GR2100 reliability?

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
So a local implement dealer has a GR2100 with about 250 hours on it (Gas v-twin) it's really clean and appears well cared for. I've read though that the tranny, pto clutch, and glide-steer system can be problematic on these. Anybody have any input, especially the service dept. types?
Haven't had a chance to run it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too have heard the tranny is the first thing to be a problem with those mowers

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
VERY well known for transmission issues. PTO clutches and glide-steer issues. The big problem is the expense of having the stuff fixed when it does fail, people tend to remember how much it costs and whine loudly when it's a thousand dollars to repair a lawn mower. Understandably so.

I've had several opportunities to buy the diesel versions and stepped away from them. Those and a lot of MTD/Yard Man/Craftsman's are about the only mowers that I won't buy/re-sell, if that tells you anything. I have a reputation to uphold meaning I want people to have a decent mower, and I won't sell something that's questionable-including the GR2100.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Quick update on this question. So... a nearby Kubota dealer basically implied don't take it if they offer to give it to you! "We have 3 of them sitting in the lot at our other store because customers refuse to put another dime in them". Got to appreciate their honesty!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Quick update on this question. So... a nearby Kubota dealer basically implied don't take it if they offer to give it to you! "We have 3 of them sitting in the lot at our other store because customers refuse to put another dime in them". Got to appreciate their honesty!

I actually like the mowers, but they're a little slow, and reliability really needs to come up for me to want to buy one. Great cut quality, very stable on hills and ditch banks, but if they'd just stay together.....

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Yeah, but if you're faced with the prospect of dumping a couple grand at a dealer into a "mower" repeatedly for mechanical problem that is likely to recur then there is a point where cut quality and other niceties don't matter so much.
The glide steer is an interesting concept, basically replace the differential with a set of clutches that disengage one axel or the other when turning. Someone apparently didn't do their homework though when assessing the axel loads on the first version transmission. If I knew enough about the tranny case and I thought I could machine it to accept an upgraded bearing I might be willing to take a chance on one. But it's a lot of work for an experiment unless you get the tractor for practically nothing.