Standard L Series Decision The L2501, 3301, 3901

ChrisInMiss

Nov 18, 2017
Madison, MS
Hey guys, I've been doing much research and I know there are a ton of threads posted about this here in OTT prior to mine, but I am looking at making a buying decision in the next few days and I am trying to decide on which Standard L to buy. My uncle and I joint own over 2 hundred acres of land, but maybe 35% of it is open and the rest is wooded. I need to "reclaim" some of this open area due to the property not being brush hogged for the past 2 years. I also want to open some more of it up as time goes by. One of the worst parts has thick grass that is 4-5 feet high and the area is wet (beavers had it dammed several years ago). the rest just needs to be maintained and brought back under control. The land consist of ridges and bottoms. Most maintaining will need to be done in the lower bottoms. The high flat areas are in good shape, but I will be having to climb pretty steep hills to go to and from the bottoms.

I recently went to a local Kubota dealer and he said he didn't think I would go wrong with any of the Standard L's from 25-37.5HP. HE did tell me that the L2501 may take longer to accomplish tasks such as hogging the high thick grass, but it can be done with the machine. The DPF nonsense really doesn't bother me. I believe Kubota has it figured out, plus warranty should take care of any issues as far as defects. I may use this tractor to do work for others, so that also factors in to an extent. I know the 2501 should be able to get the job done, just slower. The L3301 should be able to handle the 5 foot attachments with more ease than the L2501 and the L3901 should be able to handle them easily and maybe larger attachments. I like the L because is a small tractor and it is light, which will be a good thing in the wet areas I maintain. MY question is which one.

This is important to me because this could be the only tractor purchase I ever make and I would like to get it right the first go round. my uncle currently has a Massey 240s and it does ok, but it doesn't have the 4wd option and she has taken a beating from some of my relatives in the last 20 years. Plus it has a bigger frame than the Sub 40hp L series. He has been slipping the past for years because he is an avid cyclist and rides in any of his free time

How is Kubota on dealing with warranty issues? and what are your all's thoughts on on that line up overall? Are these tractors good in muddy conditions? I'm sure I'll think of more questions as they come to mind

Thanks in advance for your help,
Chris

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Chris. Glad that you joined and you have come to the right place as we love to spend other peoples money.

You won't go wrong with any of these and your dealer is correct about the smaller machines taking a longer time to get the job done. I would recommend at a minimum the L3301 but would suggest the L3901 for that many acres. Also as you clear more land, the bigger machine will really be a big help. Make sure to get the tires filled to give better traction.

As for warranty work, a good dealer can really be a big asset in turn around time.

Keep us posted as time goes by and post some pictures also.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Just throwing in my $.02 here. I'm a big fan of the L2501 in general, it's really impressed me with the workloads it's able to handle with it's lower hp. That being said, for what you're describing and since you mention you intend to make this purchase and not trade up in the future, you'd probably be happier with the L3901.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
L3901 all the way. HP gets the job done quicker. If you truly are going to be working in mud, best get R1 AG tires.

Without actually knowing what all you need to be doing, get every option that there is for that model of tractor. While yes options cost money, it is typically less money with original tractor purchase and options typically make life easier.

You can get different attachments as you need them, but it is best to have the tractor outfitted to make use of the different attachments to start with.

Good luck.;)

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I vote for the 3901 and if you are using in the mud get ag tires. I have the industrial tires and they are not good in the mud.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Personally, I think the L3901 is too small and you'll be buying up later on. And this is coming from a guy that likes to get away with the smallest tractor size possible.

For that amount of cutting - Cab would be high on my list.
I agree, I would start looking at an M7060 at the minimum and probably an M5-091, but that was not what the OP was asking about, so the L3901 it is. ;)

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Welcome to OTT. Of the ones you listed, I would go with the L3901 with Ag tires. But, you should also take a look at the MX5200.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
A

I started out looking at the L series, 2501 etc, settled on an L4701 and the dealer said an MX4800 is only $800 bucks more and a whole lot more tractor. Got the MX4800 and could not be happier. I thought it would be a good tractor but I was wrong, it is a GREAT tractor.

M

ChrisInMiss

Nov 18, 2017
Madison, MS
Thanks for the input guys. I'm more of a weekend warrior when it comes to working on our property, I stay about 45 minutes away. I'll probably stick with one of the L's. My uncle still has the Massey and it works fine, she just looks like shes been in a few wars. I would love a cabbed tractor, but its out of my budget range. I would like the L4701, but its a tad larger than the smaller L's. I'm wanting the smaller version because of the weight in muddy areas and the ability to get between trees and what not.

I live in Mississippi and out winters are pretty mild and in the summer it gets hot, but working on the tractor is not that bad.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
No tractor really does well in mud. Also, once you rut up an area, it will stay wet and muddy. Some areas might be better left alone.

The L3901 HST with AG tires (I would check about getting 8 to 10 ply tires... vs. standard 6 ply). If you don't have many trees to maneuver around, get a 6 foot mower... Since you are only working weekends, get as much done as possible!
Which is the whole reason to have a larger more capable tractor. But sometimes bigger just is not in the cards. I know this from personally experience. ;)

ChrisInMiss

Nov 18, 2017
Madison, MS
No tractor really does well in mud. Also, once you rut up an area, it will stay wet and muddy. Some areas might be better left alone.

