Fixing back blade

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Some people were wondering about fixing wallowed out holes on a back blade. Here's a perfect example. The holes were wallowed out so bad, that when it was in the straight position, it would rotate side to side around 30 to 35 degrees. Put it in the 22 degree slot and it would rotate almost 60 degrees. Made it interesting when grading. When I disassembled it, this is what I found.

Top side

Bottom side

The sleeves for the pins had rusted out and had welds break.

Sleeve

I dug around my father in laws shop and found a couple pieces of schedule 40 pipe with the right inside diameter to sleeve the holes for the shaft and angle pin.

Drove the pipe through the existing holes with a BFH :D

I drove the pipe through leaving 1/4" sticking out the other side to allow some room to weld around it. Filled in the the gaps, and ran three thick welds around the pipe. Then, ground it down some for clearance on the bottom side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Second part with a couple more picks.

After welding and filling both sides. I finished grinding it down to allow clearance, and enough room to allow the jam nuts to be tightened to the proper depth.

Here's the finished top side

And the bottom side

The bottom side had a big divot by the end plate, so I ran a bunch of beads down it for fill, them ground flat. Couldn't find the right size of flat stock to weld over it, so that will get addressed later. ;)

Here's the blade back together. It dropped the play down to 3 degrees of movement each way. I'll fix the wallowed out holes on the bottom plate later.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
:pretty work! Nice to take something that aint right - and make it so !:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
:pretty work! Nice to take something that aint right - and make it so !:)
I wasn't happy with some of the welds. Was using pop's chicago electric 110 welder with the flux core wire (Harbor Freight) :rolleyes: Only had four settings for the temp. Was a son of gun getting used to the flux core and dialing it in. Spent half the time cleaning the nozzel, and replacing tips. That's with using nozzel gel. It's worse with out. Had to let the nozzel cool after a couple welds for five minutes also. If it was gonna be quick, I could have taken it to work and used the miller 252 :rolleyes: But do to insurance, we're not allowed to do our own major projects at work :mad:

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Nice fix Daren. How about you coming over and adapting my scarifier to fit my B7000?:rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nice fix Daren. How about you coming over and adapting my scarifier to fit my B7000?:rolleyes:
No problem, if you pay for the tickets for me and my wife :D:D:D No way she would ley me out of the country unsupervised :rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Theres a lot of people that would have scrapped that. Thats where i come along and rebuild it. Borrowed my buddys blade, fixed all the cracks and then for some reason he needed it back. I never did get to finishing what i wanted to do with it. Guess i will build one this spring, handy for the driveway.

Patience and hard work, should last a while. Good work.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got it finished today with some rust inhibiting primer and some rustoleum Orange paint. Looks a lot better.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Excellent work! If'f you had some snowwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
One mans scrap pile is another mans gold mine:D
Actually had the blade, tractor, and bush hog given to me. Tractor was starting to get finicky and was having to go over and bandaid it back together. Pops got fed up and told me to take it home. Got about two days labor and 800$ tied into the tractor. Starts and runs great now. Got a slight wheel seal leak, but all it is, is slight oozing. So that will get addressed when it starts to really leak.

Back blade was about 2 hrs to fix. And 1 hour to paint. And the bush hog just needed a greasing and replaced the gear oil with a jug of lucas oil treatment to freshen up the seals. Plus it runs a lot cooler now. That will get pressure washed and painted to match the rest of the stuff another weekend :D