CCA vs MCA

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I'm looking to replace the battery in my L1500. It has a large battery box in it, so I'm thinking I might be able to fit a deep cycle marine battery in there and still have enough juice to start it. I think I can fit a battery with 750 MCA. According to the interwebz, CCA is sustained amperage at 0F for 30 s, and MCA is sustained amperage at 32F for 30 s.

I'm thinking that there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the 2 ratings; I'd certainly expect to lose some amperage going from the MCA rating to CCA, but not a lot. Am I FOS? Marine batteries have thicker plates to facilitate more charge / discharge, while automotive batteries have thinner plates to maximize surface area vs. weight.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
You want a starting battery. The deep cycle is not made for starting.

Oversizing the battery may not work well. It will take more output from the charger to keep a larger battery in full charge.

A marine battery will work as long as it's a starting battery.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I dont know about all the hype using a marine battery. They may stand up to the vibrations but they do not have the cranking amps. Now, a typical group 24 battery can rate up to 1000 cca which i strongly reccomend you avoid. Too many plates too close together. Thinner and will sulphate more quickly than a 650 cca for example. Also a larger capacity battery will require a higher output alternator just to maintain it. So little gains for unuseable amperage.

Mark15

Equipment
Kubota B20
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
If the battery is used for starting the tractor and not much else I agree with all the above. Lights don't matter too much either, especially LED ones.

However if you plan to use an electric winch much (I plan to build a 3 point log skidder with a 12v winch), than that is an application where a deep cycle battery would be useful. They can be discharged somewhat further than a starting battery without shortening the life of the battery.

It all depends on how the battery will be used.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Marine deep cycle batteries aren't really true deep cycle batteries. They're kind of a hybrid between starting batteries and deep cycle batteries so that they can start an engine and also run pumps and electronics all day.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I wouldn't rule out a winch at this point. Nice to have a little extra battery for jump starting too.

My Dakota came with a rather large 700 amp battery which lasted 14 years. It was still starting my truck when I changed I out but the positive terminal had corroded loose. I figured the size might have had something to do with it's longevity.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
As has been mentioned, marine starting / deep cycle batteries are almost always a hybrid battery with slightly thicker plates for deeper discharge use. They will not last in true deep discharge use. Not saying they don't have their place though. There is a significant difference in turning an engine over at 0f as compared to 32f, so make sure the cca rating you select is up to the task.
I personally like the Optima Yellow Top batteries.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I've had a deep cycle marine battery in my M4500 for over 6 years now (knock on wood) and it's been trouble free. The slow discharge rate is nice when I forget to shut the key off and the dash lights stay on overnight. :rolleyes:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Look into getting an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type battery. This is the "replacement battery technology" for Lead-Acid batteries (Flooded).

AGM batteries can be discharged and recharged (cycled) more times than Lead Acid, they take a charge faster, withstand heat and vibration better, and are sealed so they don't spill if tipped. The downside is that they cost more.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
AGM batteries are great. Got one in my Harley. Nothing to spill....but....never let one discharge ALL the way. It is finished. Lost a bran new one like that.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Optima batteries are agm. The longevity isnt much different than your typical battery of equivalent cca. I was disappointed when one day it dropped dead,the dealer i bought it from discontinued the optima line and no other dealers would touch it. So,dead optima 50% of its expected lifespan and too bad so sad.

So fast forward 12 or so years and last summer i put a group 31 in the same truck,sat all winter and fired up this spring like i parked it yesterday.

Got room? Stick in an industrial battery,like a group 31 and you wont be disappointed. Ton of amps,vibration resistant and a heavy duty case.
Caterpillar has about the best battery on the planet.not the brand im using and a this point i cant remember. Vulcan? Maybe. Dunno.memory fails me.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Also, make sure the charging system of the vehicle does not exceed 13.5 volts. AGM batteries are far more sensitive to over-voltage.