Disconnecting from land pride quick hitch

tom.pynaker

Jul 20, 2017
Green Bay, WI
Having problems getting box scraper disconnected from my BX tractor using this quick hitch. I released the two side brackets but 3 point won't drop far enough to release. I am a newly and this is my first try. Thanks for any advice.. Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
FWIW. I also had some trouble with disconnecting some implements, then I got a top hitch adapter instead of the hook. Seems the hook on some implements didn't line up to the top pin & this adapter will swivel some to align the top hole better. Also there two versions of adapters, one has a longer tongue & mounting hole. I bought the longer one & drilled a hole to match the shorter one. Gives more versatility when connecting oddball older implements that were built before quick hitches became popular.

http://www.agrisupply.com/top-hitch-adapter-bracket/p/61369/

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tom - don't have a quick hitch, but your 3PT drops solely by gravity.

Once it drops, can you push down on the QH, while also pushing control lever, to get it to release?

May also need to drop the boxblade onto a pallet or something similar to get some height.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
RCW good call, I totally missed that part. Should add that I drop my implements on a couple pieces of 4x4 or chunks of old fence posts to gain some height & also keeps them up & off the ground when stored.

tom.pynaker

Jul 20, 2017
Green Bay, WI
Thanks guys, I tried to move the box blade and it was just enough. I will definitely look to land it on something in the future. Learned something new today, thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Tom,

was gonna tell you that on my wood chipper & blades i have them on a homemade pallet (which also makes them easy to move around the garage with the forks or pallet jack)..

the hog drops right off anyway.... but it did take the higher sitting point to get it to drop the other 2 off, then i just set the brake hop off, unhook the shaft/gaurd chain.

absolutely love the quick hitch & once i stopped wasting movements getting on/off.... huge timesaver!

s

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The effect of choosing the height of what you set the implement on is also to change the angle of the quick hitch. On mine the hooks hang up going on and taking off unless the top link is adjusted so the hitch is essentially vertical in the height region where you want it to come off (or go on).

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Having the top link adjusted so an implement is level front to back does make it easier to drop the implement off of a quick hitch. When just the front or rear of an implement is on the ground there is enough of a bind in the quick hitch hooks to keep the 3 point hitch from lowering. On larger tractors this is less of a problem because you can set the 3 point control to lower, get off the tractor, and bump, kick, or nudge the implement to release the binding and the 3 point hitch lowers.
On a BX tractor the 3 point hitch control returns to the neutral position, so if you are bumping, kicking, or nudging the implement the 3 point hitch stays in position. Sometimes you can hold the 3 point lever and reach the implement at the same time, but it is not always easy or enough. I filled the 3 point lever slot in the fender, with foam rubber to help seal up my cab. As a side benefit the 3 point lever wedges in the foam in the down position and stays there until I raise it. This makes it easier to get off the tractor wiggle an implement and have the 3 point with quick hitch lower.
One other thing worth mentioning is the Land Pride QH-05 made for BX tractors is half the weight of most other quick hitches, so less weight to pull the 3 point down when disconnecting and implement. I am just noting the weight and not suggesting you buy a heavier quick hitch. If you have to take the quick hitch off occasionally its easier to lift off a 35# quick hitch than a 70# quick hitch.

tom.pynaker

Jul 20, 2017
Green Bay, WI
Having the top link adjusted so an implement is level front to back does make it easier to drop the implement off of a quick hitch. When just the front or rear of an implement is on the ground there is enough of a bind in the quick hitch hooks to keep the 3 point hitch from lowering. On larger tractors this is less of a problem because you can set the 3 point control to lower, get off the tractor, and bump, kick, or nudge the implement to release the binding and the 3 point hitch lowers.
On a BX tractor the 3 point hitch control returns to the neutral position, so if you are bumping, kicking, or nudging the implement the 3 point hitch stays in position. Sometimes you can hold the 3 point lever and reach the implement at the same time, but it is not always easy or enough. I filled the 3 point lever slot in the fender, with foam rubber to help seal up my cab. As a side benefit the 3 point lever wedges in the foam in the down position and stays there until I raise it. This makes it easier to get off the tractor wiggle an implement and have the 3 point with quick hitch lower.
One other thing worth mentioning is the Land Pride QH-05 made for BX tractors is half the weight of most other quick hitches, so less weight to pull the 3 point down when disconnecting and implement. I am just noting the weight and not suggesting you buy a heavier quick hitch. If you have to take the quick hitch off occasionally its easier to lift off a 35# quick hitch than a 70# quick hitch.
Again, thank you! All good info for this rookie...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk