rear tire repair

mtaylor

Equipment
L210
Jun 15, 2009
nacogdoches,tx usa
My L210 and I seem to go from one problem to another. Earlier in the summer I fixed a hydraulic leak by replacing the O-ring in the lift cylinder. Hooray and a big thanks to Vic and others. Mowed with it one time and then let a neighbor borrow it to mow a 'pasture'. Wound up being a junk yard with weeds growing in it.:mad: It's not a big hole but the plug I tried didn't work. So now I wondering if the tire can be patched on the outside? Hole is not between the lugs but in the sidewall. Thanks for any advice!!

Mike

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Try a second plug beside the first one --- you're using plugs that come with glue to be applied to the plug?? If not, you may want to try that style.

If that doesn't work, I think you'll be stuck with an internal patch. Don't think you can patch on the outside.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi.
Does the l210 have tubeless tires? I would have thought that vintage of machine would have had tubes.
Ed:confused:

mtaylor

Equipment
L210
Jun 15, 2009
nacogdoches,tx usa
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about it having a tube. I like the urethane idea and if it ever stops raining long enough thats my next attempt. One of the things I am looking at if the tire has to come off is the tire weight removal. They came on the tractor when I bought it 20 odd years ago. Do I need these weights? Previous owner said they weigh about 150 to 200 lds each.

Mike

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Not that it really makes a hill of beans difference, but if there's a tube in the tire, just how did you manage to insert a plug??????

mtaylor

Equipment
L210
Jun 15, 2009
nacogdoches,tx usa
Hi Bruce. I did it the same way I always do. Used the reamer to open the hole and then pushed the plug in all the way pulled it back halfway and cut it off. I'm hoping now that I haven't ruined the tube by trying to plug it. I'm going to try Vic's idea this weekend. As usual I've made something simple into a challenge.:) I am wondering with a tube will the tire be sealed against the rim? If the tire and rim don't seal then I'm definitely going to have to deal with the tire weights, disnounting the tire and taking it to town.

Thanks
Mike

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about it having a tube. I like the urethane idea and if it ever stops raining long enough thats my next attempt. One of the things I am looking at if the tire has to come off is the tire weight removal. They came on the tractor when I bought it 20 odd years ago. Do I need these weights? Previous owner said they weigh about 150 to 200 lds each.

Mike
I had an L245DT that I had to put a new tube in. I jacked up the rear wheel using a six ton jack on 2' pieces of railroad ties. Using a tire iron with a spoon shaped end I kept driving it between the bead and the rim while rotating the wheel. Take the valve stem nut loose before you take the bead off the side where the valve stem is. Start where the valve stem is. Small tires like these aren't hard to break loose. Your tube might still be able to be patched. Mine was $28 at my Farmer's Co-Op. I would put a patch in the tire. They have them that are re-inforced just for that purpose. I use a wire wheel on a drill to rough up the surface in a tire to put a patch.

When putting the tube back in, have the valve stem at the top when you put the nut back on it. When putting the outside bead back on keep the valve stem at the top ending with the last part going back on at the top. This way you won't hurt the tube at the valve stem. I also use waterless hand cleaner to make the bead come off easier and back on easier. I keep a can of it next to my tire changer.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Vic,

Will the urethane idea work on a gash in a tubeless tire?

Gashed a front tire on my L245DT last night on an old metal fench post...

Thanks

Lucky

Equipment
B7100dt and b6001
Feb 17, 2009
Northwoods, WI
Tried the urethane on some cracks in my rear tires and it worked fairly well. Not perfect, but better than anything else. We'll see how it holds up. Cost was $20 for a tube.