L175 Issue

jhall30

Mar 26, 2012
NC
i am having a problem with my charging system.....the light stays on and i have checked everything i know except the regulator....so my question is how do i go about doing that?.....i did notice several months agao if i left the key on for awhile before i started it there would be a little smoke coming out of the alt?....not sure what my problem is but all help is much appriciated
thank you!!!!

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Sounds like a short if there is smoke coming from the alt.

Does it run with the battery disconnected?

I'm not sure how to test a regulator, but before replacing parts I would have the alt checked at the local auto parts store and carefully look for a grounded positive wire (shorted).

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Does it run with the battery disconnected?

I would have the alt checked
Does what "run" with the batt disconnected? tractor? with a mechanical diesel such as our older little diesels no elect is required for operation. after started, all they need is fuel and air. Since they are a compression fire design they require no "spark" because they provide their own heat.

Do have the Alt checked. As its a simple beginning troubleshoot.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
While the ignition is "on" your alternator is in the charging mode. You have a rotating coil - the rotor, within a stationary coil - the stator. As the rotating coil rotates its magnetic field crosses the poles of the stator, generating alternating current in the stator. Diodes in the alternator convert it to direct current to run the electrics and charge the battery. While the alternator is doing this the magnetic field of the stator collapsing opposes the field of the rotor. Thus, the effective electric current in the rotor varies with the rpm and stator load. If memory serves me, you usually have about 4VDC coming from the voltage regulator to the rotor coil.
If you leave the key on, but the tractor not running, the rotor coil may not have a proper magnetic field, and it will just sit there and cook. Thus, you can get smoke. Eventually you may burn it up.
On a normal car engine, my dad always said you shouldn't leave the ignition "on" because if the points were closed the high voltage coil for the spark plug would burn up. Same general idea.

Last edited:

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Not real sure, but I believe the voltage regulator is internal on the alternator. At least it was on the Datsun pickup I had, which also had a Nippon-Denso alternator. I also used one from a early 80's Datsun whe I converted my WD to 12 volts.

I would take it off and get it checked at a parts store. If you run into a real live wire that says they can't check tractor alternators, tell him it came off a 1982 Datsun.

One other thing to check first; the two wire plug at the rear, make sure it is getting good contact with the spade terminals. Mine was loose last month and caused the charge light to flicker at low RPMs.

Robert