engine question

mike5657

Dec 14, 2011
kingwood west virginia
i have a bobcat skid steer that i bought from a guy he let it set and didn't have enough antifreeze in it and it froze up and pushed the freeze plugs in the head under valve cover outand was wondering if they had a freeze plug kit instead of buying them seperate the motor is a v2203e and do they have this motor in anything besides skid steers don't know if anyone has an answer or not just thought i would ask thanks mike5657.

lovemyorange

Dec 18, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
You will need to replace all the plugs, and probably a lot more. This is going to be a big project, and I'm wondering if it will ever be right again. If it has sat like this, I would imagine many of rings and seals are bad. You have a lot of work ahead! I have to say thought this is one of those times when I like to consult someone. Have you considered angies list? You could probably find a mechanic to help diagnose all the problems.

Last edited:

mike5657

Dec 14, 2011
kingwood west virginia
not worried about the work can do it myself for the most part if i can find the parts at a reasonable price going to rebuild the motor to start and go from there the machine is in pretty good shape it has a backhoe attchment with 2 buckets and an extra bucket for the machine itself .and i don't have much money in it and can afford to put some in it.

Roadhammer

Equipment
L2350DT
Dec 23, 2011
Sumterville, FL
You might get lucky. Freeze plugs are designed to relieve the pressure of the ice and prevent cracking of the block. You might just have to replace plugs, flush oil if any plugs breach into oil gallery. Also, be sure to check if any plugs are located at backside of engine block where clutch is. If so, you might have to remove engine to access.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You might get lucky. Freeze plugs are designed to relieve the pressure of the ice and prevent cracking of the block. You might just have to replace plugs, flush oil if any plugs breach into oil gallery. Also, be sure to check if any plugs are located at backside of engine block where clutch is. If so, you might have to remove engine to access.
There is no such thing as a "Freeze plug" on an engine. What you are refering to are Core Plugs or Soft Plugs. Only function of this plug is to fill the holes used to remove sand from the casting process. They are not now or were ever designed to releive pressure from ice in the water jacket of a block or head. Once in a great while they wil dislodge and help save a casting but not very often, if they are out most likly you have damage.
Only way to know for sure is to replace them or reinstall the old ones, fill with water and pressure test the cooling system. If it holds pressure for an extended period of time you got lucky.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
I agree on the "core plug" description. Sometimes they push out and help, sometimes they don't. Go with the pressure check before you tear it down. V2203 blocks aren't hard to come by. I have one in the barn that I bought for the flywheel and bellhousing for another engine. Had a cracked head.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Whitetiger, just for the sake of discussion. Ask 10 people that are halfway familiar with engines what a core plug is and I doubt even 1 will know. Ask the same question and use the word " freeze plug" and 9 will know what you are talking about. So technically , you are correct but in the real world, it don't work.
That round electric saw that you hold with 1 hand and cut boards with, is universaly refereed to as a skill saw. It's not, unless it has the word Skill written on it. It's a circular saw, but since Skill is the one who introduced it, the word skill has become synonumus with that type of saw .
In the "south", when company comes and you ask them if they want a coke, that doesn't mean, Coca Cola. It means, do you want a soft drink? They then ask, what kind do you have?
And we think other languages are hard to learn.

gazza

Sep 2, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Whitetiger, just for the sake of discussion. Ask 10 people that are halfway familiar with engines what a core plug is and I doubt even 1 will know. Ask the same question and use the word " freeze plug" and 9 will know what you are talking about. So technically , you are correct but in the real world, it don't work.
That round electric saw that you hold with 1 hand and cut boards with, is universaly refereed to as a skill saw. It's not, unless it has the word Skill written on it. It's a circular saw, but since Skill is the one who introduced it, the word skill has become synonumus with that type of saw .
In the "south", when company comes and you ask them if they want a coke, that doesn't mean, Coca Cola. It means, do you want a soft drink? They then ask, what kind do you have?
And we think other languages are hard to learn.
And then just to make it more confusing...
In Australia and probably other countries these are known as "Welsh plugs"
Answer:

a welsh plug is a plug in the side of the block and the heads.

these fill the holes left after casting.they actually allow the sand to be removed that is used during casting so as you have a hollow block which allows for the water jackets. in the USA these welsh plugs are called freeze plugs. they really do not stop the coolant from damaging the block if coolant freezes

they are specifically to block the casting holes

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_welsh_plug#ixzz1hUZZtvfc

cheers
Gazza

mike5657

Dec 14, 2011
kingwood west virginia
i have worked on cars and trucks for close to 40 years and had a few rounds behind the parts counter and if you was to ask a lot of people if they needed core plugs they would look at you like you were stupid but if you ask if they needed freeze plugs or soft plugs they would more than likely say yesand i already know about checking the head all i ask was if anyone knew if they had the plugs in a kit not the history of them.

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Ok I'll ask the dumb question that I don't think's been answered yet. Why callem freeze plugs? When I was in Alaska we popped them out to install a freeze plug heater, basically a heated coil that plugged into a 110 v outlet to keep the fluid from totally freezing at 40 below. Is this the only function of those removeable plugs?

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
There is no such thing as a "Freeze plug" on an engine. What you are refering to are Core Plugs or Soft Plugs. Only function of this plug is to fill the holes used to remove sand from the casting process. They are not now or were ever designed to releive pressure from ice in the water jacket of a block or head. Once in a great while they wil dislodge and help save a casting but not very often, if they are out most likly you have damage.
Only way to know for sure is to replace them or reinstall the old ones, fill with water and pressure test the cooling system. If it holds pressure for an extended period of time you got lucky.
So what is this guy talking about?

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
Google explained it below:
Core plugs, sometimes wrongly called freeze plugs or frost plugs, are plugs that fill the core holes found on water-cooled internal combustion engines.

The sand casting cores are used to form the internal cavities in the engine block or cylinder head(s), usually forming the coolant passages. The traditional plug is a thin, domed, disc of ferrous metal which is pressed into a machined hole in the casting. Alternatively a non-ferrous metal such as brass offers improved corrosion prevention. In some high-performance engines the core plugs are large diameter pipe plugs.[1]

Core plugs can often be a source of troublesome leaks as a result of internal cooling system corrosion. Ease of replacement depends on accessibility. In many cases the plug area will be difficult to reach and using a mallet to perform maintenance or replacement will be nearly impossible without special facilities. Expanding rubber plugs are available as replacements when access is a problem.

A true freeze plug is an expansion plug located in the side of an engine block that is supposed to protect the block against freeze damage. Water expands when it turns to ice, and if the coolant does not have enough antifreeze protection it can freeze and crack the engine block. The freeze plugs (there are usually several) are supposed to pop out under such conditions to relieve the pressure on the block.

A variety of block heater called a "freeze plug heater" can be installed, replacing the freeze plugs, to warm the engine before start up.

The Welch plug was originally designed by the Welch Brothers of the Welch Motor Car Company of Pontiac Michigan in the early 1900s.

"At that time core holes in the engine blocks were fitted with pipe plugs. During one of these run-ins a pipe plug backed out. In order to get back on the road one of the brothers drove a quarter or half dollar into the hole. From this they developed the Welch plug, some with the help of my Great Grandfather Martin Hubbard. They then patented the plug and the M.D. Hubbard Spring Company become the sole manufacturer of the Welch plug for the life of the patent."[2] The Welch plug being the domed disk which is fitted against a shoulder in the core hole and then the dome struck with a hammer to collapse the dome and expand the disk to seal the core. Other core plugs are a dish design when pressed into the casting hole the tapered sides form the seal. These core plugs do not require the shoulder inside and are the principal design used in modern engines.

God don't ya just love the internet. Now if someone could find an easy answer to women...