Main bearing

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I'm getting my butt kicked by a little bitty 3 cyl diesel engine. I need to know if there are any tricks to the trade. One of the main bearing carriers will not go back into the hole in the block that it came out of. Of course it has to be torqued on the driveshaft first but it won't go in on or off of the driveshaft. The other 2 carriers work fine. My first thought is to polish the outer surface some with emery cloth. I don't want to resort to trying to beat it all in with a hammer. I've checked all surfaces for damage and can find none. Anyone have any magic apart from the freezer to get this thing in?

Mike

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello. I assume you're talking about the main bearing carriers in the engine. They are all different sizes. Each one is stamped with a matching number. Smallest one first. you should not have to freeze them. they should enter the block. Good luck Lance

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Try turning it around. On my S2600 motor there is a "front" and a "Back" for each bearing case. Make sure both halves of the bearing carrier are facing the right direction when you bolt it together. I think My WSM says the Japanese symbols on the carrier halves should face the flywheel. I know it's a different engine, but they tend to be consistent about those things.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
Are the numbers on the halfs lined up. I have put together hundreds of these little motors and never had a problem here. Why are the motor apart. Are you just changing bearings.
Lance

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Lance, everything's lined up and in proper order. I marked the parts when I disassembled the engine. The only problem is the one carrier not wanting to fit back in its hole.. I can get it started but it's going to take some force to get it all the way in. I'm going to put it in the freezer overnight and see what that does. If that doesn't help, it's on To a dead blow hammer

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Don't forget to make sure the crank spins freely when you get it assembled. I also marked the parts on a Jeep engine not knowing somebody got to it before me. Put it back the same way and the crank was hard to turn. Took a bit to find the proper order and orientation of the bearing caps, but then the crank turned free. Good lesson to learn at seventeen.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
When I disassemble an engine, I do it with a hammer and punch close at hand.
That's my point. I did the same thing on the Jeep engine not knowing that somebody was there before me. I was repeating their error with a new crankshaft and bearings. Could have been a disaster.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
If the main cap is truly in the right place and orientation, then it is sprung. Did the engine come to one of those sudden stops? Broken crank or rod? If you do get it back in, check it with an internal micrometer to make sure it's round.