L2050 72" Belly Mower? Does it exist?

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
So I don't miss so much grass around the house and I like the looks of the tractor better with a belly mower over a finish mower, (that last reason might be a little dumb:rolleyes:).

I'm not convinced I want a belly mower. I've heard a 72" belly mower will scalp where the same size finish mower won't. Also, is it true the finish mower will give a nicer cut?

I'm actually looking into a 72" LandPride...

Suggestion, opinions and facts welcomed.

Thank you,
-Jason

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If all you plan on doing with your tractor is just mow then yeah a mid mower is fine. But if you have other chores in mind then a finish mower is a helluva lot faster to disconect and put other toys on in its place. You'll probably save a few bucks by getting a finishing mower over trying to locate the mid mower. If you do so choose to go with a finish mower defenalty get a rear discharge and let the clippings blow out the back.

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
Well, I hope the rear discharge isn't a "big deal" because the 72" finish mower I've agreed to purchase is side discharge. :confused: If I don't like it, I'll keep looking...

I appreciate the input.

-Jason

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Side discharge will be a nightmare to use unless you stay ontop of your mowing and keep it short. It bogs down alot in tall thick grass and leave clumps behind much like a riding lawn mower does. I have a 4ft Landpride side discharge that came with my tractor when I bought it and I dont like it at all. Some times I have to cut aeras twice if its too tall just to keep from burning belts up and having the tractor bog down and stall out. I've even dropped down to 1st gear and crept the tractor along and its still not pretty.

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
Well that's what I get for a lack of research.
I don't intend on using it like a bush-hog; I mow every week or two.
I'll see how it does and if I don't like it, I'll sell it and get a rear discharge.

Thanks again.
-Jason

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You might be fine with a side discharge if you stay ontop of mowing and dont let the grass get real tall.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Maybe another question is, if you want to collect the cutted gras or just leave it as a vertilizer.
Secound option mean you have to mow real often.
First option is not so easy if the discharge is at the side. There are turbin- solutions and that cost some extra.
I mulched may lawn with a rotary mulch device, but I could not do it every week or even more often. So I bought an extra lawn-tractor with rear discharge, that works for me and the lawn is only ~5000m² (1.24 acre).

der carl