L245 Leaking Fuel

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
My buddy's L245 has been leaking fuel from around the fuel delivery valve holders on top of the injector pump. The previous owner had gasket sealer around them trying to fix the leak but didn't work. I took the holders off and replace the copper seals which are nothing more than a copper washer. I also replaced the holders themselves since they were only $5 each. Put all back together and they seemed to be holding until the tractor was shut off and they began leaking again. They leak where the holders and pump meet. The old ones had o-rings on them even though the parts manual doesn't show them. I also checked with the local Kubota dealer and they researched it and verified that they don't show them having o-rings either. Weird thing is that another friend of mine has a L245 and he replaced the seals at the same time and his had o-rings on his too. The new holders had a different part number that super-seeds the original part number. Was hoping that they realized they had a problem and then updated the part to fix the issue but no luck. Anyone else have or seen this issue?

Here is a pic of a L245 engine i found on the internet with the holders pointed out with red arrows. green shows where the leaks are. This pic even shows some seepage from around the holder on the left.

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry so long.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
L245 uses basically the same engine as my L175 just with an extra cylinder and a few different parts. My parts diagram shows the same, no oring, but I took one out of each piston assembly and put new ones back in. I don't remember the size, and there's a chance they're different, but I could go remeasure mine if you'd like. Alternatively a cheap set of hardware store calipers and an oring reference chart (measure bore and groove and use actual sizes, you want the oring to be slightly larger) will tell you all you need to know. Be aware these were originally metric orings and the closest inch size is a bit larger. I had to screw the nut down finger tight and then gently push the oring into the hole with a small screw driver but they seal ok.

Last edited:

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Thanks Stumpy,
So you're saying that yours had o-rings on them an you replaced the o-rings with new ones? I guess we'll try the o-ring route. Not sure what else it could be. Just so surprised that the parts diagram doesn't show them.:mad:

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Update...

Put on the o-rings today and that seems to have fixed the problem. Can't believe the parts manual doesn't show them.:confused:

Reactions: 1 user

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
You got me Phildac. I flipped through my book and none of the ones I glanced at showed the orings. I can only guess they decided they added them after the part diagrams were at the printer and never bothered to update them.

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Yesterday I replaced the O rings and copper washers or shims on my L345DT that had the same leaking problem as your L245. Although the manual didn't show the O rings, they were there on the L345DT too.

What initially started my leaks was when I loosened the fuel lines and the d-valve holders came loose before the flare nuts did. The old O rings were hardened and flattened on the outside.

What I am trying to run down is what torque spec to use for tightening the delivery valve holders.