Swapping Engines/G/GF to BX

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
I have always been curious about this topic.
Would any of the Kubota G & GF series or their other earlier Lawn & Garden diesel engines fit the older BX tractors? (Mine is a 2 cyl. BX1500 for reference).
I know my tractor is somewhat bastardized due to it actually being shorter than a standard BX but as an old Wheelhorse guy, we always saw how many different components would fit other model tractors through many model years before major changes are made.
I see these 3 cyl diesels in the G/GF heavy lawn mower line from the late 90's to early 00's and often wondered if they would bolt up to an early BX without massive modifications. (engine alignment, crankshaft diameters and length).
Mine is fine but you see the old mowers with running diesels in them for very little $$$ and I wondered if it would be worth buying one up to keep a reserve powerplant.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
More likely a "I don't know" . I'm sure if someone knew it couldn't be done,they would say so

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Any engine could be put in there with enough tools and determination!
That determination ....will have $$$$$ in front and behind $$$$$$:)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
85hokie is correct once again!

People fail to realize that just because some mower has a D782 in it, that don't mean that it's the same D782 as another machine might use. D782 used for example only. There are other numbers and letters on that engine model that designate it's specific model application-and there are differences galore in even the same D782 series...some are 3000 RPM, some are 3600, some are 1800, some are even turbocharged (though rare)-and have internal differences, some have bolt holes that others don't, the list goes on and on and on. AND....for instance if your little Z engine turns 3600 and then for instance you had to replace it with a D902 for example (more power!!), and it only turns 2800, your PTO will be slow, travel speed will be slow, and worst of all the hydraulic pump output would be down a little.

I would imagine that some different engines would swap in just fine but the problem is that you need to know your engines and know them well, and I certainly don't know that information. There's way too many variants of even the same engine series for me to keep up with and I just gave up trying.