Cheap-er Rear Ballast

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
So one of the few complaints I have with my M4500 is that it is light in the rear-end. This is only a problem when plowing (3-14 mounted) or pulling a 10 foot JD no-till drill. But at those times it's mighty inconvenient. I refuse to load tires, Kubota wheel weights for that vintage are rare as hens teeth and the cost of new weights is well, you know....
Last week though I came across a guy locally selling 3 sets of Massey Harris rear wheel weights for $100 a pair. That's cheaper than you can usually find JD or IH stuff.
If you are looking for weights for the 28 inch steel rear wheels these work pretty nice. Just turn them inside-out from the way they were mounted on the old Massey Harris tractors. They weigh right at 140 a piece so I ended up with 840 lbs of rear weight for $300 and don't have to screw with loaded tires.
DSCN3543.jpg

DSCN3542.jpg

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
...came across... Massey Harris rear wheel weights .....
If you are looking for weights for the 28 inch steel rear wheels these work pretty nice. Just turn them inside-out from the way they were mounted on the old Massey Harris tractors. They weigh right at 140 a piece ...
Can you offer more input on how you attached these to your rims?

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
My rims have the typical 4 hole set-up for weight attachment. +/- 16 inch centers measuring across. The first weight goes on using 2 5/8 grade 5 bolts (3 inches long I think). The second weight goes on with two 6 inch bolts that go clear through the first weight AND the rim (wheel plate actually). The 3rd weight goes on with two 5 inch X 5/8 bolts. Those last two slip into the slotted holes and come out the front of the last weight with the nuts going on the outside. Flat washers both ends and lock washers under the nuts.
One person can put the first weight on but takes two to do the rest. These weights have a lip that sets in the previously mounted weight but with no way to reach around and put the nut and lock washers on it takes an extra pair of hands.
These weights will accept 3/4 bolts, but 3/4 won't quite fit the Kubota rim holes.

Last edited: