks for years. It's undercoated in the fall every year by me in my shop and it takes me over two hours to get every nook and cranny there is to get.

I have a special treatment that I use on the paint. I have a bottle of spray liquid that I apply on one portion of the truck at a time and then rub it down with a special putty. After the complete truck has been all done with this stuff it's completely waxed again with an Amway wax called "Mint Condition". This treatment is done in the spring of each season and when the truck is done it looks like it had a new paint job.

Inside the truck is as clean as the outside. By looking after the truck it's looked after me. It's funny because although it's an old truck it still feels like a new one. Now that the truck looks old due to it's styling I get many comments like " that must of come from down in the states " or " that haven't seen much snow". It's just living proof that if you take the proper care of a vehicle it will last a long time.

After I purchased the tractor last fall I retired the truck and it's only used now to pull my welding rig around. As for the tractor. The last tractor I had before this one was an old Massy that I owned back 25 years ago. It had a steel seat and no cab. It was fun for the first few times but no fun with out a cab after that so that's why I wanted a cab this time.

I'm very pleased with the Kubota so far. It's toasty warm and powerful enough to move snow and with the HST it's as fast as the truck and turns on a dime. I'll let you know when you can come get it :D

Attachments

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Wildfire said:
I have a special treatment that I use on the paint. I have a bottle of spray liquid that I apply on one portion of the truck at a time and then rub it down with a special putty. After the complete truck has been all done with this stuff it's completely waxed again with an Amway wax called "Mint Condition". This treatment is done in the spring of each season and when the truck is done it looks like it had a new paint job.

Yes! That is exactly the right way to treat your paint. One of the best things a person can do for their vehicle is to wash and wax it regularly. That's about it (well how you wash it is important too - but my point is that wax goes a long way).

You've put in the effort and it shows. Your truck is MINT!

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
I'm an avid motorcycle rider and I ride a fully loaded Goldwing and if I had to pick between the bike or the tractor I would pick the tractor hands down.

Wow! The tractor over the Wing, that's saying a lot!! I have 144,000 miles on my 01 1800 Wing, love that thing. I stayed in Bay Roberts two years ago when visiting the Rock.
I love Newfoundland and you Newfies there. We had bad weather and colds on that trip, hope to go back someday. I'm getting my L4400 tomorrow, really looking forward to that!!!
Hope I love my tractor as much as you do!! I think... , I really enjoy that Wing.. Here's a link to our trip to the Rock in 2007..
http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16990&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Wildfire

Equipment
Wow! The tractor over the Wing, that's saying a lot!! I have 144,000 miles on my 01 1800 Wing, love that thing. I stayed in Bay Roberts two years ago when visiting the Rock.
I love Newfoundland and you Newfies there. We had bad weather and colds on that trip, hope to go back someday. I'm getting my L4400 tomorrow, really looking forward to that!!!
Hope I love my tractor as much as you do!! I think... , I really enjoy that Wing.. Here's a link to our trip to the Rock in 2007..
http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16990&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Hey wng-2 glad to hear you made it to the rock and on a Wing. Too cool! I enjoed looking at your thread. I used to hag out there on that site a lot one time. Lots of good Wing info there. The weather around these parts can be a hit and miss thing for sure but I'm glad to know you enjoyed the locals.

I bet you can't wait for tomorrow to come. You know your going to have to post pictures of the new tractor here for us to see.

Here's a local Newfoundland biker site that I hang out at. I'm Wildfire on there as well. Drop by and say hello if you want.

http://snagsblog.com/Forum/phpBB3/index.php?sid=af5940f64811f7dd08844b0139cf8d30

Here's another picture site of my tractor and motorcycles plus all the stuff I collect and restore.

Welcome to this site. Really good info on here. The boys know there stuff. Thanks for posting and good luck with the new tractor.:cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15602393@N05/

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
Hey wng-2 glad to hear you made it to the rock and on a Wing. Too cool! I enjoed looking at your thread. I used to hag out there on that site a lot one time. Lots of good Wing info there. The weather around these parts can be a hit and miss thing for sure but I'm glad to know you enjoyed the locals.

I bet you can't wait for tomorrow to come. You know your going to have to post pictures of the new tractor here for us to see.

Here's a local Newfoundland biker site that I hang out at. I'm Wildfire on there as well. Drop by and say hello if you want.

http://snagsblog.com/Forum/phpBB3/index.php?sid=af5940f64811f7dd08844b0139cf8d30

Here's another picture site of my tractor and motorcycles plus all the stuff I collect and restore.

Welcome to this site. Really good info on here. The boys know there stuff. Thanks for posting and good luck with the new tractor.:cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15602393@N05/
Thanks very much! I will check those sites out, pictures of my new orange friend to come soon....

Wildfire

Equipment
Holy smoke that's a nice looking machine! Won't be much that you can't handle with that beast. I think the Wing is going to be jealous :D Thanks for posting the photo's and I know you'll enjoy owning such a great machine.

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
Holy smoke that's a nice looking machine! Won't be much that you can't handle with that beast. I think the Wing is going to be jealous :D Thanks for posting the photo's and I know you'll enjoy owning such a great machine.
The Wing might be jealous, the Kubota is cleaner....:eek: