Yes..another newbie owner post.

Crankypants60

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Sep 21, 2017
Mission, B.C. Canada
Hi everyone!

So, it's too late to ask whether I should or shouldn't, but here's the back story. A few weeks back I went to look at a neighbour's 66 Galaxie for sale. They were moving off their acreage and were last-minute trying to clean up the barns etc. The price was right on the car and I was pretty much leaning already towards the purchase when I remembered that they used to have a 4x4 Kubota that I hadn't seen around for years. I asked about it and they said it had been parked about 5 years earlier in one of the barns when it overheated and were quoted about 800 dollars to replace the water pump.

I asked if I could have a look and sure enough it was a B6000 sitting nice and dry in a barn with the FEL, rear blade and counter-weight sitting detached nearby. Long story short, after humming and hawing for a while about the car purchase, they offered the Kubota for free if I bought the car. By this time I had spent some time on this wonderful site and learned a thing or two about these tractors ( for example no water pump? )and figured I would be an idiot not to take the deal, as I figure the value of the FEL, blade and parts alone would justify taking it off their hands.

So...done deal! I am now the proud owner of a not-running B6000 in pretty good cosmetic condition with attachments! I need to confess right up front that I'm hopeless when it comes to mechanics but I have some great friends who are savvy and I'm hoping I'm not too old to learn with their help and hopefully the amazing collective wisdom on this site :)

I've added a "before" album already but will try and post a pic here too.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi everyone!

So, it's too late to ask whether I should or shouldn't, but here's the back story. A few weeks back I went to look at a neighbour's 66 Galaxie for sale. They were moving off their acreage and were last-minute trying to clean up the barns etc. The price was right on the car and I was pretty much leaning already towards the purchase when I remembered that they used to have a 4x4 Kubota that I hadn't seen around for years. I asked about it and they said it had been parked about 5 years earlier in one of the barns when it overheated and were quoted about 800 dollars to replace the water pump.

I asked if I could have a look and sure enough it was a B6000 sitting nice and dry in a barn with the FEL, rear blade and counter-weight sitting detached nearby. Long story short, after humming and hawing for a while about the car purchase, they offered the Kubota for free if I bought the car. By this time I had spent some time on this wonderful site and learned a thing or two about these tractors ( for example no water pump? )and figured I would be an idiot not to take the deal, as I figure the value of the FEL, blade and parts alone would justify taking it off their hands.

So...done deal! I am now the proud owner of a not-running B6000 in pretty good cosmetic condition with attachments! I need to confess right up front that I'm hopeless when it comes to mechanics but I have some great friends who are savvy and I'm hoping I'm not too old to learn with their help and hopefully the amazing collective wisdom on this site :)

I've added a "before" album already but will try and post a pic here too.
I had a 67 galaxy - 2 door hardtop with 390 4 speed in the console ! That car would sht and get! Glad I sold it before kids!!!

Getting back to the orange machine.....water pump??? Not sure - but I believe the B6000 does not have a water pump, thermosyphon system.
I would see if the engine has overheated to a point that the water pump is the last thing it is gonna need!!!!

I would pull the glow plugs and see if it will spin at all! If locked up.

Remember - you have a counter rotating pto !!!! SO blade work is fine but anything that turns ....pto wise.....gonna be a PITA

Congrats on car and tractor!!!!:D:)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Cathy tells us a while back about a tractor that was ran after the oil plug came out....the engine is fine, nothing to worry about.

Now today, scrap this tractor...it reportedly overheated and doesn't run. Don't bother looking at it, just scrap it.

Did you forget your meds today?

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Cathy tells us a while back about a tractor that was ran after the oil plug came out....the engine is fine, nothing to worry about.

Now today, scrap this tractor...it reportedly overheated and doesn't run. Don't bother looking at it, just scrap it.

Did you forget your meds today?
We never did hear whether that engine was fine or not, just lots of speculation. Obviously it is much easier to restore things that still run, its simple. Guess you have no experience with restoring old vehicles. But some people have a lot of free time to tinker/waste, not us. Better to fix up the Galaxie, it will be worth something running. That tractor, not so much, no wonder it was free.

Last edited:

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
scrap it with out even giving it a shot to live again? sounds like a bunch of city slicker crap to me.

I bought a 1956 Massey Harris 333 from a guy that didn't have a choice when I asked if he wanted to sell it in front of his wife.
Get rid of that eye sore she said. so I got a nice tractor only needed a O ring put on the sleeve they installed improperly and have worked that thing now for over 20 years.

I had a 65 gaxile 2 dr. ht with a 352 in it.

:D Al

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Put water in it and see if it will start. No big deal to fix a water pump if it runs and doesn't have water in the exhaust or oil.
Dad had a 63 1/2 when I was little - black. I cried when he sold that car (a gear-head even as a little kid!)

If you're going to scrap it.... drop it all off in Mount Vernon Ohio! :)

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I would love to find a kubota like that and bring it back to life.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Crankypants60

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Sep 21, 2017
Mission, B.C. Canada
Thanks for all the replies!

First off, for the Galaxie lovers, I'll post a picture or two in the off-topic forum when I'm done here...she's going to be great fun to have! :D

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at the "scrap it" sentiment but I do get that sometimes life is too short to have non-working machinery around and the work needs to get done! Fortunately, my situation is such that while I will definitely benefit from having a working tractor at my disposal, it's never been a necessity as such. OTOH, as I get older, the "need" is certainly becoming more apparent:eek:

I guess there's a part of me that just loves the idea of giving this little rig a new life if at all possible. I love old stuff in general and this simple little tractor has captured my imagination! Even without any PTO attachments I can think of tons of stuff I can do around my place with just the FEL and the blade.

I think it deserves a second chance. Another upside is that with the Galaxie and the B6000 I'll get to spend some quality time working on it with friends and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We never did hear whether that engine was fine or not, just lots of speculation. Obviously it is much easier to restore things that still run, its simple. Guess you have no experience with restoring old vehicles. But some people have a lot of free time to tinker/waste, not us. Better to fix up the Galaxie, it will be worth something running. That tractor, not so much, no wonder it was free.
So you're saying restoring the Galaxis is worth the time to restore, but not the tractor...because the tractor won't be worth much when done?

I think someone in your family gets on this forum when no one else is looking! Better get "tiny" under control.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
My first car was a 67 Galaxy with a 390, had lots of fun in her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Fix the tractor. Whether you use it yourself or sell it it's a win win.
The Galaxy will become your hobby / lifetime project if you want it to be.
Of put a for sale sign on it and move on.