Brake Light Switch Question

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I was checking over my L3940 today and I noticed my brake lights didn't come on when I pressed the brake pedal or set the parking brake (I assume they should come on when I do these). Anyway, I noticed there is a 5 amp fuse in the fuse box the goes to a "Brake Lamp Switch" but it seemed to be fine. I switched it out with another one to check also. When I pulled the 5 amp fuse out the dashboard parking light went out so I assume it went to the little switch located above the lever that sets the parking brake. I also noticed a switch with a plunger with two black wires that is activated when the brake pedal is pressed. It is held in place with two screws. Could this be the culprit that prevents my brake lights from coming on? By the way, the bulbs are good and the blinkers and tail lights work fine. It' just the brake lights will not come on. If that little plunger switch is not the problem...any suggestions? Thanks.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I've never seen a Grand L for the US market with functioning brake lights, I've owned two, I believe Wildfire has discussed this and can probably tell you how to hook them up, but he doesn't post much any more.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Maybe it doesn't have brake lights. I guess what was confusing me is it has double filament bulbs installed like you have for a brake light and a tail light. I have a 1992 MF 231 and it has brake lights. Go figure?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Marker lamps and signals. Thats the two filaments. Brake lamp is the indicator in the dash when you set park brake. Very uncommon for brake lights on a tractor.
Wildfire is probably busy.
The east part of the country got whacked with some snow.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The tail lights work off of the lighter, dimmer filament, and the flashers work the larger brighter filament!;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Very uncommon for brake lights on a tractor.
That's what I thought to until I started looking at other brands. NH, JD and IH all have brake lights, at least on bigger tractors. One of my friends has a 110hp NH and it has yellow flashers and red tail/stop lights. Same set up on his baler. Same deal on another friends IH tractor and baler. Another farmer I help some has 2 JD's and they both have brake lights. Kubota is way behind on those type features, but on the other hand it's less stuff to break.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
My L3800 has brake lights. On the back, on each rear side, assy has red lens and amber lens. Also the plunger type switch for the brake pedal.

You could try depressing the switch with your finger to see if the play is set correctly. Otherwise jumper the switch with a piece of wire to check it.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Could it be a safety switch?
Will it start with the brake off?
Check it with a meter to see of it has continuity or voltage.
You will need a wiring diagram to know for sure.

Ray

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
The tractor starts and runs fine. I haven't had the tractor very long so I'm still going over everything to see what works what. This weekend I was checking the rear light bulbs and noticed the ones for the tail light were two filament bulbs which made me think it must be for the brake light (I have an older tractor that has brake lights so I figured this newer one must have them too). However, when I pressed the brake or set the parking brake the larger filament (brighter) did not come on. I looked beneath the brake pedal and there is a plunger type switch that is activated when you press the brake (I believe it is part number RD411-53470, limit switch). However, I didn't bypass it or check it out. I'll do that later.

This afternoon, I checked to see if the two filament bulbs are for the hazard lights as suggested above. They are not. The hazard lights flash the two round lights on the fenders as well as the two rear amber lights (same as turn signal). The dimmer filament of the two filament bulbs comes on when the lights are turned on so it is the tail light. But the larger filament does not come on. It makes me think it should be for a brake light. There are two wires (red and yellow) leading to this bulb.

Anyway, I've emailed Kubota to ask if that model had brake lights and if so, then I'll check to see if that limit switch could be faulty.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is actually 2 switches on the brake pedal, the plunger and another lever type switch, I don't know which one would control the brake lights.
And yes there is 2 different sets of lights on that model, I assumed they only had one set , assuming things gets me in trouble every time.

Here is the your find in red and my find in blue.

Attachments

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Thanks Wolfman for your time and help on this. It may seem trivial but I just like for everything to work as it is supposed to. I found the switch you circled (blue). It is a tiny little switch with a metal prong that is mounted above the lever used to set the parking brake. When you lift the lever to set the parking brake, it depresses the metal prong and closes the switch which turns on the parking brake indicator light on the dashboard. Of course when you release the parking brake, the lever drops and opens the switch turning off the light on the dashboard. (The parking brake indicator light on the dash board of my tractor wasn't coming on so I had to bend the metal prong so it would make contact with the switch. It works properly now. So FYI to anyone whose parking brake indicator light on the dashboard doesn't work, check this little switch. It may be the metal prong needs adjusting.)

