Repair of broken hood on GR2120

jimazores

Sep 29, 2017
horta, azores, portugalorange
I do not know what kind of plastic the hood (bonnet) on a GR2120 is made from but I have several areas that I want to repair by gluing if that is possible. Anyone have experience on this? Can you get epoxy resin and glass cloth to adhere to this plastic?
Thanks for any ideas, Jim

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I do not know what kind of plastic the hood (bonnet) on a GR2120 is made from but I have several areas that I want to repair by gluing if that is possible. Anyone have experience on this? Can you get epoxy resin and glass cloth to adhere to this plastic?
Thanks for any ideas, Jim
Yes you can - but you will need to rough up that surface to have the resin adhere to it. The prep work will be the key to making it work.

I would sand it and rough it up, and then do multi coats of mat and resin. Sand that and repaint.;):)

jimazores

Sep 29, 2017
horta, azores, portugalorange
After gluing the parts back in place I followed by several layers of glass cloth laminated with epoxy resin both on the inside and outside. After finishing and painting it looks original and is probably much stronger than original.
Superglue worked to hold the pieces in place until the laminating could be done.