L2250 Fuel Pump leave off or put on?

P.Holm

Equipment
L2250 4WD,FEL,60"belly mower,60" JD bush hog,60" JD box blade-Kubota T1400
Apr 24, 2009
Lakeland,Fl
I recently lucked into a L2250 which had been sitting for 4-5 years.
with the helpful advice from this forum we replaced the bad injector pump with a pump off an old L2050 and it's been working well.
Now the question, the l2050 did not use a fuel pump so when we put on the injector pump we bypassed the pump on the 250 and it seems to work just fine.
Am I missing and performance buy not using the pump on the 2250?
will I have low fuel pressure at lower engine speed?
any help would be appreciated ,the sevice guy at the dealership simply said "gee I don't know for sure ,good question."

Thanks!

osut362

Equipment
M9000dtc, b7500hs
Mar 15, 2009
Lindale, Texas
is the fuel tank higher (mounted above) than the IP? if so no lift pump will be required. if the fuel tank is below the IP you may need the lift pump during periods if high horsepower requirements. if you add a lift pump and its not needed the extra fuel will bypass and go back to the tank anyway. i can't see how adding a lift pump could hurt if it's not needed except to add extra money to the project.......al

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I agree with osut362 in that "gravity" fed pump may be ok but since you mentioned that the pump was bypassed and it is already on the tractor why not use it? Return fuel is normal but if there was a chance of starving the IP then not only power loss but IP longterm failure due to cavitation. If the feed line is small then the pump may be required to keep enough fuel at the IP to satisfy it's demands.