Chip DPF Delete Discussion

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Very interesting read all of this. One thing it's convinced me of - any thoughts of a new truck with a diesel engine just died.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
How long before the Particulate Filters reach the gasoline engine? Bosch has a new design of the diesel fuel system that brings the pollutants closer to or better than that of gasoline engines. I will try and find the article I read on it.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Very interesting read all of this. One thing it's convinced me of - any thoughts of a new truck with a diesel engine just died.
What for?
We picked up a new Diesel VW Touareg a year ago. Its been great. We had a 2006 V6 gas version 17 mpg average. The new 2016 V6 diesel 28 mpg. We have even hit 30. Diesel fuel is not going away.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
How long before the Particulate Filters reach the gasoline engine? Bosch has a new design of the diesel fuel system that brings the pollutants closer to or better than that of gasoline engines. I will try and find the article I read on it.
Never happen, different fuel and different combustion process.

On the Bosch system, take a look at the cost per unit.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
What for?
We picked up a new Diesel VW Touareg a year ago. Its been great. We had a 2006 V6 gas version 17 mpg average. The new 2016 V6 diesel 28 mpg. We have even hit 30. Diesel fuel is not going away.
That ain't squat. My 14 Focus hatch gets 41 combined city, highway and I bet I can outrun your diesel any day.

Heck, my 1997 F350, 7.3 gets 20 on the road and your Veedub would fit in the bed....:)

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
That ain't squat. My 14 Focus hatch gets 41 combined city, highway and I bet I can outrun your diesel any day.
Lets compare apples to apples. My 2013 Golf TDI got 50 mpg and up to 800+ miles per tank. ;)
Now back to the Touareg. Lets see you put 7,700 lbs on the back of the Focus and next to, I meant, behind me on the freeway. :D

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA

Diesels with the current emissions systems with the exception of NOx sometimes are cleaner than gas engines. The new Bosch system exceeds the EPA mandate through 2020 and is cleaner than current gasoline engines. I am by no means anything close to an expert. I just think diesel is here to stay. I will try and find the article on the gasoline engine particulate filters.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
This has become a normal part of everyday liife for me.
I've got to the pint now I just leave all my check engine lights covered with black tape so I don't have to stare at them every day and just keep on trucking.

Even when it does start to derate, I just keep driving now because almost every time it cures itself once it figures out it's just a stupid sensor that went wonky.

Every time you go to dealer it's at least $80 to clear code and turn lights off. Black tape is cheaper, LOL.

These new emissions have me absolutely hating trucks now and there is no way ever that I will ever again buy a diesel pickup.

The tractors seem to be working better, but I'll stick to my 26 h.p. B's and my 1955 Allis Chalmers for my bigger tractor. I'm not buying no DPF junk for personal use.

Attachments

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Every time you go to dealer it's at least $80 to clear code and turn lights off. Black tape is cheaper, LOL.
You can buy an OBD reader for $30 and clear your own codes. I carry one and a spare EGT probe. Yes, T4 sucks but modern diesel trucks will outperform any older non T4's.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
It has emission cheating software.
You are absolutely right.
There is one chemical, (NOx), that will sometimes be out of the EPA guidelines. For the most part they are better than the older diesels. The Germans were smart enough to make it pass the testing. Just were not smart enough to not get caught. And they are paying a pretty Dollar, ( not penny ), for that.
As they should be. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You can buy an OBD reader for $30 and clear your own codes.
Not related to diesel, but I did buy one for our cars a couple years ago.

In New York, you can't get your vehicle inspected with a Check Engine light on...it's good to clear codes when necessary...….:cool:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You can buy an OBD reader for $30 and clear your own codes. I carry one and a spare EGT probe. Yes, T4 sucks but modern diesel trucks will outperform any older non T4's.
Agreed, but modern diesel trucks designed without nonsensical TIER whatever regulations would outperform modern diesel trucks designed to comply with nonsensical TIER whatever regulations.

They would, of course, also use less fuel.

Thanks, federales.

SDT

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
They would, of course, also use less fuel.

Thanks, federales.

SDT
And that is the hard part to wrap our head around.
More miles per gallon now with the new technologies means less pollution emitted per mile than the older vehicles. Yet they are considered “dirty” diesels because they are having a harder, (high cost), time meeting the tougher standards even though the newer vehicles are way ahead in pollution reduction. And these latest standards will never be met by the older diesels.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA

Google it.

***8220;Mercedes-Benz is the first manufacturer to opt for the large-scale use of particulate filters for petrol engines to further improve their environmental compatibility. After more than two years of positive experience in the field with the S 500, in 2017 further S-Class variants will be equipped with the new M 256 and M 176 petrol engines with this technology. The filter will then be gradually introduced in other new vehicle models, facelifted models and new engine generations, such as the M 264. After that, use of the particulate filter is also planned for the current model series.***8221;

Not only are they coming. They are here, and here to stay.
Cost be dammed.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
***8220;Volkswagen is introducing gasoline particulate filters (GPFs) to its petrol cars as part of wider plans to improve emissions across its whole range - and it predicts reductions of particulate emissions in some models by up to 95%.

The Up GTI gained GPF technology earlier this year, but the device was already used on the manual-transmission variant of the Tiguan 1.4 TSI in Germany and is being rolled out across the brand's other cars.***8221;

Just in case someone thinks this is only happening in Luxury Cars.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Google it.

***8220;Mercedes-Benz is the first manufacturer to opt for the large-scale use of particulate filters for petrol engines to further improve their environmental compatibility. After more than two years of positive experience in the field with the S 500, in 2017 further S-Class variants will be equipped with the new M 256 and M 176 petrol engines with this technology. The filter will then be gradually introduced in other new vehicle models, facelifted models and new engine generations, such as the M 264. After that, use of the particulate filter is also planned for the current model series.***8221;

Cost be dammed.
I do not believe that such nonsense is here to stay.

As a 50+ year student of history, I can testify that things that do not make sense, economic, or otherwise, have very limited life from a historical perspective.

Sanity is beginning to return to DC.

Stay tuned.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Google it.

Cost be dammed.
Sounds like EU rubbish to me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Like I said before, everything I own diesel wise smokes and that is just peach with me.

They all even have road draft tubes....lol

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I can't really agree there. My 2007 6.0 Powerstroke and 5.9 Cummins got way better fuel mileage than the new 6.7 Powerstroke. I'm currently getting the same mileage with a 5.4 Triton gasser as the new 6.7 Powerstroke gets.

And my New DD15 and Cummins ISX SCR engines don't come close to pulling like my 2002 and 2005 C15 Cat and they are getting the same to slightly worse fuel mileage.

I'm not sold on anything post EPA 2005. And I certainly am not going to care about the exhaust emissions when we all have to pay carbon tax now, yet the coal plants got a free pass.