bx25 front tire leaks

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Get in the habit of giving it a shot of air INTO the tire BEFORE sticking a pressure gauge on it. That goo will kill a gauge in a heartbeat. Also better to have valve stem at top of tire before shooting into followed by measuring pressure.

TonyMast

Equipment
BX25D BH FEL Mid Mower
Jun 16, 2014
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Waking up this thread with a question that my be obvious, but how does this green slime (which I ordered) know enough not to plug the the valve?

Thanks
Tony

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Waking up this thread with a question that my be obvious, but how does this green slime (which I ordered) know enough not to plug the the valve?

Thanks
Tony
First, the hole in the valve is too big to completely seal.

Second, the slime does not harden so when the tire is filled it will be blown out the fill valve and into the tire.

Slime is my absolute last choice for a tire repair, not that it is relevant what my choice is.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Thanks
Tony
I've actually seen valve stem valves plugged up with one stop leak or another, so it can happen. :rolleyes:

But agree with GWD, Slime should be your last choice! ;)

TonyMast

Equipment
BX25D BH FEL Mid Mower
Jun 16, 2014
Cortlandt Manor, NY
I have 3 very tiny leaks (tire will last days until I have to add air), in the side walls. Can you tell me why you guys say the last resort is Slime? I'm assuming it is my last choice, before I go to inner tube or new tire. Unless you guys have a better idea? Another question, which would you go for the inner tube or new tire?

Thanks for all the input
Tony

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have 3 very tiny leaks (tire will last days until I have to add air), in the side walls. Can you tell me why you guys say the last resort is Slime? I'm assuming it is my last choice, before I go to inner tube or new tire. Unless you guys have a better idea? Another question, which would you go for the inner tube or new tire?

Thanks for all the input
Tony
#1 It's a 50/50 shot on the tread surface holes, and even lower on side walls.
#2 I would just skip it and put tubes in it, Bet it's even cheaper than slime and it lasts!

But with holes in the side walls I'm betting you really just need to replace the tires. ;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll be honest, I love the slime. I have used it on lots of different kinds of tires and it works great. The tires on my tedder were all the time going flat and they are a real pain to air back up. Pumped slime in them and have not had any trouble since.

I poaked a stick about the size of my little finger in a front tire on my M9000. I needed the tractor running so I thought I would try the slime just as a shot in the dark. That's been 2 or 3 years ago and it's still holding up fine.

Personally, I keep a gallon on hand all the time.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I like Slime! We have a lot of Honey Locus trees here with big thorns and no way to keep air in the 4 wheeler tires without Slime. We tried tubes in the old tractor, but the thorns stay in the tire and continue to cause problems with tubes. Slime always fixed it. Not had any trouble with the newer L3800 yet.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Had same issue with same tire on my BX2360.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Wow, I'm not alone! Got the tractor new in July. Delivered with flat front tire. Figured it just hadn't seated on the bead, so aired it up. OK for a month or so then was a little low. Called dealer and he said to bring it in and he will reseat the bead. Got around to bringing it in and he just pulled one off another BX25 and said have a good day. So far, all is OK.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When i was in auto repair business, had lots of rim leak issues. Black rubber paint on bead sealer was the norm. That stuff is garbage. Lasts a few months.
Heavy truck tire shops use this grease like substance called Rim Rust. I have a tub of it, works awesome. Slime for me is great in tires prone to frequent puncture, but i will tube or replace a failing tire with bad sidewalls.

TonyMast

Equipment
BX25D BH FEL Mid Mower
Jun 16, 2014
Cortlandt Manor, NY
3 slits in side wall. I put liquid nails in. pushed it in with finger, did it again dried did it again dried. Sprayed with Permatex sealant leak repair let dry. repeat 3 more times.
Just moved about 10 yards of dirt with FEL (about an hour). Moved some logs in FEL. Checked pressure an didn't lose 1 psi!!!
Start the yelling!!! :)

Tony

Going to buy new rim and tire for spare, front and back.
Thanks all
Tony

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
When I worked underground they filled all the rubber tired hauling equipment with foam. Yeah they are heavy and no leaks and they are a beatch to change. and ya might as well figure on replacing both tire and rim when you need to cause the rim is toast cause you cant get the foam out or the old tire off