Location of M4500 Block Heater

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Our M4500 has a rad hose heater on it and it's shot. I prefer a block heater to hose heaters but at first glance I don't see where it is to be installed. I have installed them in other tractors but I don't see a location for the S2600-A engine. However Kubota offers them for this model. They are 3/4" NPT and some engines use a 3/4" to 1" NPT bushing to adapt them.

Do any of you guys know where they are installed?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It doesn't look like your going to have the ability to use a standard block heater on that model as there is no freeze plug locations on the block, or threaded ports. :(

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Freeze plugs on both sides of block on my M4500 but they're too small (1 inch +/-) for any heater's I've ever seen. There is a threaded port to the coolant passage on the right side of the block at the bottom front side of the injector pump casting area (faces straight out to the side). From there you'd need a "T" fitting to install in the upper radiator hose that would accept your block heater hose.
With a good battery and glow plugs why worry about a block heater? My M4500 has never failed to start (North Central Ohio) and I've gone out and started it at
-20 F just to see if it would go. If you need glow plugs they're an off the shelf item at NAPA for a fraction of what they are at a Dealer. Easy to change EXCEPT for the front one which is behind the injector lines.

Oh... you're in Montana, I suppose you regularly see colder than -20 out there!

Last edited:

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
Freeze plugs on both sides of block on my M4500 but they're too small (1 inch +/-) for any heater's I've ever seen. There is a threaded port to the coolant passage on the right side of the block at the bottom front side of the injector pump casting area (faces straight out to the side). From there you'd need a "T" fitting to install in the upper radiator hose that would accept your block heater hose.
With a good battery and glow plugs why worry about a block heater? My M4500 has never failed to start (North Central Ohio) and I've gone out and started it at
-20 F just to see if it would go. If you need glow plugs they're an off the shelf item at NAPA for a fraction of what they are at a Dealer. Easy to change EXCEPT for the front one which is behind the injector lines.

Oh... you're in Montana, I suppose you regularly see colder than -20 out there!

Messick's lists one, PN 70000-17550 and it's a 3/4" NPT unit that threads into somewhere. There is no hose for it. It's just a 400 W resistance heater similar to what a core plug installation unit uses. I think your description of the location maybe where it installs so thanks for the info.

It took three times to start it at 20°F a few weeks ago and it clattered like a runaway horse on cobblestones for a while. Here in Western Montana we have a lot of weather below 20°F (>-20°F occasionally) and for long periods of time. I use block heaters on all our tractors because it makes for easy starting. It's just flat better for engine life.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
It doesn't look like your going to have the ability to use a standard block heater on that model as there is no freeze plug locations on the block, or threaded ports. :(
Kubota offers one for the M4500 that goes into a 3/4" NPT hole (PN 70000-17550)not a core plug hole. But I don't know where that *$#&% hole is located. The poster below says there is one on the right hand side below the IP so I'll look.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
I was looking at the M4500 WSM today and it appears to me that there are some core plugs aft of the IP on the right side of the block They are kind of high up on the block so I'll have to remove the side shield to see. I really don't see anything in these pictures below the IP. I'll go out and look at the tractor tomorrow if I get chance and report back on what I found. I'm also going to town on Monday so I'll stop at the Kubota dealer in Missoula to see what they can tell me.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I've got a WSM. There is no mention and no picture of the threaded port on my S2600 engine in the manual, but it's there just the same. If I get a chance later today I'll take a picture.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
The port is hidden a little by the oil filter. I have a bypass hose attached to mine that used to supply the cab heat.

Attachments

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Maybe if you could find a heater that size but I've never seen one for core plugs that small. The petcock is threaded, if Kubota sells a threaded heater for the M4500 it's likely the same thread just take the petcock out and replace with the heater. Little bit of Teflon tape and you should be good to go. $49 at the link below.
https://www.stevenstractor.com/medi...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/t/cts52667.jpg

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
Maybe if you could find a heater that size but I've never seen one for core plugs that small. The petcock is threaded, if Kubota sells a threaded heater for the M4500 it's likely the same thread just take the petcock out and replace with the heater. Little bit of Teflon tape and you should be good to go. $49 at the link below.
https://www.stevenstractor.com/medi...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/t/cts52667.jpg
I got back from the Kubota dealer with a part number 70000-00297 block heater kit. The instructions say it goes on the left side of the engine in the core plug. It contains a taper fit bushing with a female thread on one end (part number 70090-33386) that is driven into the core plug hole. The block heater (part number 70000-74128) screws into that. the electrical cord (part number 70090-33385)plugs into that.
Incidentally the core plugs are 32mm or 1-1/4 inches in so they aren't that small..

Last edited:

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
The adapter is a pretty nifty way to go at the problem. Do they recommend any sealant when you drive it in?
They still look like pretty small frost plugs to me. 'Course I'm used to looking at stuff more in line with a small block chevy or DT series IH. Those are considerably bigger than 1.25 and it still seems a chore sometimes to get the "bent" element style heaters in and out.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
The adapter is a pretty nifty way to go at the problem. Do they recommend any sealant when you drive it in?
They still look like pretty small frost plugs to me. 'Course I'm used to looking at stuff more in line with a small block chevy or DT series IH. Those are considerably bigger than 1.25 and it still seems a chore sometimes to get the "bent" element style heaters in and out.
Yeah the instructions recommend Loctite sealer. The parts guy at the dealer said to put the element in the bushing finger tight and use the socket and extension to drive it into place. He said it's a taper fit and would not go in all the way to the boss. the use Teflon tape on the element and tighten it down. the element is not "bent and does not go beyond the end of the bushing.
The kit is shown below.

Attachments

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Yeah the instructions recommend Loctite sealer. The parts guy at the dealer said to put the element in the bushing finger tight and use the socket and extension to drive it into place. He said it's a taper fit and would not go in all the way to the boss. the use Teflon tape on the element and tighten it down. the element is not "bent and does not go beyond the end of the bushing.
The kit is shown below.
That is the same kit I used on my L4060 recently. I used the red high temp LockTite on the bushing, and teflon tape for the element. Probably not necessary, but I let the LockTite set for 24h before refilling the coolant. I've done several freeze plug block heaters, and only the L4060 freeze plug gave me problems removing. Ended up punching several holes in it before I was able to pry it out.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
That is the same kit I used on my L4060 recently. I used the red high temp LockTite on the bushing, and teflon tape for the element. Probably not necessary, but I let the LockTite set for 24h before refilling the coolant. I've done several freeze plug block heaters, and only the L4060 freeze plug gave me problems removing. Ended up punching several holes in it before I was able to pry it out.
Actually the instructions recommend Loctite but not which color.
Normally the core plugs can be turned at a right angle to the centerline of the hole with just a hit on the edge from a punch and then removed with a pair of pliers. Maybe Kubota uses red Loctite on them!