The L3901 HST with AG tires (I would check about getting 8 to 10 ply tires... vs. standard 6 ply). If you don't have many trees to maneuver around, get a 6 foot mower... Since you are only working weekends, get as much done as possible!
I understand. Part of the reason it’s muddy is that the grass is high and it doesn’t get a chance to dry out due to that. Once cut it should dry better. At least that was the case in the past. Beavers can kill property really fast. I’m glad we got rid of them.

ChrisInMiss

Nov 18, 2017
Madison, MS
Well after going back to the dealer and checking out the L4701 and the MX4800, it really has me thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Comparing them all together makes the decision hard. They all look great and are tough.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Well after going back to the dealer and checking out the L4701 and the MX4800, it really has me thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Comparing them all together makes the decision hard. They all look great and are tough.
While any of these tractors will most likely do what it is that you want to do, the larger ones will do just about any of it quicker and easier.

Being a weekender myself, I need to get things done as quickly as possible and that just does not happen with a smaller lighter weight less HP machine.

If you are retired and time is no big deal, then maybe the smaller machines would be the way to go. But by the sounds of it, bigger would be better.

I have a 75hp utility tractor and wish that I would have been able to get a 100HP machine when I was buying, but I simply could not afford one at the time, so I have what I have. It works well for most things, but there are certain tasks where I sure wish that I had another 25HP.

I would be all over the L4701 or the MX4800 vs the smaller L models. Much more machine for the additional money.

We all have to make certain decisions, all which have consequences.

Good luck with yours. ;)

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
Good luck with your decision. I bought the L3901 HST with ag tires and got them filled with “beet juice”. I have been in deep snow and muddy sloping drive and it has done everything I have asked. The neighbor had one of those little green tractors and they needed me to work the drive because their tractor couldn’t. I have brush mower, carry all, pallet forks/bale spear and three point sprayer I use with mine.

Absolutely love it. I am sure I would have loved an M class as well. I just like tractors. :D

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
I'd go with the L4701 (and did) for the small price difference. With a couple hundred acres you'll be glad you did. It isn't that much bigger than it's smaller brothers. Love mine for mowing and planting.

ChrisInMiss

Nov 18, 2017
Madison, MS
I'd go with the L4701 (and did) for the small price difference. With a couple hundred acres you'll be glad you did. It isn't that much bigger than it's smaller brothers. Love mine for mowing and planting.
I'd like to, but I want my payment in a certain area. I was quoted 19825 for the L2501 with a rotary cutter, disk and box blade add 3300 for a 3301 and add another 1500 for a 3901. For a L4701 i was quoted at 27,400 and it came with a 5 ft disc and cutter. The same package for the MX4800 was 29800. All these prices include a loader but no trailer, that would be an additional 1750 for a Lamar 18ft and 2500 for a Texas Bragg 20ft.

Id like the bigger, but I may stick with one of the smaller L's.

ChrisInMiss

Nov 18, 2017
Madison, MS
:
Good luck with your decision. I bought the L3901 HST with ag tires and got them filled with ***8220;beet juice***8221;. I have been in deep snow and muddy sloping drive and it has done everything I have asked. The neighbor had one of those little green tractors and they needed me to work the drive because their tractor couldn***8217;t. I have brush mower, carry all, pallet forks/bale spear and three point sprayer I use with mine.

Absolutely love it. I am sure I would have loved an M class as well. I just like tractors. :D
:D thats funny, but very believable.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Chris, everyone likes new and shinny but it comes with a cost. I would consider the larger tractor and pick up some used implements as you need them.

You most likely won't need all the implements at the same time, and you can find used implements at vary reasonable prices. The tractor is the major purchase and needs to match your usage now and for some time in the future to make it a good decision.

I'd suggest one of the bigger tractors suggested with loader and add to it later if cost constraints keep you away from it.

bliebold

Equipment
L2501
Aug 7, 2017
Pipe Creek TX
I am sending my 2501 back and getting a mx4800. Its personally to light and under powered for knocking over cedar trees and moving heavy loads efficiently\safely. The PTO on a 5ft 1in shredder is underwhelming as well when cutting. The loader lift capacity is a bit meh as well since it struggles with the trees.

My dealer talked me up from a bx series to the l2501 and it works but if time is of the essence get as big and heavy as possible. I got a fair swap and am awaiting delivery this week...

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
with that many acres and doing reclamation, I'd want the biggest L I could afford, grand L if you must stay L, otherwise MX5800 would be my workhorse if budget is of any concern. you could pull an 8 foot hog easily with the L6060 or the MX5800 with head room on both. the 6060 will give you about 3 more pto hp and smaller footprint but about 7 grand more for the L 6060 (*lots of nice things come with that extra though, the HST on the grand L is very very nice over standard HST with the autothrottle and on the fly high low in each main gear selection, I find I use this function regularly on my current 4060. my 4060 with a 6 foot cutter on it can have trouble in thick good fields that are about hood high in medium low I can't move too fast or it bogs good. so for reclaiming work, I would definitely want high hp. also, it helps to be able to have a bit of bite to the sides of the tires of the tractor, so the 8 foot would give you about a foot on either side, you could go to a 10 which would give you 2 foot to each side, but it would definitely be the max load I would want to run on a 6060 or a MX5800. that is a good bit of acreage to be handling, I feel like you would be on a smaller L much much longer than you would want to be just to maintain. if you want some good comforts and getting the job done quicker, go 6060 with a cab, plenty of power, a transmission that will work more and be more productive when in the thick, etc.