Left and Right Brakes?

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
OK, I only have a BX2370, but how far do you have to go before you get separate left and right brakes? They sure can make a job a lot easier. They also can save the day when on the brakes downhill and one wheel decides to spin backwards and the other keeps turning forward. For now I just make sure there is enough rear ballast.

I was just pushing some dirt and couldn't steer and made me think of this question.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK, I only have a BX2370, but how far do you have to go before you get separate left and right brakes? They sure can make a job a lot easier. They also can save the day when on the brakes downhill and one wheel decides to spin backwards and the other keeps turning forward. For now I just make sure there is enough rear ballast.

I was just pushing some dirt and couldn't steer and made me think of this question.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here with my "theory" as to why you dont see L/R brakes on SCUTS.

Most of the time in ag fields you wanted to turn around quicker rather than making long sweeping turns to get back to the row you just left - thus separate brakes allowed you to do so. But I am going to bet that most of us - and there are those that do plant with BX tractors - do not need to spin around on a "dime" - the SCUTS will turn fairly quick on their own, short wheelbase etc..

As for separate braking in your situation - would not help at all, matter of fact it would make it worse! As a wheel spins, there is friction - no matter which way is spins, there is a slow drawn out friction inside and outside the drivetrain. ONCE the wheel stops spinning - you are toast, the momentum now is allowed to increase as the friction is no longer! AS the one wheel stops spinning - the other must move twice as fast - thus breaking traction faster! Two wheel locked will increase speed going downhill if traction is lost! Thus the reason all cars now have antilock brakes!

THE best advantage you have when going downhill - especially with HST is to place it into 4WD - even for the manual gears - it would allow ALL four wheel to have braking powers without brakes on the fronts.

Ballast helps - but having all four wheels engaged is the best way period to have control on the ol "slippery slope"

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmmm I didnt know the BX had right and left brakes,,, the things you learn in here

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
There are times I wish I had separate L/R brakes on BX25D. Mostly in situations where one tire is spinning in the much and light application of a brake on the spinning side would force the other tire to apply more torque to the ground, just as 'traction control' does in cars and pickups.
I'd also like to see the diff locker and 4WD not be a foot lever and a hand lever but electrically activated knobs on the dash. Bright flashing light in the center of the knobs if needed to 'warn the operator'.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Whewww thanks Hokie,, I was starting to think I lost a bunch of parts some place ;)

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
My B2601 has separate breaks. I use them sometimes when back dragging with down pressure. Sometimes I use them in a tight spot in the woods. When going downhill, I always use 4wd. I made the mistake once of not having my tractor in 4wd, going down my big hill, and I had to do some Ricky Bobby driving to keep the rear end from coming around.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
As for separate braking in your situation - would not help at all, matter of fact it would make it worse!
I just wanted to make a clarifying point: properly adjusted differential (R/L brakes, one pedal each) brakes which can be latched together would be useful and safe, as long as adjustment was maintained and the pedals were latched together when not needed for their differential capabilities.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
As for separate braking in your situation - would not help at all, matter of fact it would make it worse! "
You're right Hokie, I just wanted to clarify this point. If properly adjusted and latched unless the differential braking was needed for turning/escaping mud, separate brakes are perfectly safe.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
As somebody who grew up running 8N Fords, separate wheel brakes are AWESOME, and I wish like hell the BX tractors had them.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Separate wheel brakes will spoil you, kind of like HST, power steering, cushioned seats and other improvements over horses! :D

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Separate wheel brakes will spoil you, kind of like HST, power steering, cushioned seats and other improvements over horses! :D
My grandfather built Kubota power steering kits in a factory down in Southern California, so I'll be upgrading my L185DT sometime with a retrofit kit if I can find one, so then I'll have a piece of my grandfather helping me use my tractor for a long time after he's left us. He was just telling me a bunch of stories about how they tested and built equipment when my wife and I visited this weekend!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I'm confused: don't your tractors have a differential lock pedal for the rear axle? There's no need to apply one brake to overcome a spinning tire if you can simply lock the diff.

Now, separate brakes (or any brakes at all!) on the front axle could be handy occasionally...

The one thing I'd like to use the separated rear brakes for occasionally is keeping a straight line when scraping or back-blading with the FEL, when the front wheels are not doing much steering. But it is awkward to accomplish given that both brakes and the HST pedals are on the right. Especially in reverse, which is done with one's heel on the B7100.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
I'm confused: don't your tractors have a differential lock pedal for the rear axle? There's no need to apply one brake to overcome a spinning tire if you can simply lock the diff.

Now, separate brakes (or any brakes at all!) on the front axle could be handy occasionally...

The one thing I'd like to use the separated rear brakes for occasionally is keeping a straight line when scraping or back-blading with the FEL, when the front wheels are not doing much steering. But it is awkward to accomplish given that both brakes and the HST pedals are on the right. Especially in reverse, which is done with one's heel on the B7100.
My tractor does have a diff lock pedal just behind my right heel. I'll usually set the RPM around 2k with the hand throttle for FEL work and if I get on an angle with the high wheel spinning, it's 50-50 whether I want to hit the clutch, pop the transmission into a lower gear, and fiddle with getting the lock engaged as gently as possible or avoid all that and lean on the spinning wheel's brake a bit.

Okay, it's more like 95-5 that I'll stop spinning and lock the diff rather than unlatch and fiddle with the brakes. I have used the diff brakes for front end loader steering, especially pushing forward to scoop off a hard surface, like you said where the front wheels are not doing much.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
it's 50-50 whether I want to hit the clutch, pop the transmission into a lower gear, and fiddle with getting the lock engaged as gently as possible or avoid all that and lean on the spinning wheel's brake a bit.
Ah, I hadn't thought about a geared transmission. Adding a bit of brake to the spinning wheel might be the fastest solution in that case.

Life is so much simpler with HST: back off pedal, stomp diff lock lever, ease back on pedal, drive. :D

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ah, I hadn't thought about a geared transmission. Adding a bit of brake to the spinning wheel might be the fastest solution in that case.

Life is so much simpler with HST: back off pedal, stomp diff lock lever, ease back on pedal, drive. :D
For an HST, I would want the diff lock to be a hand lever, or at least a latching foot lever. (like a Taplight, tap on, tap off) Sometimes I find myself thinking how much easier most of my FEL work would be if we had bought a new tractor or searched for a used one with HST, but the '77 gets 'er done.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Guys,

I think somewhere the point of why brakes are separate are getting a little misunderstood.

NOW true, one wheel spinning, stomp on that side brake and the other wills spin (at twice normal speed I might add) Where as the diffy lock gives you true 50-50 locked split.

but when a farmer wanted to make a shaaaarp turn to the left or the right, to get to the next row, they would stomp on that side brake pedal and the machine would literally turn on the dime!!!

I had a 8n (53 Jubilee to be exact) it had brakes on one side (despite new - never could get left side to work well) if I needed to spin hard right, I would cut the wheel and stomp on the right brake, that beast would throw you out the seat while cutting hard right!:eek::)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Or you're moving a 1200# bale of hay with the loader in the middle of winter and the front tires are in mush, mud and old hay... especially with a two wheel drive tractor. The individual brake peddle becomes part of the steering.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Both of you are absolutely right. I love slamming my tractor through a hard turn, especially in mud. It's come in handy when I thought I was stuck, and I just reverse-pivoted the thing right out.