Bucket Skids for B2620

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
We have 2 large gravel drives that I have to clear snow on so I decided to make some clamp on bucket skids to help keep from digging into the gravel.

I've been keeping the bucket tilted back just a touch and then putting it in float to leave behind the gravel and get most of the snow. If I tilt forward a tad to much I start scrapping the gravel up, If I tilt back too much I'm just packing the snow down. Plus there are several uneven spots so I end up catching here and there. I've thought about using the pipe trick but thought I'd give the skids a shot and I thought I'd share some pictures.

I started with some 1.5" x 1/4" steel and cut 3 pieces 8" long, these will be the clamp part of the skids.

Then I got the torch out and bent them so that they will loosely fit over the leading edge of the bucket. I made the bottom leg about 1/2' longer than the wear strip on the leading edge of the bucket.

Then I cut some 2" x 3/8" steel to 8" long for the skids.

And then welded the 1.5" pieces to the 2" pieces.

Then back to the torch to bend the leading and trailing edges of the skids.

Then I cut some 1" x 1/4" steel with the angle of the leading edge of the skid on them. These will stiffen the clamp part of the skids so they don't bend when you tighten the clamp bolts.

And then a little more welding.

Then I drilled and tapped the holes for the clamp bolts and ground the leading and trailing edges.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
I then pulled up the tractor and gave them a test fit. They slip over the leading edge of the bucket nicely and clamp on with the bolt.

And finally a little primer and paint. I'll let them dry over night, and I should be able to test them out in the morning, were supposed to get 4-8" of snow over night.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
We have 2 large gravel drives that I have to clear snow on so I decided to make some clamp on bucket skids to help keep from digging into the gravel... thought I'd give the skids a shot and I thought I'd share some pictures.

welded the 1.5" pieces to the 2" pieces.

And then a little more welding...
Oh, my! What beautiful welds! I'm guessing you've got a nice MIG rig -- if you're stick-welding, I'm going to be raising knots on my forehead bowing to your skill.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Nice work - after building - have you tested them? What are the results? Does the gravel still ride up into the bucket a bit or has this allowed the gravel to stay on the drive? I have a very short gravel drive - hate to touch it with the bucket! Find gravel in the yard in the spring/summer!

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Oh, my! What beautiful welds! I'm guessing you've got a nice MIG rig -- if you're stick-welding, I'm going to be raising knots on my forehead bowing to your skill.

Thanks ShaunBlake, yeah I got a MIG welder, nothing special, just a cheap 220v 180amp Clarke MIG, but it works pretty good. If I need to do any real heavy welding we have a couple Millers and an ESAB at work. I work in industrial Maintenance so I get plenty of practice MIGing, hardly stick weld anymore unless I need to tack a couple piece of stainless sheet metal together inside an oven or something like that.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Nice work - after building - have you tested them? What are the results? Does the gravel still ride up into the bucket a bit or has this allowed the gravel to stay on the drive? I have a very short gravel drive - hate to touch it with the bucket! Find gravel in the yard in the spring/summer!

Thanks, we got about 3" last night and also had some drifting so I got to test them out today. They worked great and I picked up very little if any gravel. I think having 3 skids really helps since our drive is really uneven, and I don't end up scraping the center of the bucket on high spots. With my rear blade and 2 gauge wheels I have to set the blade about 1" above the ground to keep from digging up much gravel. With the skids I'm only about 5/8" off the ground, leaving less snow behind.

Check out the video of Edge Tamers at:
http://r2manufacturing.com/edge-tamer-2

Camera Man

Equipment
Kubota L5460, Kubota L2296Bucket,lde SGC1060 GRAPPLE, Landpride PFL2042 Forks,
Jun 27, 2020
Idaho
Thanks for posting your design I have been looking at "Edge Tamers" but my brother is a pretty good welder and we have lots of scrap metal from projects. I look forward to trying these. On larger buckets they say 4-6 in wide plate and up to I think 6 skids on the biggest buckets.