I'm thinking the plunger type switch you circled in red is the one that should activate the brake lights. It is the only switch I can see that is activated when the brake pedal is pressed. I'll check to see if the switch is faulty. I assume I can just bypass the switch with a jumper wire. If I do that, the brake lights should come on. If not, then I'm still scratching my head.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent, and I don't think any of this is trivial!
If it's on the tractor it should work! ;)

I have an older model L, and I've made sure that everything works, I am always upgrading too. :)

How many wires are there going into the brake plunger switch?
If only 2 then logically power in and power out, I don't see a relay for the brake lights. You could also check for power with a simple meter or test light, might be that something beyond the switch like a disconnected wire is to blame. :cool:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I roaded my L3200 for the first time (if only to go a little bit down to the neighbors) last October and I could swear I checked to see if it had working brake lights and I think it did. They were independent of the flashers. Now, all that could be a load of alzheimers memories, so take it with a grain of salt, but I could swear it had working brake lights!

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Thanks Wolfman for your time and help on this. It may seem trivial but I just like for everything to work as it is supposed to. I found the switch you circled (blue). It is a tiny little switch with a metal prong that is mounted above the lever used to set the parking brake. When you lift the lever to set the parking brake, it depresses the metal prong and closes the switch which turns on the parking brake indicator light on the dashboard. Of course when you release the parking brake, the lever drops and opens the switch turning off the light on the dashboard. (The parking brake indicator light on the dash board of my tractor wasn't coming on so I had to bend the metal prong so it would make contact with the switch. It works properly now. So FYI to anyone whose parking brake indicator light on the dashboard doesn't work, check this little switch. It may be the metal prong needs adjusting.)

I'm thinking the plunger type switch you circled in red is the one that should activate the brake lights. It is the only switch I can see that is activated when the brake pedal is pressed. I'll check to see if the switch is faulty. I assume I can just bypass the switch with a jumper wire. If I do that, the brake lights should come on. If not, then I'm still scratching my head.
I highly doubt you'll find that switch your looking for. You will however find the harness for it. The other switch you found it the micro switch that activates the brake light in the instrument cluster for the park brake light and that's all it does.

As I said, I've seen the brake light switch harness but I've never seen a switch attached to it but all the Grand L's I've had and worked on were the same in that they were all HST models and I don't know about you but I've never used my brakes on a HST model other than parking so maybe that's the reason for no brake light switch.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I emailed Kubota and asked about the brake lights on my model tractor. This is their reply:

The configuration for the North American market does not include a brake lamp package. The lamp assemblies and the bulbs are the same as used in markets that require active brake lamps and differences would include items such as wiring harness and switching devices.

Thank you for being a Kubota customer.

Sincerely,
Kubota Service

So I guess that explains why the two filament bulbs are used. They use the same bulbs on all tractors. And I guess the plunger type switch (circled in red above) is also installed on all tractors regardless of use.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your time. Sorry for the rabbit chase.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I emailed Kubota and asked about the brake lights on my model tractor. This is their reply:

The configuration for the North American market does not include a brake lamp package. The lamp assemblies and the bulbs are the same as used in markets that require active brake lamps and differences would include items such as wiring harness and switching devices.

Thank you for being a Kubota customer.

Sincerely,
Kubota Service

So I guess that explains why the two filament bulbs are used. They use the same bulbs on all tractors. And I guess the plunger type switch (circled in red above) is also installed on all tractors regardless of use.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your time. Sorry for the rabbit chase.
Not so sure how acurate that info is. Mine has the brake light harness with the plug under the dash sitting by the hole where the switch is supposed to be but just no switch. I often pondered installing the switch but changed my mind due to the fact I never use the brake because of the HST.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I also emailed Kubota and asked what is the purpose of the switch circled in red above. It is part no. RD411-53470, limit switch. This is their response:

The purpose of that switch is to disengage or "release" the cruise control system when both brake pedals are depressed.

Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely,
Kubota Service

I was thinking that had to be my brake light switch. Wrong again. I guess if I'm on the road and begin to slow down or stop, I'll have to use hand signals. Remember those? I'll bet no one on the road today does. Again, sorry for the rabbit chase.