R-4 or R-1(Ag) for Plowing w/L2501

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
As it stands right now I get a lot of rear wheel spin/slippage on my old L245 (2wd) with R-1 tires when Im single bottom plowing.
Was told by another that they've had several people plowing with R-4 tires. Im not denying that you cant plow with R-4 tires but Im concerned about the efficiency in comparison long term.
I plan on doing a considerable amount of plowing and if I decide to buy a new L2501 (4wd) then I was thinking I want, and should get the R-1 and not the R-4 for better traction ???
Anyone with this type of experience ?

Last edited:

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
Agree, R1 will be much better for that type of ground engaging tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have any clay in your soil R4's will load up and spin very quickly, R1's are just a better dirt tire all around.
If you get a new unit get the wheels loaded and any wheel/rim weights that they can get you for it, the more weight the better for traction.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Agree, R1 will be much better for that type of ground engaging tasks.
Great thanks.

If you have any clay in your soil R4's will load up and spin very quickly, R1's are just a better dirt tire all around.
If you get a new unit get the wheels loaded and any wheel/rim weights that they can get you for it, the more weight the better for traction.
Yes good clay content here. Tires loaded, Extra weights. Thanks

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
only drawback to the r1's is if you still plan to use your tractor in your YARD..

they are no friend there if its any type of soft.

you dont care if you are plowing... but if you still mow or use it as a wheel barrow in your yard? you might change your mind real quick..

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I have no idea what particular options you will have in the size you need but I will add this to what I said (posted) earlier: When we went from R-1 bias tires to R-1 radial tires on our row-crop tractors, we were quite surprised at the positive gains in regards to traction, fuel consumption and ride quality. They also tend to self clean better due to the amount of flexing going on. All I am saying is if you have a radial option, give it some serious consideration.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
only drawback to the r1's is if you still plan to use your tractor in your YARD..

they are no friend there if its any type of soft.

you dont care if you are plowing... but if you still mow or use it as a wheel barrow in your yard? you might change your mind real quick..
Understood and Thanks

I have no idea what particular options you will have in the size you need but I will add this to what I said (posted) earlier: When we went from R-1 bias tires to R-1 radial tires on our row-crop tractors, we were quite surprised at the positive gains in regards to traction, fuel consumption and ride quality. They also tend to self clean better due to the amount of flexing going on. All I am saying is if you have a radial option, give it some serious consideration.
After a brief visit today at the dealership I must contemplate between L2501 to L3901. I will ask about the radial tires. Thanks for that as well.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I would definitely go with R-1 for plowing unless I was going to be on asphalt/concrete more than dirt. You would rather have a tractor that's a little too big than one too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
So this is a 2500 lb. +/- tractor with 18 drawbar HP (as tested) with four wheel drive. Assuming your tires are in acceptable condition and that the plow is adjusted properly. And since you've already indicated you have extra ballast added. There are only two possible issues. Either your tractor is too small for your plow, or, your plow is too big for your tractor. You didn't indicate what you're trying to pull, but this is certainly not a 3 plow tractor, likely not a 2-16 plow tractor, MAYBE a 2-14 plow tractor, but more probably than not just (barely) a 2-12 plow tractor. I see a lot of folks that post around here that are trying to run big tractor implements with little tractors. Keep in mind that the implement has to be sized correctly for the machine. Just because it can pick it up with the 3 point doesn't mean that its the right sized implement or for that matter that it is safe to use it that way. Just the opinion of an old farm kid that did a LOT of plowing growing up.
BTW, an old trail type plow will probably pull easier and do a better job than a mounted plow. But they're not very convenient. Set right a Little Genius will really cover nice though.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Good morning Mudball I am curious about what you are plowing?

Rarely in my area of NC do I see anyone plowing any more and when I do it is across fields to prevent erosion.

I do see them being used for a fallow field that has not been used in years.

Common here is to not turn up soil any deeper than 6" to 12" as the soil below that lacks many nutrients.

Just about your intended use and are options out there other than plowing to meet your needs.

Jay

As it stands right now I get a lot of rear wheel spin/slippage on my old L245 (2wd) with R-1 tires when Im single bottom plowing.
Was told by another that they've had several people plowing with R-4 tires. Im not denying that you cant plow with R-4 tires but Im concerned about the efficiency in comparison long term.
I plan on doing a considerable amount of plowing and if I decide to buy a new L2501 (4wd) then I was thinking I want, and should get the R-1 and not the R-4 for better traction ???
Anyone with this type of experience ?

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Good morning Mudball I am curious about what you are plowing?

Rarely in my area of NC do I see anyone plowing any more and when I do it is across fields to prevent erosion.

I do see them being used for a fallow field that has not been used in years.

Common here is to not turn up soil any deeper than 6" to 12" as the soil below that lacks many nutrients.

Just about your intended use and are options out there other than plowing to meet your needs.

Jay
Thanks for all the great help.
Creature Meadow Im plowing around a two acre piece of land with a single bottom plow after it was recently cleared and it use to have many thorned Honeylocust trees. One reason is I cant let it stand and bushhog because they are very hard to eradicate. Once you cut or remove the stump of a Honey Locust they spread and pop up all over from the feeder roots. With the help of my family we are removing many roots, small stumps, and rocks. Im plowing deep as well because this particular spot has a substantial amount of top soil in depth. After we are clear and free I might consider some kind of crop such as corn, tomatoes, livestock ? Idk yet. Here one of the many loads that we have removed in the past.

Attachments

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I thought I had read somewhere through searching on the web at one time that if you have the R-1 ag tires that I desire, then they wont tear up the grass in the yard near as bad if you unlock the four wheel drive and turn at a slower speed and a moderate radius.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Tordon RTU on the fresh cut stump of honey locust will eliminate them. If you've got too many for that, cut them off however you can, then when they get their new leaves broadcast spray a mixture of glyphosate (roundup) and 2,4-d (brush killer).

I wouldn't plow that, it just brings up more weed seeds. Depending on the intended use I might run a subsoiler after killing the honey locust to get rid of the stumps/roots, but they'll rot in a few years and return the nutrients to the soil.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I agree with scdeerslayer, go through the area with a subsoiler. It will be like starting all over with the bits of roots it may pull up, but it will stop the spread of the roots underground.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I believe the subsoiler also is a good choice go slow and it should do a fine job breaking the roots and bringing up the rocks.

Once large ones are removed then a landscape rake could be used to finish it off.

You for sure have a mess on your hands.

Good luck.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I will keep the sub-soiler in mind for sure, especially since they are not that expensive and I still have time to use one before we are done. We have just about got this 2 acres where we want it but I will continue to plow for several more seasons Im sure.
Thanks again for all the great help.