RPM for snowblower attachment

KAHUNA

Equipment
M4900
May 7, 2013
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Hi Guys, I have a woods three point, two stage, 74 inch snow blower...and a
M4800 Kabota five cylinder tractor.
My issue is the snow blower is clogging up at the chute with powder snow, any snow for that matter.
Is it safe for my tractor to run in low reverse at 2400 rpm (which I believe is where the rpm initiates the 540 pto )?????
I have not ran the tractor at 2400 rpm for fear of ruining my tractor.
I also have a 1400 ft driveway which will require the tractor to run down and up twice each, so down twice up twice.......5600 feet total distance of snow removal.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My issue is the snow blower is clogging up at the chute with powder snow, any snow for that matter.
Is it safe for my tractor to run in low reverse at 2400 rpm (which I believe is where the rpm initiates the 540 pto )?????
I also have a 1400 ft driveway which will require the tractor to run down and up twice each, so down twice up twice.......5600 feet total distance of snow removal.
You could put the throttle at full and not "ruin" it, they are meant to run at full RPM. ;)

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Kahuna, Wolfman is 100% right, Kubota's are designed to run at WOT all day long. The RPM's are set far below a point where you would damage your motor.

Now if you have a Kabota, Mahindra, or Kioti tractor....I wouldn't run them at full throttle because they do blow up!

Seriously though, the clogging is most likely because you're running below the rated RPM and snowblowers need to get to a minimum rpm before they "blow" the snow...below that it will just pack the chute like you indicate.

My rear mount Luck-now blower is direct drive to the impeller (1:1) and needs my B9200 at 2500rpm before it does a good job...at 2000 or less it will barely throw snow. I sometimes kick my PTO to the high range if I want to clear a real fluffy storm quickly and throw it far in the woods.

Another suggestion, clean and wax your chute, or spray it with PAM, Teflon or Silicone spray...that will help keep the chute slippery and not clogging. Have fun blowing! We just got 22" in my part of CT and I loved my blower!

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Manual on my bx25d says to "run at or near full throttle otherwise clogging may occur ." You will not harm the engine , they are designed to run at those rpm's , that's what they are made for .

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your tach has a mark at 540RPM. It's there to indicate where you should have the engine running to get the correct PTO speed for implements. When using implements requiring PTO you get less then favorable results when NOT using the 540 mark, including cutting grass, baling hay, etc.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You could put the throttle at full and not "ruin" it, they are meant to run at full RPM. ;)
I can understand why "some" people run their tractor at or above idle "sometimes" - for example, they are up against their house with a backhoe and are trying to be very careful with small movements of the bucket.....I get that...

but cutting grass, blowing snow, brush hogging, wood chipping, or anything else that requires "flow" and "torque" - run the engine in the range that it is designed to operate. Hell cars and trucks redline at 6000 , doesnt mean that you operate it at that rpm, BUT IT IS designed to spin that fast! And with a diesel - the torque is designnnned to be at that magic rpm - the pumps and all the other goodies are "calculated" at be at their best @ the RPM.

every wonder how in the hell 540 rpm is the magic pto rpm???? I have , who in their right mind said that 9 rev's per second is magical - buttttt someone back when did the "math" and damn near everything is calculated to spin that fast at the rear PTO - (true, others go faster - but all have a 540 setting)

so my point is - run the machine - orange, green, yellow, pink, I care not color.......@ the rpms that allow the engine and pump to work "its" best - and more importantly - the way the team of engineers designed the machine to work the most efficiently!:)

even these new tier 4 engines, you gotta run them up there just to "clean them up" and running them at low rpms is actually "bad"......mmmmmm......

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I would sand the chute if it is rusty then rub cross country ski wax in the chute. Using the ski wax for warmer temp wet snow and no snow will stick.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Why 540? I was curious too. Thank the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, apparently in 1927.
International Harvester first to offer on a production tractor.
If you think about it the implement manufacturers needed some sort of standard or nobody could have built universal implements for all tractors manufacturers.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Kahuna
One aspect of your initial post caught my eye. It seems like you don't like to work your diesel engine hard. Do a Goggle search on "diesel slobbering". It will reassure you that the best thing for a diesel is to be under as much load as possible frequently. If you don't do this, the piston rings will not maintain an effective seal within the cylinder and the engine will start pumping oil and crud out the exhaust and in the end loose power.

I let the snow blower on my M7040 drag the rpms down for a while before selecting a lower gear. The engine benefits from the high pressures in the cylinders.

I agree with the other posters that you cannot over rev your Kubota. Further, your snow blower will easily accept pto speeds produced by higher engine speeds. You do not need to try and keep the pto at 540 or lower!
Dave M7040

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Run it like you stole it :D

Just getting my post count up like TC,,,snicker

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
As others have already said, run it as fast as you dare. Clogging can come from a rusty chute, I lined mine with some white HDPE bed liner like the dump trucks use. Also don't run it all the way down, or it'll pick up wet snow and/or rocks, both ow which can cause or add to clogs...:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Run it like you stole it :D

Just getting my post count up like TC,,,snicker

Skeets.....you are sooooo bad !!!!:eek::D:).....
but you do get a PLUS 1 (on two fronts) ............like you need it ! :)
Hell - you de man - thats what I like about cha ! Someone that doesnt hide behind the screen!:)